Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Anaheim/Orange county trip - where to stay??? HELP!!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25th, 2001, 01:08 PM
Ana

Hi -
I am going on a business trip to Anaheim this September, and my husband and I are thinking of having him join me at the end of y trip so we can spend some time in Cali. I have never been to California, and my husband has been to San Diego only once, so neither of us know very much about the Anaheim/Orange County area. We do know we would like to go to Disney World one day, and that we we would like to visit some of the beaches.
Here are my questions:
First, which are the best beaches?? Do we need to get a hotel right on the beach to be able to really enjoy it?? If we don't, how do we go to the beach - are there public parking lots??
Also, any suggestions as far as where to stay?? Are the hotels on the beach super-expensive??? Should we stay halfway between Disneyland and the beaches or closer to the beach?? How far a drive is it from Anaheim to the beaches?? We are only going for 4 days, so are there any other activities or sights to see that you would recommend?? I really am in the dark about all of this, so I would greatly appreciate any input/advice/warnings you could all offer!! Thanks so much in advance for your help!!!!! (o:

Old Jul 25th, 2001, 01:38 PM
xxx

You mentioned that you're going to be here on a business trip. Where will you be working in OC? OC traffic can be pretty tremendous and can add a lot of commute time despite a fairly short distance. So maybe it would be wisest to stay closer to the office and then plan on driving a little further in the evening when there's less traffic.

As for beaches, there are a large assortment to choose from. Are you interested in sunning yourself, window shopping, or bar hopping? Laguna Beach is a great place to choose for dining and gallery shopping. Corona Del Mar would be my choice for sunning. Public parking is crowded, but available for all of the beach cities. As for beach front hotels, that's more limiting. The Ritz Carlton in Laguna Niguel is gorgeous, but definitely comes at a big price.

Old Jul 25th, 2001, 02:15 PM
shanna

I am a travel agent with a major auto association. I would recommend staying in one of the Disneyland Resort hotels for the atmosphere and convenience. As far as Beaches, Santa Monica beach is very popular and has a great boardwalk. If time permits a drive to San Diego or even Santa Barbara. Newport beach is also nice. I strongly recommend you talk with a travel agent who is familliar with the area and can offer you good suggestions.

Old Jul 25th, 2001, 04:33 PM
tom

Santa Monica is highly overrated, and besides, is typically a 2hr (or more) drive from Anaheim. (Unless you like associating with homeless bums and street-gang members and their entourage ...)

Santa Barbara, while lovely, is typically a 3 hr drive. That's a lot of driving for a 4 day trip.

The Orange County beaches Mr/Ms XXX suggests are all within an hour's drive and are all pretty nice.

Old Jul 25th, 2001, 05:56 PM
Ana

Hi again!!
Just wanted to thank you all for your responses and helpful tips!!
I am going to be right in Anaheim for my business trip, literally minutes from Disneyland, so I think we are going to spend the first day of our vacation in Disneyland ... then rent a car and drive to the coast to stay closer to the beaches for our remaining three days...from all of your input, it sounds like Laguna Beach or Corona del Mar may be good choices??? What about Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, or Crystal Cove State Patrk??? Are these good beaches and are there nice hotels there?? We would love to stay right on the beach - is that possible with all the beaches I mentioned above?? We definitely want it to be a relaxing stay, especially since we only have 4 days, so we don't want to have to drive too far...as far as what we're interested in doing, we love to lay on the beach, but we would also like to do some shopping as well and go out to dinner ... Knowing this, what are your suggestions as far as beaches??
In regards to the hotel, it doesn't have to be anything superfancy, since we won't be spending much time there .. maybe something comparable to a Sheraton or a Hyatt?? Any suggestions??
Once again, thank you so much for all of your help!!!!(o: I really appreciate it!!!!!!

Old Jul 25th, 2001, 06:43 PM
paul

I would recommend the Laguna Beach area. There are a number of hotels on the beach. The surf and sand is a popular one. Just South of Laguna Beach is Dana Point/Laguna Niquel. I would also highly recommend the Ritz Carlton. This is a 5 star hotel and pricey but after Labor Day the rates do drop to more worldly levels. If you can afford it, that's your place. It's is on a wonderful beach. Keep going south (1.5 hours) and you end up in San Diego and there I would recommend the Del Mar and La Jolla areas.

Old Jul 25th, 2001, 09:51 PM
Barbara

If you go as far south as Del Mar, then I suggest you stay at L'Auberge Del Mar. It's not right on the beach, but is so near that it doesn't make much difference. The beach there is lovely, you could walk all round Del Mar and not have to drive, and there are lots of good restaurants and good shopping.

Old Jul 26th, 2001, 10:53 AM
kam

IMO Del Mar and LaJolla are too far for only a four day trip. Laguna Beach is classic southern California beach town with good little restaurants and galleries. Plan at least one meal at the Beach House--on the beach, on the water. Cafe Zinc is a real California place. Surf and Sand, recommended above is lovely but carries a big price tag. More affordable is Capri Laguna, Laguna Riviera and Vacation Village which has a private beach. A room on the beach will probably run about $150. Depends on what that's worth it to you. There are less expensive ones across the street and yes, there is on street parking at the beach. Corona Del Mar is lovely but residential. It's a different city from Del Mar which was mentionned above. Del Mar is just north of San Diego near LaJolla.

Old Jul 26th, 2001, 11:01 AM
kam

Sorry, my statement is confusing. A room at a hotel on the beach will probably run $150 but a beach front room will be more. Huntington Beach is not as upscale as Laguna and Newport is a bit strange--a mixture of tourists at the beach and businessmen. Expensive are Balboa Bay Club and Doryman's, Newport Channel Inn is across the street from a nice beach and more reasonable. I would still choose Laguna.

Old Jul 26th, 2001, 11:36 AM
Jane

I would also recommend Laguna Beach. The Ritz is wonderful and sometimes, they do have some good deals. It may be worth checking into.

Also in Laguna Beach, we enjoyed Las Brisas, a Mexican/Seafood place. It sits right on the coast and the views were spectacular.

Old Jul 26th, 2001, 12:04 PM
D.B.

FWIW -- there is a Hilton at Huntington Beach that runs about $200/night for a king bed. Is that super expensive? It is on PCH across from the beach, just west of Beach Blvd (Hwy 39). There is also a Quality Inn further up PCH. You might also consider the Emabassy Suites on Beach Blvd. near Knott's Berry Farm, or any of the uncounted hotels around Disneyland.

There are plenty of web search tools at your fingertips, you just plug in a city to find hotels with prices and availability.