Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Any recent long distance Amtrak experiences?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20th, 2001, 12:29 PM
Karen

We're taking the Southwest Chief to California in 2 weeks. We have a sleeper car (not the one with the facilities in the room) and have heard good and bad about the (included) food. Can anyone comment on the cleanliness of the restrooms and showers if everything goes well and there are no breakdowns? Are the showers only available to those in the sleeper cars or are they available to all passengers? Does anyone really shower on board? Are towels included with the sleeping room? Is there enough (hot or warm or even tepid) water? I can only compare to airplane restrooms and the "not potable" water. Is it safe from a sanitation perspective to shower and brush teeth? Should I plan to "sanitize (the shower)for my protection" and bring bottled water for teeth brushing? We camp, too, so we can be prepared for just about any situation. Thanks in advance.

Old Apr 20th, 2001, 03:26 PM
topper

To the top for Karen

Old Apr 21st, 2001, 08:21 AM
J

We've taken the Southwest Chief several times to Arizona, most recently, last November. Sorry, we only get coach seats and don't know about the showers. The rest rooms were as clean as any you'd find in any public place. The food was better than we expected, too. Hope this helps.

Old Apr 22nd, 2001, 08:14 PM
Glenda

We took the Coast Starlighter from Portland to L.A. last summer and although there are problems with the speed of the train (you stop or slow for everything) and it can't seem to run on schedule we were pleased with the accomodations. There is a steward for each of the accomodation cars and although some are better than others they do keep things pretty clean and fresh as possible. Only the "first class" passengers have access to the showers. If you are a camper I'm sure you have seen much worse. Towells are provided. We thought the food was great and the continuous snacking available in your private lounge car makes staying on a diet impossible. Add wine tasting and what more could you ask for.

Old Apr 23rd, 2001, 10:35 AM
Kay

Took the California Zepher from Sacramento to Denver (about 36 hrs) The 'sleeper' for 2 people was small but adequate.Two comfortable lounge type chairs facing each other with big window . These fold down at night into a comfortable bed, the top bunk pulls down and my grand-daughter said was O.K..
(however not much distance between head and ceiling) A "large" person might have difficulty with upper bunk. I did ask some average size couples about this and no one had a complaint. Towels in room.
but LIMITED luggage space. Some 2 people rooms have a slot 6-8 inches wide but 6 ft. high and 2-3 ft. deep for hanging clothes . Otherwise you have room for 1-2 overnight type bags that at night must fit under the lower bed or perched at your feet. Also your entry is a sliding glass door that locks ONLY from the inside and a heavy curtain that you can pull across opening for privacy
Toilet and sink on each "sleeping car" and on lower level 2-3 more plus a shower that I found clean, with extra towels and was quite adequate. The facilities described area are only for sleeping car people.There is an attendant assigned to each car that helps with luggage, makes up beds at night, makes coffee in multi-use container at end of the car and will bring your meal to room if arranged in advance. Food was good with fair selection with menu printed in advance. Meals included if you have a sleeping car. Food much improved as compared to 5 years ago. My route did not have the "club" car as on the Coast Starlight.
Also there is a electric plug in the sleeper car-I used it for my lap top and plugs in bathroom for hair dryer etc.
This is a great "view" car on every train--comfortable seats and below this car is a snack bar with drinks(mixed) and others --pre-packaged food (not cheap).The coach passengers use area a lot and sometimes kids to play board games and cards.
Note about luggage- for peole who have a 2 person sleeper-You can check your bags at the station but do not have access to these during trip. Otherwise you can carry on a bag and it can be placed on lower level of the car you sleep in ( this area is not protected by security--just a big shelf)
I noted most people carried on a small to medium bag and placed on self and then had tote type bag to take to sleeper.--therefore if you forgot something vital inthe tote bag you can get to other bag on shelfs.
If traveling with a lot of clothes, shoes, coats etc. it is more convenient to check that bag at the station.
I really enjoyed my trip, a little slow but very relaxing--take a book, write letters (only T.V. is in "view car" and was only on for evening movies-which are announced)
Hope you have a fun trip.