Reload this Page >

Animal Kingdom. Good or Bad ?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16th, 1999, 02:51 AM
Martin

I would be interested on people's views of Disney's Animal Kingdom Theme Park. We visited in '97 and will be returning Easter '99. We had a sneak preview of the park before it was opened to the public (as we were staying in Disney accomodation). We found it to be very interesting. We felt that the animal enclosures were very realistic, and a geat deal better than conditions at either Busch Garden's or Sea World. However with publicity about deaths of animals within the park, I would interested in people's views concerning the park.

Have Disney achieved what they set out to do, or is the Animal Kingdom just a glorified Zoo ???

All opinions would be welcomed, but please don't use this posting to snipe at each other's responses. Having read the posting "Florida is still unsafe", you will see what I mean !!!

Old Nov 16th, 1999, 05:56 AM
jm

Animal Kingdom is more than a glorified zoo. It is however, not as rah-rah, go, go, go "glitzy" as the other Disney Parks. No parades or fireworks. The Lion King show is very good. Watching the hippos swim right up to the window where you are standing, and with the water only going 3/4 way up the window wall, gives you a terrific cross section view that you won't find elsewhere.

I wouldn't go go WDW only to see that park, but as part of your overall visit, it is definitely worth it. Just avoid the fast food restaurant in the dinosaur land.

Old Nov 16th, 1999, 06:44 AM
Anna

I went to Animal Kingdom last Feb. and thought it was great. It is definitely more "low key" than the other Disney parks, but they DID have a parade called "Artimals" that was unlike anything Disney I've ever seen, and I loved it! I think all the animal problems have been resolved and they all looked very happy to me.

Old Nov 16th, 1999, 07:24 AM
john

The Animal Kingdom is a real let down. Not worth the money or the time. If you are expecting something that will replicate a safari experience, or even something that will vastly improve upon the typical zoo experience, you will be sorely disappointed. Sorry to be blunt.

Old Nov 16th, 1999, 11:05 AM
Monica Richards

I agree with John, I was very disappointed in the Animal Kingdom. I probably had high expectations, as I had been to the San Diego Zoo and Wild Animal Park the year before, but I felt it was shallow (animatronic animals!). I did get to see a hippo out of the water, though, which is highly unusual so that was cool. But still, the only thing I really liked there was the Bug's Life 3D show that was quite good.

Old Nov 16th, 1999, 01:33 PM
Jan

I've been to Animal Kingdom and loved it!!! Defintely do the Kilamajaro Safari Ride (get there early). Also we enjoyed the river raft water ride. Be prepared to get WET!! Also go see the show It's Tough to be a Bug... (Great show)... I would defintely say do Animal Kingdom there's plenty to do!!
Have Fun!!!!

Old Nov 16th, 1999, 01:44 PM
ilisa

Animal Kingdom is definitely not a zoo. Anyone who goes there thinking it is, or compares it to one is a fool, and did not do their research. I have been to it three times, and do not recall seeing any animatronic animals except for an alligator on the safari. Otherwise, all the animals are very much real. No, they are not always out, but then again, they aren't on a real safari either. However, last time I was on the safari (2 weeks ago), all the animals were out in full force. Do not miss the park. It is very much worth seeing.

Old Nov 16th, 1999, 08:45 PM
Joy in Virginia

I really like AK. We have been there in late August 98 & again in August 99. the Lion King show and Tarzan Rocks show are both impressive. There is now a river raft ride and I think a roller coaster is planned for the park next year. The safari ride & train ride up to conservation station were both enjoyable. Countdown to Extinction always thrills me! You definitely need to take a personal fan to this park, it always seems REALLY HOT without many air-conditioned attractions to slip into. For more details and current trip reports, I suggest you check out Deb Wills' unofficial guide to WDW at www.WDWIG.com

Old Nov 17th, 1999, 05:04 AM
Martin

Dear All,
Thanks for your responses to this posting. Hope I haven't offended any Animal Kingdom lovers. I have been my self and was fairly impressed. Although Countdown to Extinction was the most disappointing Disney attraction ever. Sorry Joy, but it was.

I would like to widen the posting a bit more now to Animal "theme parks" in generall. Have Disney got the balance right between "park" and "animals" ?? I don't think it is too bad. I was sorely diassappointed with the animal enclosures at Busch Gardens. Very questionable?? And the Arctic exhibition at see world was nothing short of cruel!!

Don't get me wrong, I am not an animal activist I am just curious as to other peoples opinions. Is it right to use animals in theme Parks just to bring in the tourists, or is that responsibility of Zoos ???

Old Nov 26th, 1999, 06:40 PM
M Byers

Animal Kingdom is the only animal theme park I've ever been to. I have however been to several major zoos including the National Zoo in Washington. As far as theme parks go AK is fair. Compared to other zoos AK is doing a fairly decent job. I don't think Disney has had any more problems with animals getting sick or dying than any other new zoo has, just lots more bad press.

As for the purpose of zoos, it would be wonderful if we could say they were for the preservation of natural history, or some other great cause. Unfortunately, zoos exist to make money. This means they have to attract tourists, and no one does that better than Disney. So taking everything into account, I would have to say Animal Kingdom is o'tay.

Old Nov 27th, 1999, 12:50 PM
katie

I was recently at Disney world and we spent one of our days at the AK. We loved festival of the lion king, its tought to be a bug, countdown to extinction, kilimanjaro safaris, kali river rapids, and the tree of life was spectactular! AK is not as good as the best zoos, and its not as good as the best amusment parks, but it was a great day and a great addition to WDW.
Love,
*Katie*

Old Dec 4th, 1999, 12:00 PM
cmcdaniel

Hyatt Hotels had their GM's meeting in Orlando this fall and AK was one of the optional activities. My husband and I were disappointed with it, and that was the general consensus among others who went. We loved the bat exhibit (who'd a thunk it?) and the tiger area was beautiful...otherwise, if you've been to good zoos, you'll be disappointed.

My feeling is, there is so much else to be done in and around Orlando that I'd put this very low on the list. It had certainly been hyped since it's opening and I'd been wanting to get over for it, but dreaded the crowds. Crowds weren't bad, but I wouldn't drive the hour from Tampa again to do that park!