Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Another useful way to save money when traveling...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2nd, 2002, 10:41 AM
Jan

I meant to post this awhile back but am finally getting around to offering another suggestion for saving money on meals when traveling to any city imaginable.

Last month we went to NYC for 5 days. Prior to arriving I purchased (bid and won) 4 different gift certificates for various restaurants in NYC on ebay.com. I only paid a total of about $11 for all 4 certificates to 4 different restaurants, but each certificate was for AT LEAST $25-$30 off the total ....a savings of well over $100 on our meals! Each certificate I purchased had a link to the restaurant itself so you could check the location, cuisine etc. It worked so perfect for us. We also had purchased our theater tickets (1 show)on ebay for excellent seats at $8 less than the face value of the tickets themself. Anyway, just another way to save some $$ if you're a bit tight on the budget like we were. There are literally thousands of gift certificates on ebay from everything to restaurants, hotels (even retail shops, Home Depot, Sears, Linens n' Things, Walmart...etc). Wanted to share the restaurant idea with some of you travelers that might find it useful. I had only used ebay for theater tickets prior to this....it was a great discovery. Just always read the fine print incase there are any type of blackout dates, expiration dates, whether it includes alcohol or not etc. (my certificates had no restrictions). Happy Traveling! Jan

Old Dec 2nd, 2002, 11:38 AM
junebug

Jan, just out of curiosity which restaurants offered the discount coupons, and how was the food?

Old Dec 2nd, 2002, 11:45 AM
Sueanne

These certificates can be very handy indeed. Between my husband and myself, we have 12 siblings. Exchanging Christmas gifts has become out of the question. Besides, we're all spread out through out the USA. What I've been doing the past couple of weeks is picking up these certificates on ebay and plan to enclose one to each family inside our holiday card. There is no additional cost in mailing or wrapping and it sure keeps the expenses down. So far I've picked them up for restaurants in Boston, Dallas, Albany, Houston and San Francisco. I have a couple more to go in Arizona and California....getting there! Mine have all been $25 off certificates that I've picked up each for under $5. (one was only $1.)

Old Dec 2nd, 2002, 11:46 AM
Fran

junebug ([email protected]): go to eBay.com and do a search for "NYC Gift Certificates" you find 371 auctions. This will give you an idea what is available.

Old Dec 2nd, 2002, 11:48 AM
xxx

This is too bizare.

Old Dec 2nd, 2002, 12:23 PM
darvy

Jan - fess up! How was the food? Were you eatin' at Appleby's or dining at Le Cirque?

Old Dec 2nd, 2002, 12:53 PM
Jan

Well, I'm trying to remember....(clearing the cobwebs). I remember one was at a nice restaurant named Jennifer's (it was near Central Park). Another was a fun Tapas type place called Pipa's (not sure if this is the correct spelling). Another was further up on the West side called Sambuca's. I really can't remember the name of the 4th but I remember it was very good (maybe the best of the four) and it too was on the West side but not as far North. I'll ask my husband, perhaps he'll remember because he was very impressed with their wine list. It was excellent Italian food. Really, there wasn't a bad choice in the bunch! They were all the privately owned type restaurants, no chains.

Old Dec 2nd, 2002, 01:33 PM
Cindy

The only problem we've seen with this site is that the restaurants are starting to pull their certificates before the auction is over, because they are selling so cheap. For consumers it's been great, but I think the merchants are starting to feel the pinch. We've missed discounts for restaurants in two different states because of the merchants cancelling the auctions before they are even over. If you see one you like, GRAB IT!!

Old Dec 2nd, 2002, 03:26 PM
Michelle

Good advice! I too have bought some of these certificates on ebay.com in the Houston area. If you see what you want BID ON IT RIGHT THEN AND THERE before the merchant decides maybe it's going for too cheap. I've gotten several for $1.00 (plus a .50cent processing fee). They're a great value. Good idea for a stocking stuffer too! Michelle

Old Dec 2nd, 2002, 03:51 PM
darvy

Cool info, Jan. Thanks for the second reply.

Old Dec 2nd, 2002, 04:14 PM
TvlPro

Jan, thanks for one great tip!
I had never heard of this and after reading several dozen auctions I have bid on 2 local establishments to use as office gifts. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Thanks again for the GREAT tip!

Old Dec 2nd, 2002, 07:09 PM
xx

Another way to save small amounts is to dispute the security and telephone charges on your bill. It is a rip off that most people don't notice. The security fee is for the safe in the room that most don't use, and they will probably tell you that the phone charge is a state tax. No such thing. That's assuming of course that you didn"t make any calls.

Old Dec 2nd, 2002, 07:31 PM
TvlPro

I travel within the US just about every week, typically staying in 4 or 5 star properties and I have never had the charges mentioned in the post above.
I agree that you should always review your charges but in the 30 some-odd trips I have taken this year, the only unfounded charges I have found are related to mini-bar and phone calls exceeding 1 hour, which I will not pay unless it is clearly posted.
Having said that, I DO read the phone information in the room.
The best way to save money in the hotel is to read about possible charges PRIOR to the billing.

Old Dec 2nd, 2002, 08:13 PM
bobo

Another way is to hide inside empty freight cars.

Old Dec 3rd, 2002, 10:57 AM
Ann

Easiest way to save money: pay off credit card charges from your trip before interest is charged.

Old Dec 3rd, 2002, 11:44 AM
BobosBuddy

You could just ask Nina's rich neighbor to pay for your vacation. Or steal her fur and pay for it.

Old Dec 3rd, 2002, 11:50 AM
Jill

Thanks so much Jan! I just went to ebay and have a couple of live bids in now for restaurants in my own neighborhood...who needs to travel out of town to enjoy these. Great hint for all! Thanx

Old Dec 3rd, 2002, 12:22 PM
Jen

Thanks Jan! nice tip!

After reading your post I went to ebay to check it out.. but i have never used ebay before.. is it really as easy as it looks? Any tips from ebay veterans? There's some great retial gift. certs. on there which could come in handy for holiday shopping also...too good to be true?

Thanks!

thanks!

Old Dec 3rd, 2002, 12:30 PM
Kiki

Jen, I've used ebay for quite a long time. Yes, it is extremely easy to use and registration is free. You should also register at paypal.com (also free) as this is the site most commonly used for paying for items). It may take a couple of days to register at paypal.com but I'd recommend you do it. They verify your bank account etc. but then if you see something you want to buy, (or you're selling), you're all set. This is a secure website so don't be afraid to give bank account, credit card info. You will always need to use a password. You may become like me....hooked on ebay! I buy more things on this site than imaginable and this past year I've started selling lots of things as well and made lots of extra spending money.

Old Dec 3rd, 2002, 12:47 PM
Jen

Thanks Kiki... i may just do as you suggested and register there!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -