Any problems on Waikiki ?

Old May 27th, 2009, 06:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any problems on Waikiki ?

My family and I are planning to spend a few days in Honolulu before continuing on to a cruise and I'd like some info on where to stay on Waikiki. I've done a lot ( maybe too much) searching on the internet and have come across some reports of a problem in Waikiki with the homeless or vagrants accosting tourists on the beach and other problems that go along with that ( drug deals, drunks etc...) It sounds kind of scary especially if there are children along. Has anyone had an issue or experience with this while staying there? Thanks!
Old May 27th, 2009, 07:43 AM

When I stayed in Waikiki in December 2005, there were so many tourists, everywhere, that it felt like Disneyland on the beach. I imagine there were homeless people here and there (like any big urban area). But I live in a city (Portland, OR) with aggressive homeless people, so I don't even remember them in Waikiki if I encountered any.

If you are from a small town in Iowa and have never been to a city, you might be a little wide-eyed at first, but unless you seek out some obscure, uninhabited part of Waikiki (good luck) where you might also encounter homeless people without other tourists around, you have nothing to worry about. If a homeless person asks you for money, just ignore and move on.
Old May 27th, 2009, 08:09 AM

I was there two weeks ago and didn't see any obvious homeless people or beggars. No problems whatsoever on the beach. on the street, there are a lot of people handing out brochures, a number of which were for something to do with a gun club (I still don't know what that was all about). Now, I'm from San Francisco, so probably "notice" less than others might (given the homeless situation here), but seriously, it was all quite innocuous.
Old May 27th, 2009, 08:45 AM

I was there in 2005 and again October 2008 and did not really notice many homeless people. There were a few, but not as bad as other places I've seen. I was certainly not approached by any and I was out and about until about 10:30pm at night.
Old May 27th, 2009, 11:09 AM

There is a homeless population that has been camping at Kapiolani Park, but the size of it varies, as the City & County have been making "sweeps" to get them to move on in recent months, spurred by residents and business owners in the area.

Kapiolani Park is at the end of Waikiki by the zoo. I doubt you would notice or encounter any panhandling in the area from Waikiki Beach towards the ewa (west) direction, especially as there is a police substation right on Kalakaua Ave. in front of the beach. I think the homeless tend to stick around the park area.
Old May 27th, 2009, 11:47 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your responses! I feel much more comfortabe about visiting Waikiki and looking forward to it!
Old May 28th, 2009, 06:16 PM

My last visit to Honolulu was summer of 07 and I didn't notice many homeless people in Waikiki then. But my friend was there Nov 08 and told me there were noticeable numbers of people camping in Kapiolani Park, which is at one end of Waikiki. Googled around and found a pretty recent news article http://pacific.bizjournals.com/pacif...y2.html?page=2 which oddly enough, references discussions on another travel site.

I wouldn't be afraid of visiting Waikiki, but I probably wouldn't spend much time in K Park now.

Also just wanted to say that I think the "gun club" brochures are for shooting ranges marketed to visitors from areas where gun ownership is not common, such as Japan.
Old May 28th, 2009, 06:18 PM

Also just wanted to say that I think the "gun club" brochures are for shooting ranges marketed to visitors from areas where gun ownership is not common, such as Japan.

Thank you! I've gotten no other explanation, so I'm going to just assume you're right!
Old May 28th, 2009, 08:23 PM

The beach towards the Diamond Head end is more accessible to the public likewise towards the Ilikai on the west end of the beach becomes more easily accessed by the public. If you are staying at a hotel that has its own waterfront towards the middle of Waikiki you will likely have less encounters with the unsavory. Having said that, Waikiki is generally very safe. Avoid the back streets of Waikiki late at night alone.Otherwise you could stay at any well-reputed hotel and be safe day or night.
Old May 30th, 2009, 08:40 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again for all the responses! Very much appreciate all the helpful info!
Old May 31st, 2009, 08:29 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I just now saw this post. I have not had any problems like that in 3 trips to Waikiki (in the past 5 years). Andn twice I was traveling solo/female. You do see some homeless people, here and there, like around parks in Honolulu. But no one was "accosting" anyone. I never saw any "drug deals" and the only drunks I saw were other tourists (lol)!
Old Jun 1st, 2009, 05:37 AM

I agree with Suze. We just finished our eleventh visit to to Waikiki in eight years. You do see homeless people in the parks, on benches, and beaches, but I have never been "accosted" by any of them; no panhandler has ever hit me up for money; and I've never seen a drug transaction. I'm an early riser, so I'm usually out for a long walk well before sunrise and have never been bothered by the street people.