Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Any Recent Reviews for Osteria Via Stato in Chicago??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12th, 2005, 08:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We'll be doing a "mini" GTG here for dinner on Saturday, Dec. 3 if anyone is interested in joining the fun. ><

How's the food? wine? atmosphere? what to wear? (MelissaHI needs to know what to pack!) Give us YOUR review!
Old Nov 12th, 2005, 09:02 AM

OMG thanks Makai1!!!

Also, is there so much food that I should skip lunch that day?
Old Nov 12th, 2005, 09:28 AM
Original Poster

me thinks so...
Old Nov 13th, 2005, 12:14 PM
Original Poster

ttt... on a WINDY day in the windy city . DA Bears !!!
Old Nov 13th, 2005, 02:12 PM

I was there in April so it isn't a recent review but since no one else has offered anything up yet, I copied a review I posted to another website after we went. Reservations are essential on the weekends, attire I'd say is casual, it seemed like it was a trendy crowd when we went. They wouldn't turn you away in jeans but I imagine you'll feel more comfortable dressing a bit nicer. And yes, you should eat very light for lunch

I liked the concept, it's supposed to resemble a traditional Italian meal with the courses getting smaller as dinner progresses through antipasto, pasta, entree. The antipasto and pasta are chosen for you.

We had a party of 6 so we ended up with our own table, if you go with a smaller party you may end up sharing one of the communal tables with some other folks. There are some smaller tables for 2 and 4, if you really want one, you should specify at the time you are making a reservation or maybe plan on going a little earlier.

Service was great, there are 2 servers, one for the beverages and one for the food and they fully explain everything to you.

I guess my only negative thought on this place is that the price is a little out of kilter with the food, we ended up spending about $90 per person including wine, tax and tip. But it was an enjoyable experience, just don't know that I would frequent this place with so many other affordable Italian options in the city. The menu is a 3 course fixed price, for $35.95 per person you get several antipasto choices, 2 pasta dishes and a choice of 8-10 entrees.

The Tribune review said you would get 6 antipasto, I think we only had three or four-olives, buffalo mozzarella, a chickpea salad and carmelized onions, I'm not a big chickpea fan but I enjoyed the mozzarella and onions. The pasta course was one white pasta with doughy noodles and snow peas, the other pappardelle, long strips of pasta with a sauce of Italian sausage, pork, beef and porcini mushrooms in a tomato sauce. Both were good but not outstanding. You can get as much of any of these items as you want.

Entree selections included 3 fish choices (salmon, halibut and a fish stew), 1 chicken choice, a few meat choices (pork shank, calf's liver and a veal dish for an extra $5). In accordance with the philosphy, the portion size was very small but by that time you are rather full. I tried the salmon, sauteed in butter which was very good, I also tasted the veal which I wasn't thrilled with.

If you want to cap off the evening with something sweet or some cheese, dessert is not included in the set price, there is a selection of desserts and gelato. I tried a combination of chocolate/hazelnut and burnt caramel gelato, the burnt carmel was delicious.

We also capped it off with some chocolacello, almost like drinking Hershey's syrup but nice to pour over the gelato.

There is an extensive wine list or you can opt for the "Just bring me wine" program with three levels of tasting of three 4oz pours of wine for $15, $28 or $50 per person.

Old Nov 13th, 2005, 02:21 PM

WOW, thanks for the 411 on your meal! The chocalacello sounds yummy! So did you opt for the "just bring me wine" program?
Old Nov 13th, 2005, 02:29 PM

We did opt for the wine program at the medium level, I'm afraid I'm not much of a wine drinker though but from the Tribune's review it seemed like that was the level to go with and my wine drinking friends had no complaints.

Have fun in Chicago, I will be off sunning myself in Mexico that weekend!
Old Nov 13th, 2005, 03:28 PM

I am SO there!!

Thanks! And have fun in Mexico!
Old Nov 14th, 2005, 06:24 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the review Kristi... aahh Mexico! Mels, I was beginning to think no replies to this one... maybe some of the "9 to 5'ers" have some info or want to join!
Old Nov 14th, 2005, 07:26 AM
JJ5

Wow, it was on my list, but now sounds out of my price range.

WINDY- is right. Now we have a Bears game on tape that is going to be called the WIND game. Remember the FOG game! This one wasn't quite as funny but close. Did anyone keep the ball in their hands or not have it blown away at some point in their carry! And it was the first time I've ever seen a feel goal kick like Maynard's first- it nearly went behind him in a U.

Da Bears with a fifth win and teen-age boys near me were wind surfing with sails on skates. LOL!

Have fun on the 3rd. Osteria Via Stato sounds like a nice place.
Old Nov 14th, 2005, 07:31 AM

Hi makai1 and Melissa,

Sorry I missed this earlier. We went on a Saturday night in August and I'd say my review would be pretty similar to Kristi's. We had 5-6 antipasti, most of which were pretty good - especially the onions. I recall that they brought out a 'special order' (without our asking) of fried potatoes for our daughter when she declined most of the regular antipasti offerings. There were two pasta dishes - the pappardelle that Kristi descrbed, which was okay, and a pesto that was very good. My daughter raved about her chicken entree, and my husband liked the lamb (I think that's what he had??). I had the fish stew and kind of wished I'd ordered the salmon. IIRC, we ordered off the wine list, and we did not have dessert. We were too full - eat light for lunch!

I'd say it was pretty casual overall. We'd been at the Gold Coast art fair earlier in the day, so we weren't overly dressed up. The atmosphere didn't really strike me as very "Italian." Service was good. We did not have to share a table. Not my favorite Italian food in Chicago, but overall it was a fun evening.

Enjoy your GTG. I'll be away that weekend but back in time for the 10th.
Old Nov 14th, 2005, 07:34 AM
Original Poster

aahhhh JJ, you sure you can't join us??

The game yesterday was a HOOT!! Too fun to watch... pretty funky. 5 in a row... the BEARS flag is flyin!
Old Nov 14th, 2005, 07:44 AM

JJ5, the only thing you have to spend is the $35.95 per person, the rest is optional and you can do beverages a lot cheaper than we did. Plus they have a cheaper lunch option with a lot less food of course.

What are you all doing on the 10th? Is it open to all Fodorites?
Old Nov 14th, 2005, 07:48 AM
Original Poster

YES Kristi, GTG for all fodorites on Dec. 10...

We're having this mini gtg on the 3rd (for all fodorites) because Melissa will be in town from O'ahu and we thought it'd be fun to gtg with her. She won't be here on the 10th. I'll top the other thread for you... please do come to either one or BOTH! ><

Thanks again for your Osteria info.
Old Nov 14th, 2005, 07:51 AM
Original Poster

ms_go, missed your post. What is your fav italian in Chicago?? We were also considering Italian Village.
Old Nov 14th, 2005, 08:10 AM

I've been there several times. I didn't spend $90 pp, probably more like $60, having had the mid-price range wines with each course and dessert. It attempts to replicate the Italian osteria-style of eating - a more casual place where you can drink good wine and the food is simpler in its execution. The menu was overseen by Rick Tramonto, the powerhouse chef behind the 4-star TRU.

I like Osteria via Stato, but it has its detractors. The concept is that you generally choose a three-course meal, but the first and second courses consist of various "noshes," like grilled fennel with parmesan or salume. I think a lot of the detractors aren't impressed with the starters but I think simple wood-fired vegetables and salami is just fine and quite tasty. Especially their top notch prosciutto that melts in your mouth and unique selection of cheeses (my dining companion there had sarsaparilla cheese from a top Texan cheesemaker - Paula Lambert - just a hint of root beer).

The entrees are executed well but you won't be wowed by large portions if that's important to you. It's fine with me because, by that time, you've tried a lot of different types of starters and your entrees also come with these delicious fried polenta sticks and roasted rosemary potatoes.

The wine that was selected for me was delicious and suited the various courses well.

As for dress, you can wear jeans - just the nicer, darker denim with a shaplier cut - not the light-colored, tapered-leg jeans you'll go shopping in on the weekends or clean your house. I didn't find it to be dressy enough to exclude the wearing of jeans.

You won't find it to be a typical Chicago Italian-style concept, but it has its place.

You should also be aware that the bar area is now an Enoteca - different restaurant - in case you were planning to eat there.

I personally am not a huge fan of Italian Village. I've had decent pizza/pasta at the bar at the upscale restaurant but I am not impressed by the entrees in the more casual (I think it's called a cantina?) upstairs. I think the quality of the ingredients is lacking and they're resting on their laurels.
Old Nov 14th, 2005, 08:22 AM

Kristi- search for GTG and Chicago and you should come up with the information for the 10th. Please RSVP as I believe that JJ5 is making reservations.
Old Nov 14th, 2005, 08:26 AM
Original Poster

ashie, thanks for the detailed info. Sounds like this will be great for us.
Old Nov 14th, 2005, 08:31 AM
JJ5

Kristi- yes the GTG that is on the 10th is at Cafe Iberico at 12:30 (luncheon) and has 12 or 13 people coming already.

I am making the reservations this week, and if you would like to come you are very, very welcome.

Tapas is a lot of small individual dishes. We can order whatever we want and swalter518 says the place will work well. It's River North.

See the entire GTG thread for Dec. 10th and I will be post a new one with final details, if any, during Thanksgiving week or right after.

Sorry makai1, because I would LOVE to do Dec. 3 as well- but I just can't. I've got 42 coming for Thanksgiving and the week after I need to travel to my Mom and Dad's plus work Friday late and part of Sunday. But I am REALLY looking forward to the 10th. I think it will be much fun.

MelissaHl- sorry I will miss you.

About The Italian Village:

This is my old, old bowling buddies and compadres/ bunco club girls' favorite after or before show/theatre place. Not mine. It is nice and pleasant, but just isn't special or spectacular to me. But most of them are NOT foodies and like routine. I have finally gotten them once into Trattoria #10 on Dearborn. This isn't total top of the line, but much better than The Italian Village, IMHO.

Trattoria #10 is good, good salads and very nice for ladies for lunch or dinner. Quiet, below ground and kind of "not" downtown for some reason to me. It's not the cheapest either.

My favorite Chicago Italian is the Francesca restaurants. There are tons out there I have not tried.
Old Nov 14th, 2005, 09:20 AM

I'm also not a huge fan of the Italian Village restaurants, I've eaten there a couple of times and just wasn't wowed. I like the Rosebud restaurants for southern Italian, my favorite being Rosebud on Taylor in Little Italy. There are a couple closer to downtown, Carmine's and Rosebud on Rush.

JJ5 etal, I'd love to join you on the 10th at Cafe Iberico, we had a couple of Fodor meetings there a long time ago and it's the perfect place. And great food! Count me in!!!

Sorry, I won't be able to make the 3rd, well not entirely sorry as a lounge chair in Playa del Carmen has my name on it that weekend

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -