Anacostia Museum in D.C.

Search

Anacostia Museum in D.C.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5th, 2008, 04:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anacostia Museum in D.C.

The museum sounds interesting but it seems that everything I read about it says it is in a very unsafe neighborhood - DO NOT WALK or take public Transportation!
Anyone visited it and is it really that bad? I read there is a free bus from the "castle" but only runs M-F and we will have free day on Saturday so am concerned on how to get there.
Old Apr 5th, 2008, 06:47 PM
LN

It is the Anacostia COMMUNITY Museum. I would doubt that it is a bad museum BUT it truly is in an area that you should not try to walk in or to take public transportation.

A lot occurs in that area and I am not certain if you would find a taxi to take you there.

Was any of your family from the Anacostia Community? Would that be the reason to see it?
Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 04:35 PM
Original Poster

No family from the anacostia community, it just sounded interesting and it is something we have not seen in previous visits to DC. but, unfortunately, the neighborhood doesn't sound too safe. Thanks for the correction on the name of the museum. In my travel book it didn't have the name Community in it.
Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 05:43 PM

Actually the buses do run on Saturdays.

From the National Mall:

By Metrorail to Bus
1. Note: Obtain a bus transfer before boarding the train. From the Smithsonian Metro Station, take Metrorail (Blue or Orange Line) to L’Enfant Metro Station, transfer to the Green Line (upper level) heading in the direction of Anacostia, and exit at the Anacostia Metro Station. There will be two exits, Regional and Local; take the LOCAL exit. After exiting, turn left and go to the W2/W3 bus stop on Howard Road.

2. Transfer to W2 or W3 bus (Southeast Community Hospital-Anacostia Line) at the Anacostia Metro Station. The W2 bus runs only during AM and PM rush hours. The W3bus runs every 30 minutes between 9:30 AM-4 PM, and every 30 minutes on weekends. (To confirm bus schedule, call Metro information at 202/637-7000 or TTY 202/638-3780.) 3. W2 and W3 buses stop in front of the museum."

I have not visited the museum.

Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 07:36 PM

I would not