Search

Anna Marie Island

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15th, 2000, 07:27 AM
JK

Anna Marie Island

Could anyone give me some advice on this Florida Island? I'm thinking of taking a family vacation down there next June. Are there any beach areas which are more secluded than others? How's the fishing? Any advice would help. Thanks - JK

Old Aug 15th, 2000, 08:58 AM
Garrett

Depends on where you are staying. I happen to think AMI is a cute little town, but quite accomodations are a bit seedy. If you want something more upscale try LongBoat Key a minute or two away. Everyone is looking for something different, Anna Maria definetly has character, but I've heard some posts saying it to be less than desirable. (class of people, etc.) I think the beach is beautiful, but I personally like LBK better, more Austrailian pines to keep the beach shaded more, where there are none on Anna Maria that I could find.

Old Aug 15th, 2000, 09:01 AM
help

JK, I posted some old postings about Anna Maria.....Love it there but beach has eroded.Read te postings and do the search I told you about.Have gone there for years..Sunday morning waffles on the beach at Holmes Beach//at beginning of Anna Maria.There is also an Econo Lodge on GulfBlvd/nice...I`ll check for better address and #...I found it add.book it is:Econolodge/Surfside Resort..2502 Gulf DRive,Bradenton...941-778-6671 #phone and FAX is 941-778-0360.It` on the beach and not too far from Anna Maria.NO I`m not connected to it in any way.It`s not far from Long Boat Key either. Hope this helps....

Old Aug 15th, 2000, 08:02 PM
Sandy

Wow Garrett, your assessment of Anna Maria was pretty harsh. Esp., the part about the people being less than desirable. Our friends that live in the $500K plus homes out there would be shocked to hear that. AMI is a beautiful island, esp the North end. As in most beach communities, you need to research the accommodations carefully. Try Resort 66 and the wonderful Beach Bistro on the property. Bistro at Lands End, owned by the same person, is also great. Contact the local chamber for information about local realtors that handle rentals. I don't know where the misinformation about beach erosion is coming from. The beaches are wide, clean and lush (at least they were yesterday!) There are two excellent fishing piers on AMI also. Plus you can catch deep sea trips out of Cortez, which is an authentic fishing village. LBK is beautiful also, but if you want laid-back, old Florida you can't beat AMI.

Old Aug 16th, 2000, 08:12 AM
help

I have gone there for 20 plus years and the beach is no where near what it used to be..the beach(at the SANDBAR rest.) used to stretch out a long way..used to play vooleyball games and watch many sand art built.People use to bring their boats onto the shore and not worry..you couldn`t do that now.Beautiful sunsets and great Pina Colada`s..My husband went fishing out of Cortez and Sea Food Shack has great food.I don`t know where anyone would get the idea that the area or people is less than desirable.Far from the truth.It is a very lovely place.I have very fond memories of Fast Eddie`s restaurant(not there anymore) and the pier(great view of the Skyway Shineshine Bridge).There are may great places to stay,even a bed and breakfast.

Old Aug 16th, 2000, 10:03 AM
CMcDaniel

"Help" is right Sandy. Beach erosion is a serious problem on Anna Maria and a growing concern, especially to the north end. Even a tropical storm now would most likely take the Sandbar out. Certainly it would be flooded. That's not to say the beach that remains isn't lovely, it is, but it's only a fraction of what it used to be.

Old Aug 16th, 2000, 07:53 PM
Sandy

Don't let the comments about beach erosion on AMI deter you. That's not to say that there has been none. It is a beach and mother nature is mother nature. But, it really isn't a problem. There is plenty of beach. It is a problem to the south on LBK. I forget to mention Cocoanuts Resort and the Nautilus. Since we live just inland, I haven't stayed at these places, but have visited friends who've stayed and been happy at all mentioned.

Old Jan 31st, 2001, 11:32 AM
Drew

Having grown up there I still think the beach on the north end of the island,bean point,is one of the best in Fl.Great family atmosphere,beautiful beaches,forget about the errosion issue,very afforable,rent a house,Island realty is good or Mike Norman realty stay on Holmes bch. or Anna Maria they are connected. Best breakfast on beach,Rod and Reel pier and good fishing.This is one of the last old Florida places ,crusty ,mellow, no big resorts!

Old Feb 24th, 2001, 09:41 AM
RJ

Maybe we should keep AMI a secret. If too many people find out how great it is, it could become just another up-scale beach town with high-rise hotels and private beach access. I love it the way it is - it has character.