Reload this Page >

Any good restaurants left in Little Italy NYC

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30th, 2000, 11:30 AM
Kevin

We will be in NYC in December and have never been to the Little Italy area. I have heard that the area is shrinking and may be only a shadow of it's former self. Does anyone know of a good old Italian restaurant still operating in the area?

Old Aug 30th, 2000, 11:45 AM
tweedy

Shrinking? Don't really think shrinking, but several of the older restaurants have a some facelift work in the last few years.

We walked Mulbury St. last weekend and there is now no driving on the street, other than for the parking lots so it's alot more fun to stroll down the street and window gaze. Farrara's is the best (in my humble opinion) for pasteries and Luna is great and cheap for food.

Right now with the nice weather, all the restaurants have outdoor cafes so it's nice to sit have dinner and watch the city go by.

In December, all the Christmas decorations will be up and it will look like a winter fantasy land.

We go to Chinatown for Dim Sum every weekend so if you need more info on the area, please let me know.

tweedy

Old Aug 30th, 2000, 02:29 PM
Caitlin

There are lots of good Italian restaurants in Mamhattan, but they're not in little Italy. The "shrinking" and "shadow of its former self" that you mention were no doubt referring to the fact that it's not really an Italian neighborhood anymore (they still exist, but in other boroughs), but mostly a tourist attraction. There are still some good stores for buying provisions like fresh-made mozzarella nearby, but the restaurants really just cater to the tourist trade.

Some alternate ideas if you're looking for good Italian meals in the downtown area (though these are in the East Village): inexpensive: Max, ave. A between E. 3d and E. 4th St.; moderate: i Coppi, E. 9th St. between 1st Ave. and Ave. A.

For more expensive and upscale, but really great, Italian, try i Trulli on E. 27th St.; you need reservations (or Enoteca i Trulli next door, which is less expensive.

Old Aug 30th, 2000, 03:11 PM
Debbie

Kevin-We've always enjoyed Paesano's (formerly Joey's Paesano)in Little Italy. There used to be 3 locations-one on W43st in the Theatre District, and one on the Upper West Side (near Lincoln Center)-but both of those locations have closed, so now the only one left is in Little Italy. There's both outdoor/indoor dining. We enjoyed a wonderful lunch there just last week. Stroll around the area and whatever catches your eye is bound to be good. ENJOY

Old Aug 30th, 2000, 06:31 PM
myhumbleopinon

first of all, anyone who thinks the pastries at Ferrara's are good has never had good pastry. they are totally mass produced and generally icky. and little italy IS shrinking, it's totally been taken over by chinatown. if you want the little italy experience of years ago, the only place in NYC to get it is Arthur Avenue, which is in the bronx. Arthur Ave. is totally an italian neighborhood, with real italian-americans living there, and real stores/cafes/restaurants. if you were going to NYC in better weather, i'd suggest going to the bronx zoo or botanical gardens and having a late lunch on Arthur Ave.
unfortunately Little Italy in Manhattan is a shadow of it's former self populated by tourists who have seen too many mob movies.

Old Aug 30th, 2000, 07:14 PM
howard

Kevin, I'll also recommend Arthur Avenue in the Bronx. Now, that's Italian!

Old Aug 31st, 2000, 04:39 AM
Chloe

Kevin,
I have to agree with the above posters. Arthur Ave. provides the "Little Italy" experience way better than Little Italy! There are many good restaurants as well as many good deli's/bakeries where you can buy just about any italian specialty.
If it's just good Italian food you're after, there are many superb Italian restaurants all over Manhattan as another poster offered.

Old Aug 31st, 2000, 07:07 AM
topper

Old Aug 31st, 2000, 07:53 AM
LIVEBYJFK

Kevin:
I agree that Arthur Avenue is the real "Little Italy and it is not too far away from the Bronx Zoo. So a stroll around the Zoo after a terrific Meal is in order. You don't say if you are driving or using public trasportation. Let us know, we'll give you directions. Have a great stay in my hometown NYC!

Old Aug 31st, 2000, 08:08 AM
Pauli

Going to Little Italy for Italian food is like going to Fisherman's Wharf in SF for seafood. If you enjoy the tourist experience than by all means go for it. But if you're serious about the food ,forgedaboutit.

Old Aug 31st, 2000, 10:01 AM
David

Il Mulino in the Village is excellent. I've eaten at Vincent's in Little Italy and thought it was OK.

Old Aug 31st, 2000, 12:34 PM
vicki

My husband & I will be spending about 2 weeks in NYC the last 2 weeks in Sept. Would appreciate directions to Arthur Ave area--we will be staying in the Pellham Bay area at the Middletown RD stop on the subway. Thanks-any other bakeries or deli recommendations will be great. Thanks Vicki

Old Aug 31st, 2000, 02:15 PM
tweedy

Dear Humble, everyone here has a right to an opinion, even you and I never dump on anyone else's posting, as you did to mine.

The original question was about Little Italy and as I am in Little Italy every Saturday afternoon, I think I have a good perspective on what the area looks like. When actually was the last time you were there?

As I mentioned in my post there are several good pastery shops in the area, but our favorite is Veniero's which is on the East Side at 11th St and has almost anything you are looking for.

In fact Veniero's supplies pasteries to many of the better italian restaurants in the city.

Lets stop the backfighting and just give our opinions.

tweedy

Old Aug 31st, 2000, 03:47 PM
oooh

Poor little Tweedy! Have your feelings been hurt?
You said everyone's entitled to an opinion. Well, myhumbleopinion happens to disagree with you. That's his opinion!
The mere fact that you go to Little Italy all the time, in itself, doesn't make you an authority on the best area for Italian food. Why don't you leave your little world in Manhattan
of Italian pastries and dim sum and take a subway up to, heaven forbid, the Bronx and visit Arthur Ave.?
P.S.: If you go to Little Italy all the time, at least learn how to spell the street names. It's Mulberry, not Mulbury!
And, oh yes, Little Italy IS shrinking! Anyone who's lived in NYC for any length of time knows that.

Old Aug 31st, 2000, 04:34 PM
edie

I can't give you directions to arthur ave from pelham bay, but i know you'll be very close. why are you staying in pelham bay if i may ask? do you have family there or are you visiting Fordham?
however to get back to your question, the enterprising italian-americans of Arthur Avenue have, surprise! a website. not sure of the exact url, but it should come up on a search.
i could be wrong, but i think it's
ArthurAvenueTheBronx.com

Old Aug 31st, 2000, 10:12 PM
vicki

Eddie,No dont know a soul in NY- My husband & I rented a 1 bedroom apt at this location last year. It's a working class neighborhood & the subway is only 2 blocks from the apt. Thanks for the link for Arthur Ave web site. Vicki

Old Sep 1st, 2000, 02:21 AM
love2trvl

Vicky:
Take BX8 bus going towards 225 St and White Plains RD to Pelham Parkway, get off on the far side. Cross Williamsbridge Road and get on the BX12 going to 207th street. Take it to Arthur Avenue (ask the driver to let you know when you are there). Pelham Parkway changes to Fordham Road in that area. Cross Fordham Road very Carefully and you will begin your journey into Italian Food Heaven. Enjoy your stay!

Old Sep 1st, 2000, 04:56 AM
Steve

I've lived in NYC for over 25 years, and there are as many Italian restaurants on Mulberry St. as there were decades ago. While the qualitly has decreased slightly, I agree with Tweedy that Luna's is still very good, inexpensive food. I also agree with humble that Arthur Ave. is better. Still, why bother going all the way up there when all you can do is walk around on one street? There is so much to check out around Little Italy that the trip up north may only be worth it if you've been there, done that, lots of times.

Old Sep 2nd, 2000, 04:48 PM
tweedy

This afternoon I made it a point to walk Little Italy from Canal St to Broome which covers 3 full blocks and the entire legnth is restaurant after restaurant. I think actually that there are more restaurants there now than in the last few years and alot of the buildings have been rennovated and several more restaurants looks like will be opening. I have lived here since 1974 and I think that over the last few years the area has actually gotten cleaner, and prettier.

All along Mulberry St. are cafes and there were lots of people there enjoying lunch, pasteries and coffee. I think that with the closing of the street to traffic, it has become easier to walk around and enjoy the sites.

Someone mentioned that there were too many tourists. The tourism season in NY is over the summer months into the fall and tourists are

Old Sep 2nd, 2000, 04:50 PM
tweedy

(sorry hit the wrong button)
everywhere in the city.

So to Kevin, have a great time while you are in the city and yes Little Italy will be alot of fun, good food and some interesting history.

tweedy

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -