Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Any advice for flying Southwest Airlines?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 09:46 AM
Emily

I am flying with Southwest Air mid May from MA to CA. Anything I should know - advice, past experience would be appreciated. I hear Southwest runs on 1st come 1st serve basis for seating, is this true? Thanks, Emily.

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 09:50 AM
Mike

The only real gripe I have about SWA is that they don't assign seats, so you must get there very early if you want to try to get a good seat.
And since everyone knows this is the game, many people get there very early to try to beat everyone else.
A colossal waste of time.
That said, the flights are predictable, staff pleasant, usually on time, fares are good most of the time, and SWA has an impeccable safety record.
It's a well run 'no frills' airline.

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 09:55 AM
kam

SWA doesn't start to give out number for seating until one hour before the flight time. Therefore, get there early, get your number and then go get something to eat in the airport because SWA doesn't serve food on its flight. If you get a number lower than 60 you'll be just fine. If your plane comes down and you will continue to flight on it on the next leg, you are free to get up and change seats and therefore get a "premium" seat. I've flown from Chicago to San Jose on SWA, just plan on it taking a long time and be patient knowing that you're saving a lot of money.

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 09:55 AM
x

Emily,
Southwest is a good company that prides itself on being on time, making connections, and on being reasonably priced. They also do a lot of short flights, and have an odd staff members that have a lot of humor sometimes saying outlandish things just to get attention. It is first come first served for boarding. Also beware on such a long flight (if you don't have stop overs) that the food is usually just peanuts and drinks, and on their few longer flights they usually give you a very little more.

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 10:00 AM
kids

Also beware that just because you have a low number, that doesn't mean you'll have a good seat. I've had good and bad experiences. One time I had #8 for boarding, but because of the number of familes that were pre-boarding, I was still stuck about 3/4 of the way back. They let families with kids under 4 (I think) board early, regardless of their number. Another time, I had #65 and got a great seat.

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 10:11 AM
Ellen

All of the above comments are accurate. Be sure to bring plenty of sustenance, as Southwest allegedly averages $.21 per passenger per flight for food. I was fed a bag of Cheezits on the way from Boston to Palm Beach last week and a packet of Lorna Doones on the way home.

The boarding-in-batches system works quite well, I think. Since the under-4 familes board first, they all grab the seats up front. The rest of us can easily avoid the restless toddler section!

Yesterday, my kids and I got boarding passes numbered 79, 80, and 81, so we were in the third regular group to be seated -- we still got 3 seats together, and later one of the stand-bys got the window seat in front of me.

Southwest is very strict about allowing one carryon per person, plus a "personal item" like a handbag or laptop. Even though the flights I took were completely full, there were a few empty overhead bins, since nobody was permitted to carry on an outrageous amount of luggage. This further streamlines the seating and disembarking processes.

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 10:14 AM
Ellen

Correction to my comment above -- I flew from Providence, not Boston -- Southwest doesn't fly out of Boston.

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 10:43 AM
Emily

Thanks for all your advice!! I hope my flights are as great as the price I paid! I purchased two tickets at their special fly-a-friend-for-free rate. We're flying Hartford to LA $278 (inc. tax) each way, so we each only had to pay $278. Thanks again!!! P.S. If anyone finds this rate appealing (why wouldn't you) I believe they're still offering it on southwest.com

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 11:45 AM
kate B

The only problem with the seating arrangements is that if you get pulled aside for extra searches - as we did - you can get split up. We were on our honeymoon going to New Orleans, and taking an internal flight, and cos of our "foreign" British passports we had the complete treatment. By the time it was all over we were pretty much the last people onto the plane and had to sit miles apart from each other. I was really pissed off. The full-on search stuff happened to us every time we flew in the US and for that reason I will not take an internal flight in the US again, but go by car if and when I return.

Kate b

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 12:02 PM
Lori

Kate: Americans are going through all of the security check points as well. It's not like you're being singled out. I was flying on the west coast last week and was stopped and asked to remove my shoes 4 times by the time I boarded the plane. I am a middle aged white woman who doesn't appear at all foreign. It's just the way of life these days when flying. Personally I'm ok with the extra precautions if it's keeping our skies safer.

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 12:21 PM
Merilee

Bring a good meal on board along with anything that will help you pass the time if you don't sleep on flights...it's a good opportunity to read.

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 12:49 PM
KenCT

A bit off topic, but I'd like address Kate B's comment regarding being singled out in the US because of a "foreign" passport. Yesterday, at Heathrow, I, an average looking middle aged white guy was singled out. The bag I was planning to check was completely emptied. Every item of clothing was inspected. Every container opened, including several bottles of perfume, boxes of candy, and jars of English marmelade which I was bringing home as gifts.
So don't assume that just because you're checking a bag you'll be able to avoid having your luggage hand searched.

Back to the topic of Southwest, I'll personally pay the extra bucks for an assigned seat on another airline to avoid the cattle car mentality and the humor, which seems somewhat forced at times. There's not a whole lot to giggle about when flying these days. Nevertheless, I find the best food to bring are dried fruit, cheese, and pita bread - none of which drips, flakes, crumbles, or smells.

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 01:52 PM
Susan

I'm a 48-year old white female - flying Southwest from BWI to SLC the other week with 20 year old daughter. First they spotted a sewing kit in my purse (didn't know it was there, honest) - they removed the scissors, then it was the full shoes-off routine. Then when we got on the plane I dropped my muffin and orange juice all over 2 seats. By which time my daughter had decided I was just a plain troublemaker!

We always fly Southwest if possible. Don't bother to line up early. Don't know why people have to sit near the front, it only means a longer wait for checked baggage the other end. Even if we are the third batch (61-90) two people can usually sit together.

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 03:01 PM
irene

I always pack a cheese or pb&j sandwich when flying Southwest. You'd be amazed how good it tastes when you're up in the air and hungry.

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 04:31 PM
Connie

Southwest isn't the only airline feeding only peanuts. I've flown several other airlines lately on fairly long flights and that was all I got.

Southwest doesn't have a strong reputation for being on time for nothing. Usually, they leave right on time so don't think you can be a few minutes late and still make the flight.

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 07:37 AM
XXX

If you're traveling alone, the best advice is to: RENT A CANE!! Then get in the handicapped line, and board first with all the families....After you're done, simply return the cane or use it on the return flight...I've done this several times, and it keeps me from waiting in line and getting to the airport crazy early!! Good Luck!

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 08:42 AM
carolyn

I like flying on Southwest. The seating situation actually gets everyone on the plane faster than if they assigned seats. And nobody can jump the line. It's a huge pet peeve of mine having to wait for someone to get situated in one of the front seats, when it was obvious their row hadn't been called yet.

Every flight I have taken, people get in, grab their seats and sit down, very orderly; I find it less like a cattle car than other flights, and not everyone likes to sit in the front.

I flew from Baltimore to CA last year. You get some snacks, we got a pack filled with cheese, cookies, bread sticks, sausage and a nutri-grain bar. The attendents come and take your drink order and then bring it back, not obnoxious drink cart blocking the aisle. And I really liked the fact they came around towards the end of the flight and offered everyone another glass of water.

Just don't expect frills and you'll be fine!

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 08:52 AM
Susan

Carolyn, I agree completely, it often seems boarding the plane goes faster on Southwest because of the restricted carryon and the fact that people are grabbing a seat wherever they like (or can). The drink service is well done also.

I have a hard time understanding people complaining about the lack of food service. Airplane food is the worst! Who boards a plane looking forward to eating? If you do, you can easily pack a sandwich or grab something at the airport before you board. I think it's pretty smart of SWA to do away with food service, especially considering most of that airplane food just gets thrown away without being eaten.

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 09:17 AM
alex

I agree about Southwest - I really like flying with them because they are almost always on time and I find people move quickly trying to get their seats and store their luggage. There was an earlier post going around about Southwest flight attendants and I have a friend who was a Southwest flight attendant and then became a supervisor and I can assure you that they do not let them do or wear whatever they want. In addition, Southwest is a fabulous business model that has made money when other airlines are tanking. They spend tons of money on hiring and training to retain the best people they can (I am in the labor and employment field and their system is often used as a case study). They are one of only a few employers that encourage hiring family members - I think they currently employ something like 1100 married couples. Finally, here is a personal experience - flying in from Midway I had to catch a connecting flight from BWI and then on to McArthur (Islip). My bag was accidently left on the tarmac at BWI and did not make the flight to Islip. I have AmEx flight insurance so this didn't bother me in the slightest (sometimes I hope my bag will get lost so I can buy new stuff). Anyway, a Southwest employee drove the 45 minutes from Islip to my parents house to hand deliver the bag that same day. I have never had an airline do that before - they have always made me come back and pick it up. Maybe all airlines do that now but I really thought it spoke volumes about their commitment to service.

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 09:27 AM
tx-gal

I'd like to point out that Southwest Airlines was the ONLY airline in America to register a profit last quarter. They run a reliable, no frills airlines. I've only flown them on short hops within Texas. And honestly, I LOVE the fact that seating is unassigned. Let me tell ya, when folks don't have an assigned seat they sure can haul butt to get on the airplane. Not any of that dawdling, last minute loo-loo nonsense. Get on the plane, take a seat, they shut the door & you're off! As everyone has also suggested, bring your own food --- peanuts & soda are all you'll get from Herb Kelleher!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -