Andrew8's and Steelygirl's trip report to San Francisco and Big Sur

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22nd, 2008, 05:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is our San Francisco/Big Sur sojourn. I must begin by telling you all that we originally had to cancel our Big Sur part of our trip due to the way I was feeling and my intensive treatment but thankfully I slowly began to feel better and thought what better way to physically and mentally recover but a trip to one of our very favorite cities and our "magical and spiritual" Big Sur.

We left on Tuesday, 10/14, on a Virgin America flight into San Francisco International, this being our preferred airline and I am proud to say that we've taken it six times this year to the West Coast....I'd say we're "Virgin America" groupies!
On to the journey, we arrived around 4PM to an azure sky and perfect weather. We arrived at the Mandarin Oriental Hotel, our very favorite in San Francisco, and were greeted by a friend and concierge Michael Dunlap.
We love the Mandarin here much more than the one in New York as it has better service and the views of the Bay can't be beat.
After settling in we got ready for an early 5:30pm dinner at Gary Danko. I know you'll think this is too early but I thought it was best to eat early to avoid further jet lag. We ended up sitting at the bar which we've done before.
To be continued ......
Old Oct 22nd, 2008, 05:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Gosh I live here and only go to Gary Danko if my mommy or daddy take me. And that's not really a joke.

Glad that you had a good time. You have been in poor health? If so, I am very sorry to hear that. I just got a new (to me) resto rec for NYC from a Fordorite so I'm thinking I should fly back soon to try it out. I love Virgin America too! But if your report is alluring enough, I can be convinced to save my pennies and have a staycation.

Please, Andrew and Steelygirl, you're my only hope. Continue!
Old Oct 22nd, 2008, 06:08 PM

What reader poll just announced about a week ago that Virgin America is now the number ONE domestic airline?
Old Oct 22nd, 2008, 06:08 PM

You didn't stay in one of those rooms at the Mandarin Oriental with the soaking tub with a view of the bay...did you?

Did you have the cheese course at Gary Danko? If not, that could be your reason for coming back.

Old Oct 22nd, 2008, 06:22 PM
Original Poster

Gary Danko, one of our very, very favorite restaurants, I must say never disappoints. Steelygirl had her favorite cocktail with Fig Vodka, which she truly looks forward to. she did try a new twist on it; and it's called a "Daisy" with Fig Vodka and citrus juices (very suttle) in a very chilled Martini glass...a total "hit"! We ordered another favorite, Seafood Risotto, which was excellent followed by horseradish crusted Salmon (medium rare) which was absolutely phenomenal. I then had The Game Hen as a third course.
The next morning we went to another of our local favorites, The Lighthouse in Sausalito. The owners are very pleasant and eager to please. We both had egg white omelets and their wonderful ham and I had a pancake.
After breakfast Steelygirl girl went to the Ferry Building to shop at the Cowgirl Creamery and shopping in the area. I went back to the Madarin to get some rest before our lunch.
At lunchtime, we had reservations at The Slanted Door at the Ferry Building, which was excellent; I must say though, that we missed Loveitaly very much as we had plans to have lunch with her previously. I had a Spring Roll dish with noodles and Arctic Char with Ginger dipping sauce and Steelygirl had the Vegetarian Spring Rolls and a glass of Sparkling Wine.
Old Oct 22nd, 2008, 06:25 PM

A8 - I was also unaware that you had not been well. Cheers & hope you are feeling better.
Old Oct 22nd, 2008, 06:39 PM

And I was broken hearted not to be with andrew8 and Steelygirl. I had had that horrible virus that seems to be going around the US..bad timing to be ill. But they promise that the next visit I will see them and so that is certainly something to look forward to as I really pouted about having to cancel this time. Virgin America groupies..love it andrew8!
Old Oct 22nd, 2008, 06:54 PM
Original Poster

Right after lunch, we went to one of our best-loved areas west of Chryssie Field towards the Golden Gate Bridge (the name of the area escapes me now)but has amazing vistas and locals jog, bike, walk their dogs, etc. I took amazing shots and Steelygirl tried her best as she's not the greatest of photographers, but I can say that because she's the first to admit it. After many shots then we went to a vista point which is across the Golden Gate Bridge (West) which has an amazing vantage point and many pictures were taken.
After this photography journey, we stopped by Steelygirl's absolute favorite bookstore, City Lights and she purchased some reading materials. We then returned to the Mandarin to get ready for dinner at Spruce, the hottest reservation in SF at the moment.
Spruce,located in the Pacific Heights, was a previous garage, very open and spacious with lowlights and an amazing ambiance and vibe. The bar has been beautifully done and Steelygirl loved it. Aside from the amazing location and vibe, the menu is a bit lackluster and pretty basic and not extensive. I had a hamburger (which is very popular there per the Yelp site plus I never eat red meat) and Steelygirl had a salad and their ravioli, which was okay in her opinion. The Pomme Frites were very good.
Afterwards we went back to our room to enjoy our Bridge (Golden Gate) to the Bridge room (Bay Bridge) room and gaze out as we also have a direct view of the TransAmerica Building and Steely's favorite "Coit Tower."
The next morning we were pleasantly surprised to hear from reservatiions at Big Sur that our Treehouse was available on Thursday, so we decided to leave SF after two days and go to Post Ranch at Big Sur (a day ahead of schedule). We left the Mandarin and drove to Carmel (arrived in an hour and 45 minutes)to another favorite place in Carmel-by-the-Sea for a late breakfast, at Katy's and I ordered an egg white omelet and Steely had eggs benedict. It was quite hot in Carmel.
We then left to reach our destination of Big Sur (in 40 minutes), it was a glorious day so we drove our Mustang Convertible with the top down of course listening to the Eagels, Tommy Petty and the Dead.
We drove over the Bixby Bridge and arrived in Big Sur driving through the fragrant Redwoods and took in all of it. We were also very relieved to see that there wasn't as much fire damage as we had expected.
We reached Post Ranch and were pleasantly greeted by their wonderful staff and taken to our Treehouse room which was amazing with breath-taking mountain views from every window in the room as well as a deck (it is the farthest from Sierra Mar; therefore, very private and quiet). After settling in, we quickly walked over to the Infinity Pool to take in the view, relax and take some pictures.
Old Oct 22nd, 2008, 06:55 PM

andrew8 is torturing us westcoasters by starting this report and leaving us hanging! More please...soon!!
Old Oct 22nd, 2008, 06:56 PM

andrew8 - we were in SF at the same time!!!! Did you change your original plans? Our trip started similarly with health issues. I'll probably start my report tomorrow.

So glad that you had a great time!

We were at Gary Danko on Saturday - wonderful, but not the best meal of the trip.
Old Oct 22nd, 2008, 07:19 PM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
Ahhh, it is so good to read your report. I can "see" you in your convertible, enjoying the coast!
Hugs to both of you!

cpg, looking forward to your report too
Old Oct 22nd, 2008, 07:36 PM
Original Poster

After spending time relaxing by the Infinity Pool, I then prepared myself to take pictures of the magnificent sunset by our room overlooking the ocean. I must have spent 45 minutes capturing it.
After sunset, Steely and I went to dinner at the Big Sur Bakery, a fairly popular restaurant right in town, which had received a very positive write up in the New York Times a couple of months prior. Steelygirl was very happy with the wine list as she enjoys her Pinot Noir at dinner and preferably a California Pinot. We really didn't like our entrees as the veal was very over cooked but we were happy to be there as we know they endured hardships through the fires. It is a very charming place.
After arriving at Post Ranch that evening, I decided to awaken at 5AM the next day and take pictures.
So here I am the next morning at 5:30AM in my convertible driving South towards Esalen waiting for Sunrise to take pictures. Unfortunately, as I got closer, there was pretty thick smoke from a 10,000 acre forest fire just west of Esalen, but I kept going trying to capture all of the vistas...it was very thrilling to be there at the center of it all. I really did get great photos and was completely elated.
Later that morning, I met Steelygirl at 8AM to have breakfast at Sierra Mar (at Post Ranch) which we both agree has greatly improved. We sat in an amazing table overlooking the infinite beautiful ocean. I must comment that the breakfast variety was incredible, from waffles, omelettes, eggs benedict, homemade granolas, etc. all freshly baked. I must say that renovations (kitchen) at Sierra Mar have absolutely improved their food selections and quality.
After the delicious and satisfying breakfast, Steelygirl and I were Carmel-by-Sea bound so that I could go kayaking starting at Stillwater Cove (dropping in by the Pier at the Pebble Beach Beach Club). I went with a great guy, Bob Mannix, from Adventures by the Sea, whom I've used 3 times before. As an expert kayaker that I am, I was looking forward to going out into the open seas and planning to paddle to Cypress Point to take shots along 17 mile drive.
It was an amazing time with Bob. During my kayaking adventure, Steelygirl was shopping in town (Carmel-by-the-Sea). After my kayaking we drove back to Post Ranch and went to lunch at Sierra Mar which was absolutely fantastic and at the very same time a wedding was taking place in the other half of the restaurant. It was great seeing people happy and in love.
After lunch, we went back to the Infinity Pool to relax and enjoy the views.
Later that evening, we took the complimentary Lexus Convertible to Carmel beach again to experience and capture the sunset, it was just beyond amazing.
After the sunset at Carmel beach, we went to dinner at Flying Fish Grill (Asian Fusion), where we have a friend, Rich, who's worked there for ages. It's quaint and they serve wonderful fresh fish and have a great wine list. Steelygirl enjoyed a lovely Pinot Noir.
That very evening we had planned to take the Star Gazing tour at Sierra Mar at Post Ranch but we truly were quite exhausted from the day's activities. We actually went to sleep around 9PM.
During the night at around 4AM,I was awaken by a giant windstorm, since we had all the windows open, and it was a cold front that was passing through which actually brought fog and chilly weather the entire next day.
The next morning we enjoyed another lovely breakfast at Sierra Mar and because of the cold and foggy weather spent some time resting and relaxing in our room and at the Infinity Pool. That evening we thoroughly enjoyed a wonderful dinner at Sierra Mar, it really was phenomenal.
We left Post Ranch at approximately 3AM since we had to drive to San Francisco for a 7AM flight. It took us about 2 hours and 20 minutes to arrive at the airport. We then boarded a Virgin America flight back to JFK and fortunately, ran into one of our favorite flight attendants, Robb, which made our flight so much more enjoyable.
I must say that we cannot wait until our next journey back to Big Sur...a most incredible and magical place! We can never get enough of it.
Pictures to follow...
Old Oct 22nd, 2008, 09:05 PM
Original Poster

Some pictures from our trip

http://tinyurl.com/5d6zdm
Old Oct 22nd, 2008, 09:13 PM
Original Poster

Patrick,
Yes, Virgin America is the number one ranked domestic airline. We became frequent flier members when they first launched the airline. We've had the same outstanding flight attendants on many flights. Our favorite, Robyes he insist 2 B's) is a splitting image of Nathan Lane with his dry humor. It's definitely worth flying first with them.
Old Oct 22nd, 2008, 09:23 PM
Original Poster

Not sure how that face got on my previous post..LOL

No Bill, we didn't stay in a room that has the bathtub with the Bay view. We always stay in a Bridge to Bridge because we get caught up with the view of the entire Bay.
I couldn't talk my wife into having the cheese course for dessert at Danko though I really tried.

I should mention that we saw your previous room at Post Ranch when we visited. Unbelievable Bill !!
Old Oct 22nd, 2008, 09:28 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Paris !

LoveItaly,
What makes really happy is that your going to the San Francisco GTG.
We look forward to seeing you on our next visit to San Francisco
Old Oct 22nd, 2008, 09:34 PM
Original Poster

Great to see you CP !
I'm sorry you haven't been feeling well. If I had to guess, Cyrus was your best meal. We went there for an early New Year's Eve dinner last year and loved it. If we hadn't gone to Big Sur, we would have gone to Quince and Bixx.
Old Oct 22nd, 2008, 09:41 PM
Original Poster

Starrs,
I had so much fun driving fast along the coast with the top down. We actually did the drive from the Mandarin to Katy's Place in Carmel in an hour and 45 minutes.
It was even more enjoyable in Big Sur where I really let it rip while driving. Steelygirl really enjoyed it when I was passing slower drivers between Carmel and Big Sur though I think she may have had a Pinot buzz
Old Oct 22nd, 2008, 09:44 PM

Beautiful couple, beautiful photos and oh the sunsets! Wow, I love sunsets especially at the ocean. Gorgeous andrew8!
Old Oct 22nd, 2008, 10:10 PM
Original Poster

Thank you LoveItaly !

Steelygirl was a great sport with all of the picture taking as I took close to 1,200 pictures.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -