Anchorage Day Trip/Itinerary

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24th, 2009, 12:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is a reasonable chance that I will be in Anchorage sometime in April on a business trip. Mostly likely staying near the airport. If I manage to get a day to myself, what would you recommend I do? I've checked into bus tours/train trips but most seem to start for the season on May 15. I'd like to see scenery and maybe do a light hike but am not really an outdoor type. Also don't want to spend big bucks to do flightseeing (don't like little planes). And I realize that the volcano may make plans difficult. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old Mar 24th, 2009, 01:24 PM

I would rent a car and drive south to Seward -- great scenery and easy driving. Should be some restaurants open in Seward for lunch.
Old Mar 24th, 2009, 06:20 PM

OMG... Ladystack took the words right out of my mouth.

I went to Alaska several years ago... (drove)... and upon reaching Anchorage I found a hotel for 2 or 3 nights.

I'd RANDOMLY selected my daytrip destination (Seward) as a place far enough away to afford some sightseeing, but not so far as to spend half a day driving one-way.

Could not BELIEVE how incredible a spot I'd picked. The views of the snow-capped mountains with the water in the foreground were awesome!

The town is cutesy and quaint, and the road signs which urge: "in the event of an earthquake, move to higher ground" are ominous. The Sea Life Museum there is worth seeing, and it is just the size place in which you can make a day of it, and have time for scenic drives to and fro.

Seward is a no-brainer as the answer for you!
Old Mar 25th, 2009, 06:15 AM
Original Poster

Great - thank you. How far a drive is it? I wouldn't want to do more than 2 hours each way.
Old Mar 25th, 2009, 01:03 PM

I am going to boldly use my memory, and NOT bother looking it up on the web or anything... but the number 129 (miles) seems to stick in my mind...

(aw heck, now I have to go and look, just to see if I'm remembering the right thing... AND I can alter this post sufficiently IF I don't press 'submit')

OK, so the real answer is "125.8 miles"

(close enough for me to stick with what I remembered)
Old Mar 26th, 2009, 04:21 AM

The timing is really up to you. There are things along the way to see and do so you can do the drive in segments, including the return trip from Seward so it's not three hours straight driving. Check road conditions and hours of operation before you rent the car. Seward is worth the trip but make sure other places like the Sea Life center will be open. I also liked the visitors center at Portage.
Old Mar 26th, 2009, 06:03 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advise. I know I could go online and look up the mileage but that really doesn't tell you much. 125 miles (good memory Northwestmale) could be 2 hours or 4 hours depending on the roads, traffic, stuff to look at - all those intangibles that only Fodorites can really tell you.
Old Apr 3rd, 2009, 03:39 PM

Well I cannot predict the moose herds which might constitute "traffic" on that path. Nor can I predict the weather in mid May, and there is a mountain pass-like area along the way, but it wasn't difficult to navigate when snowing in mid-April, and should be expected to be better in May.

Figure 2 hours and 20 minutes and you'll be fine.
Old Apr 4th, 2009, 07:07 PM

Be sure to stop for the berry pie(all kinds of berries) at The Summit restaurant.It is oh so good!
Old Apr 7th, 2009, 09:13 AM
Original Poster

the trip is definitely a "go" so all the advice is greatly appreciated. Berry Pie sounds really good.

Northwestmale - seriously? Moose Herds? Way cool!