Search

Anchorage Plus

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21st, 2000, 01:23 AM
Frank

Anchorage Plus

We are seeking suggestions for a 2 week driving tour of Alaska that originates and concludes in Anchorage. How long should we stay in Denali, Homer etc.? Also, seeking assistance in finding medium priced B&B's and hotels at each location. We would also appreciate a suggestion for a hotel near airport that provides free shuttle service.

Old Nov 21st, 2000, 01:24 AM
Frank

I forgot to ask if anyone had a suggestion for a glacier cruise. Thanks!

Old Nov 21st, 2000, 06:01 AM
Kathy

Frank: We spent 3 nites in Denali and that was plenty of time to see all that we wanted to see. The only thing that we could not fit in was the overnite trip through the park where you spent the nite in a old miner town. Be sure to take the bus tour of the park (that is the only way that you can see it) we saw tons of wildlife and lots of bears. Also do the rafting trip! Lots of fun!

Old Nov 21st, 2000, 11:48 AM
GOL

The Fairfield Inn has a Shuttle. I'm sure others do too.

Tour suggestions:
South to Seward. Take Kenai Fjords tour (Northwestern 9 hr tour) to see wildlife and glaciers. If the day is sunny/great, this will be spectacular. Stop by Exit Glacier (part of Kenai Fjords Nat. Park) where you see and can touch the glacier.

Not sure about Homer.

Back to Anchorage and up to Denali. Make bus reservations NOW (for inside the park).

North to Fairbanks. Then 10m north on the Steese Hwy to see Pipeline / rest stop (where you can walk under the pipeline). Then E to North Pole to get your letter postmarked (The Post office has two boxes: One for North Pole postmarks and the other for Fairbanks).

Take Richardson Hwy to Tok

Tok to Glennallen. Then Glenn Highway back to Anchorage (an absolutely beautiful drive, imho).

Other considerations:
Continue from Tok along the ALCAN to Haines - Round trip from Tok area. Thru the Yukon (Kluane is spectacular) and briefly in BC. Truly an experience. You could fly to Gustavus from Haines (or other places too, I suppose) to see Glacier Bay Nat. Park.

Rent a camper instead of a car. We could not find B&Bs, hotels or motels along the way. RVing is really the way to go in Alaska instead of a car. I would strongly consider it.

Be flexible. It is worth staying a day later if the weather is not good. A good day can just pop up out of nowhere (and the reverse).

Old Nov 21st, 2000, 01:32 PM
Patrick

I'm no expert yet, this summer will be my first trip to Alaska but I've been doing a lot of studying. Most boat trips and flightseeing excursions are big bucks. But we are spending a couple of days in Homer. From there we have booked a one night package to Seldovia to stay at the little Boardwalk Hotel. They transport us to Seldovia on a boat for a two hour nature cruise among the islands and bird rookeries of Kachemak Bay. We have the full afternoon and evening in Seldovia and the next day they fly us back to Homer via a scenic route (just a half hour). The total price is about $156 per person -- we took the most expensive room at the hotel. This trip was highly recommended to us. Will also be taking the Kenai Fjords tour and staying in Denali for three nights at the Backcountry Wilderness Lodge all the way back into the park. Also staying at Kenai Wilderness Lodge for three nights. These two lodge deals are very pricey, but we plan to do a lot of hiking, kayaking, etc.

Old Nov 21st, 2000, 06:00 PM
Paul Rabe

Take a one day tour of the Kenai Fjords Nat Park from Seward. We saw several glaciers and tons of wildlife. It was one of the highlites of a trip that had LOTS of highlights!

On the evening of this boat trip from Seward, spend the night in that town. Drive down to Homer, and either return to Seward OR spend the night there.