Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Antelope Canyon as a drive by or spend the night in Page, Arizona?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24th, 2009, 05:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am in the pre-planning stage for a long overdue Grand Canyon/Bryce/Zion trip for mid June 2010. My plan so far is to start and end in Las Vegas and to do 2 nights each GC south, GC north, Bryce and Zion in that order. Adding another night to Zion or GC south could be an option. We want to see Antelope Canyon too. Should this be done as an overnight in Page or could we just as easily do it as a drive by on our way from GC south to GC north? I realize there are other things to do in this area like a Colorado river float trip and right now am leaning towards spending a night there so we could do a little more exploring in the area. I don't want the trip to exceed 10 nights. Help?
Old Apr 24th, 2009, 07:37 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
I'm not sure I would spend 2 nights at GC South (just my opinion).

I'm assuming you're not planning on any Lake Powell activites.

This is what I did.

I was in Zion. I got up in the morning and walked the Riverside Walk to see it in morning sun. By 10:300 - 11:00 I left and drove to Page (if I remember it was about 1.5 - 2 hours).

I stopped at the "Best Dam View" just across the bridge. Then I drove south on Rt 89 just past Rt 98 and stopped (on the west side of the highway) at Horseshoe Bend. I parked and walked 3/4 of a mile for a great view. Be careful as there's no fence, screen or barrier. Just a great view down.

Then I drove back up north to Rt 98 and turned east past the big store (forget the name) towards the power station. i pulled into the parking lot on the right side. paid for parking (6.00) and then bought a ticket for the Canyon ride/guide (20.00). I waited about 15 minutes and the next truck came, took us on a bumpy 10 minute ride and spent about an hour walking in the canyon.

Absolutely spectacular.

Just make sure you're at Horseshoe Bend a bit before noon and Antelope canyon when the sun is very high in the sky so it bounces off the Canyon walls.

I never actually has to go into the town of Page. My whole unrushed stop was probably less than 2 - 2.5 hours.

I then continued on the GC south.
= = = =
Depending upon your hiking interests you can get a very good feel for Bryce Canyon in a short time.

I would sleep over in park or at Ruby's if you can't get inpark reservations.

Make sure you're at Bryce Point for sunrise. Then grab a bite to eat and hike down Navajo Loop and back up either Navako Loop or Queens Garden. You will start at Sunset Point and end at Sunrise Point.

The only overlook that's really different than those mentioned above is Natural Bridge.

If you arrive mid/late afternoon you can go to Sunset Point for the lowering sun, see the sunrise the next morning, do your hiking in a few hours and then move on.

Of course, there are several more hikes if you want to devote more time.

You can see my photos at:

www.travelwalks.com

Select the 2007 & 2008 Utah/Arizone trips.
Old Apr 24th, 2009, 08:50 AM
Original Poster

Thanks myer.

I haven't ruled out any Lake Powell activities. I'm not sure what is available. That might be a reason to spend the night in Page.

I want to spend at least one full day in each park or in the GC's case in each area. I'd like to do as much hiking as we can squeeze in in the amount of time we are at a particular place.
Old Apr 24th, 2009, 09:08 AM

You can 'do' upper Antelope in a couple of hours mid-day, so it sets up nicely as a stop-over on a south rim to north rim day drive.

If you want to see both upper and lower Antelope (lower is good all day, upper is deeper and darker and best mid-day) and add something else available at Page (flat water raft trip or Lake Powell tour or similar is typical) then one or two nights is a good idea.

Since you're jamming in Bryce, Zion and both GC rims in 10 days I'd think one night in Page would suffice. You could surely just do the upper Antelope tour and continue on to GC NR without a night in Page unless you really wanted to do the flat water raft trip or a LP tour.
Old Apr 24th, 2009, 09:34 AM

If you have about 3 hours to spare during your time in Bryce Canyon, I would consider the little discussed Willis Creek.

While you drive on a dirt road to get there, it's a very easy hike and even has a few very (very) small water falls. You can turn back after several slots or when you've had enough.

It's a real slot canyon.

It's located about 20 miles east of the Bryce Canyon turn off and about 10 miles south of Cannonville. You can stop in the Visitors' center to get instructions.
Old Apr 24th, 2009, 09:42 AM

We stayed and did a Lake Powell boat tour. It was fantastic. I'd say fit it in if you can.
Old Apr 24th, 2009, 10:17 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your suggestions!

Myer, I'll look into Willis Creek.

I was thinking of visiting Cedar Breaks on the trip between Byrce and Zion or maybe as a day trip from either place. I really want to see this.

Bill H, if I decide to add a day or two to some place, which place would you suggest to add days?

Should I drop the North Rim and add more days to some place else?

At first I was thinking of doing a Bryce/North Rim/Zion trip, leaving off the South Rim. I am open to suggestions for improving the trip.
Old Apr 24th, 2009, 05:34 PM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Apr 24th, 2009, 10:20 PM

The North Rim has less crowds, but IMHO, the S. Rim has the better views. If this is your first time to the Grand Canyon, I always suggest the S. Rim.

That said, two nights and one full day in each park is a great start. I'm partial to Zion so if you have extra time, that's where I'd spend it.

Upper Antelope Canyon (the one you see the light shinning in to the canyon) can easily be done as a drive by stop. BUT, if you have time, there is so much to do in the Page Area. I see Horseshoe canyon has been mentioned and it's a great little hike. The 1/2 day float trip and Upper Antelope Canyon could be done if you have one full day. There is also an all day boat trip on Lake Powell to Rainbow Bridge National Monument. Don't ask me to pick between the Float trip and the boat trip...it's impossible, but know which ever you choose, you will enjoy it and have fun.

Utahtea
Old Apr 25th, 2009, 03:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You also may want to consider a flight trip over Lake Powell. We did that last summer and loved it.
Old Apr 25th, 2009, 07:12 AM
Original Poster

Okay, so I think we'll spend one night in Page. Are there any reccomdendations for places to stay. I have been looking at the reviews on tripadvisor and there appears to be no clear winner.

We'll do Antelope Canyon and Horseshoe Bend the day we leave the South Rim, spend the night in Page, then do the Rainbow Bridge trip the next day. They now offer a 5 hour tour that has two hours less on the water. It starts at 7:30 am and ends at 1:00 pm. Rainbow Bridge is such an icon, it seems a shame to miss it. From there we'll head up the road to the North Rim, where we'll stay for 2 nights. We've also decided to add a night to Zion.

So the trip looks like this:
Start and return in Vegas
GC South for 2 nights
Page for 1 night
GC North for 2 nights
Bryce for 2 nights
Zion for 3 nights

I can't remember the last time I've done a road trip like this and I am really looking forward to it!
Old Apr 25th, 2009, 07:38 AM

I see you've got 2 nights for Bryce.

Then not only would I recommend the little discussed Willis Creek, but also Grosvenor Arch that's very close to Willis Creek just south of Cannonville. Of course, another 10 mile dirt road ride but that's the price you pay.

I would recommend not stopping at Kodachrome state park as it's really nothing.

If you decide to visit the above, make sure it hasn't rained in the past few days as the dirt road will be impassable and rain isn't in the forcast as Willis Creek as become a lot more than that in rain.

When we went the weather was threatening somewhat and it must have rained somewhere up stream. The Creek was an inch or two higher on the way back than on the way out.

I have some photos of both the slot canyon and the Arch (as well as most of the other places you're considering) on my web sight listed above.
Old Apr 25th, 2009, 08:26 AM

You mentioned Cedarbreaks- we did a similar trip and found ourselves overheated in Zion in early June. After spending one day walking up the river-which I highly recommend, we fled to Cedarbreaks which is elevated and beautiful. We also included Kodachrome in our loop and found it was a very pleasnat campground with warm water and all. It is different from all the other geology around there.Both of these were unplanned inclusions which we enjoyed very much.
I think your itinerary looks good- but you could remain flexible and modify as needed, as we.
Old Apr 25th, 2009, 08:57 AM

Okay, so I think we'll spend one night in Page. Are there any reccomdendations for places to stay.

We've stayed at 7 or 8 Page hotels over the years. The Marriott is our favorite by far. Probably Holiday Inn Express would be our 2nd choice (free breakfast, fairly new). Wahweap Lodge was fine if you are doing mostly Lake Powell stuff but it's at the marina a few miles NW of Page proper.

Super 8 is OK. There are/were several hotels that are part of the Best Western chain (seems to vary between 2 and 4) and one of these was good value, the others not quite as good for the price. Then there are OK recently-constructed budget places like Motel 6 and Comfort Inn, which are basic but fine.

There are also some low-budget hotels that were originally built in the mid-1950's for the dam workers.
Old Apr 25th, 2009, 09:37 AM
Original Poster

Thanks the hotel recs Bill.

I started a similar thread over on tripadvisor and some the folks there think that the float trip on the Colorado in Glen Canyon is a superior outing to the Rainbow Bridge trip. What do you all think about that? If you had one excursion to do, which would you choose? Seems like the float trip might be a bit more of a unique trip? Plenty of time to decide, but now I see why some have mentioned spending two nights in Page.
Old Apr 25th, 2009, 10:28 AM

I haven't done either trip you mention, but several people have mentioned to me personally that the Rainbow Bridge trip seemed a bit too long (the boat ride) and there were too many people at the arch to really enjoy it, fwiw, though the view at the arch/bridge was spectacular. So I would probably pick the flat water float trip.

Most of our trips to Page were to photograph in Antelope Canyon (before it became so commercialized ... I used to just rent a ladder from a Navajo and go in on my own to lower AC), photo trips to Buckskin Gulch and the Paria Canyon/Vermillion Cliffs area (Coyote Buttes, especially the Wave area, is one of the most beautiful areas in Arizona/Utah if you can get a permit and handle the hike in June, which will be uncomfortably hot), and overnighting in Page prior to Grand Canyon rafting trips that started at Lee's Ferry.
Old Apr 25th, 2009, 03:19 PM

We did the float trip down Glen Canyon and loved it. YOu can ride on the pontoons of the raft if you want to . The sights all aroung you are astounding.
Old Apr 25th, 2009, 08:40 PM

We stayed at the Quality Inn in Page; our large comfortable room overlooked the lake, and the free full breakfast the next morning was good. It's the first time I've seen atole (blue cornmeal mush) on a breakfast buffet!

Lee Ann
Old Apr 26th, 2009, 08:50 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Lee Ann. The price of the Quality Inn is sure right.

Thanks again schmerl. Sounds like you must have had a wonderful trip! One of the companies that does that run also now offers a full day non-motorized float trip. It is limited to 8 per raft. It cover the same route, but at a more leisurely pace.
Old Apr 26th, 2009, 09:05 AM

I think our raft could hold about 15 people. It seemed leisurly to me and our guide was wonderful. She really educated us on everything we were seeing. If you take the trip make sure to keep looking behind you too. We were amazed how different evrything looked from a different perspective.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -