Reload this Page >

Another N.Y. seat and eat question

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 04:49 PM
A.M.

My friend and I will arrive at LGA at 4pm with only carryon luggage. We are staying at the Marriott Marquis and have tickets for Thoroughly Modern Millie the same night at 8pm. Do you think we will have time to eat a light dinner before the show, and if you do, where would you suggest we dine?
Thanks,
A.M.

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 05:50 PM
Elizabeth

1. It's rush hour. I recommend calling a car service (e.g. 666-6666 or 777-7777 both in 212) to pick you up or you will wait very long for a taxi. If you do engage a car service, call the day of departure to confirm it.

With a car service you should get to hotel by 6 at the latest, maybe 5:30.

2. In your position I'd go for a piece of pizza at Sbarro's in Times Square or something equally fast. You COULD try dinner--I'd go to Becco on West 46th Street in theatre district: make a 6:30 reservation, try to be early, order the 3 pasta special. It's nice, they're used to feeding people going to theatre.

Make reservation, cancel if time gets too tight. Have fun.

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 06:39 PM
RQF

Assuming the plane lands on time and assuming you are on the way to the hotel by 4:30 you should be at the hotel by 5:30 or maybe a bit sooner. The show begins at 8pm. Unless the plane is very late you will have more than enough time to eat dinner.

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 07:28 PM
thereuare

Please do NOT eat at Sbarro's while in NYC... the city has so much more to offer! (even when in a rush)

For a pre-theater quick meal, i'd suggest John's Pizza on 44th St b/w 7th and 8th Ave. (it's a sit down place, not a pizza slice place)

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 07:42 PM
traveler

Honestly, I've been to New York City 4 times in the past twelve months to just visit. I Love NY!! Anyway, after arriving to New York, getting transportation to the hotel, getting into your room, I can almost gaurantee that you'll want to fall back onto the bed (ahhhhhh)and say the heck with dinner...give us ten minutes of rest. If not, you must bee very young and therefore can find forty-five minutes to rush, rush, rush and find some food. Believe me, you won't care where or what you eat that first night! From a tourist...Relax and enjoy the show and then eat!

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 08:07 PM
A.M.

Thanks for the replies. I forgot about rush hour traffic and the possible need for a car service. Does anyone know the usual cost for this service and do they take only cash?
A.M.

Old Apr 6th, 2002, 09:50 AM
topper

tt 4 AM.

Old Apr 6th, 2002, 10:11 AM
Statia

A.M:

When I've used a car service in the past, I've found the price to be close to a cab ride. About $30 into the city, plus tolls and tip. It might be different now, though.

I quit using a car service a few years ago because it is so much easier to hit the cab stand than to find WHICH car is picking me up, out of the hundreds circling the airport.

The way car services work now could have changed since I last used one, but I thought I'd relay my experience since you're short on time.

Have fun!

Old Apr 6th, 2002, 04:55 PM
A.M.

Thanks for the opinion Statia and everyone. I am so looking forward to our short visit. I love N.Y.
If worst comes to worst we will have R.S. at the hotel before heading down to the show.
A.M.