Ann Rivers Siddons NC/SC locales

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1st, 2005, 11:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, I am an avid reader of the above author. Some of her books such as "Outer Banks" and "Islands" have made me want to rent or possibly buy one of those rustic old homes on the water in North or South Carolina. Can anyone suggest where I might start looking? My husband and I are looking for an uncrowded "non-touristy" town with a few stores, some good seafood right off the boat, and friendly people. We are looking to retire from our very stressful jobs in a few years. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you all.
Old Feb 1st, 2005, 11:55 AM
GoTravel

Nothing really rustic any longer except some of the Historic Register homes on Pawleys Island. Another problem with rustic is that salt air corrodes everything and upkeep is difficult, expensive, and constant.

Sullivans Island and Isle of Palms would be good places to start. Mt.Pleasant has some great seafood restaurants.

Beaufort, inland but waterfront is also a great place.

So is Georgetown, South Carolina and it is affordable.

A lot of what Anne Rivers Siddons writes about is the way these places were when she was a child and they no longer exist.

The old houses have either been torn down and replaced or destroyed by hurricanes (Hugo in the case of Sullivans and IOP).

With the exception of Georgetown, it's tough to find reasonably priced real estate anywhere near the ocean. I think either Sullivans or IOP just set the state record for the most expensive single family lot at over $3 million.

What is your budget?

Old Feb 1st, 2005, 12:07 PM

Bald Head Island off the coast of NC. Look it up.

Second choice, Ocracoke Island, NC

Both places you need to take ferry to. Bald Head, no cars allowed.

Places in SC tend to be more crowded, but from choices I know, and stay on Outer Banks of NC or drive further south to Bald Head Island
Old Feb 1st, 2005, 12:40 PM

Bald Head is wonderful, but it's a mindset as much as a place to live. It's an island accessible only by boat with very few stores or restaurants. Travel is by golfcart only. Southport, the jumping-off point for Bald Head, might be the sort of small town you seek, with some wonderful old waterfront homes, seafood right off the boat and easy access to the ocean and Intracoastal Waterway. It's very similar to Georgetown, mentioned earlier. Beaufort, NC (BOW-fort, as opposed to BUE-fort -- the SC version), is also a possibility. Take your time and investigate many spots on the coast of both Carolinas. Good luck in your search.
Old Feb 1st, 2005, 01:14 PM
GoTravel

Oooh, forgot about Southport. That is an excellent idea!

Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 04:25 AM

What a great thread! I, also have wanted to travel to the coastal Carolinas after reading her books. In fact, I just read "Up Island" and have been researching Martha's Vineyard for our next vacation.
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 04:41 AM

Try the Brunswick Islands, not as expensive as most previously mentioned. This would include Holden Beach, Oak Island (adjacent to the afore mentioned Southport) & Sunset Beach. I am also partial to Amelia Island, in Fla.
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 05:53 AM

I've never read Anne Rivers Siddons, but my wife has. If you like reading books set in coastal Carolina, try Pat Conroy's Beach Music. You'll not only want to visit the Low Country, but Italy as well.
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 06:02 AM

Part of ARS' appeal to me is that I remember when places like Isle of Palms (and the like)had nothing but shacks. By that I do not mean falling down shacks, just not the beautiful homes you see now lining the beach. These are what my husband and I laughing call a "shanty on the beach".

You may also enjoy reading Dorothea Benton Frank's novels "Sullivans Island", "Plantation" and "Isle of Palms".
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 07:18 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Interesting thread. I'm in the middle of "Islands" right now. I love these authors, both Ann Rivers Siddons and Dorothea Benton Frank. I couldn't take the mosquitoes, though.
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 07:26 AM
GoTravel

Barbara, the ocean breeze keeps the mesquitos away. In the 20 years I've lived on the beach I've never had a mosquito bite me at my home.

Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 07:39 AM

Yeah, you have to go stand in a swamp to have a mosquito problem. The beach is the last place to find them.

jhk - If you liked Beach Music, you want to read Prince of Tides...a much, much better piece of literature, and the low country descriptions are beyond vibrant. Conroy signed my copy of Beach Music, but I so wish I had taken PofT with me to the signing.
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 07:46 AM

The mosquitos never bother me on the beach but let me step one foot out in my backyard (not wooded either) in Atlanta and I am one bumpy creature.
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 07:52 AM
GoTravel

Litespeed, Conroy signed my Beach Music also and I also wish I had taken my Prince of Tides!

In the preface of The Prince of Tides, Pat Conroy describes the sun setting over the marsh that is so beautiful and descriptive, it's prose.

He captured in words what the sunset looks like setting over the marsh in my backyard.

Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 07:53 AM
GoTravel

Litespeed, have you ever noticed that Anne Rivers Siddons and Pat Conroy always thank each other in the acknowledgements in their books?

Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 07:57 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
GoTravel, well that doesn't sound too bad. I'd love to visit the low country, but those mozzies love me!
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 08:03 AM

Litespeed, thanks for the tip. I actually prefer Prince of Tides to Beach Music, but felt Beach Music might be a better recommendation for island-related reading. So much of POT occurs in New York. All of Conroy's work is wonderful. The Great Santini has wonderful descriptions of Beaufort, SC. Have you read his new cookbook? It has great stories, but I can't read to too much at a time without getting hungry! As for mosquitoes, they're rarely a problem at the beach except at dusk if the wind has disappeared -- or in heavily wooded areas. Horseflies and biting flies (what we have always called September flies) are another story, however.
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 08:13 AM

I meant to add, that I preferred Beach Music to Prince of Tides.
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 09:19 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your kind replies. We've never been to any of the places mentioned, except for Pawley's Island, so we'll have a good time exploring all these great spots before deciding.
We're looking for the least expensive and don't care to be anywhere near the grand homes that now clutter the beaches. Feel free to add any other thoughts that come to mind, and thanks again for all the great advice.
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 10:14 AM
GoTravel

Least expensive Southport and Georgetown. I think Beaufort, SC is getting too trendy with the yankees. Home prices are skyrocketing.

Can't buy on Baldhead for under $1 million I'm guessing. Probably the same on Pawleys Island.

Georgetown has homes across the street from Winyah Bay for under $100,000.

Sullivians Island and IOP are very expensive also.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -