An ageing Englishman in Dallas

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19th, 2006, 10:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Next month I am in Dallas for three days and four nights. I have never been here before and I am trying to answer the questions I am being asked by my country folk - why Dallas? Well the answer is "it seemed a good idea at the time" when i jumped at the special offer of hotel and flight from New York where I am at a conference.
I plan to hire a car and try and master (a) driving on the "wrong" side of the road and (b)an automatic which I have never driven for 20 years.
I will spend a day in Dallas and a day in Fort Worth but would like to take a drive out of Dallas and sample the Texas countryside and a small typical Texan town. Where should I go?
Old Aug 19th, 2006, 10:24 AM

If it is at all possible, I suggest you take a drivers education course before leaving England, to at least adjust to using an automatic.

I applaud your enthusiasm, but Texas is not the best place in the world for someone unfamiliar with any aspects of driving. I live in another part of the USA and recently took a driving trip around part of Texas (not Dallas, but not too far from there). I live in the USA, but found driving on Texas roads to be very challenging, due to very high speeds. The freeway speed limits in most places were 70 MPH, and most people drive much, much faster. Try to be prepared for all this before you arrive.

I suggest you consider renting the car from a rental place in downtown Dallas, instead of from one at the airport. This would at least give you a chance to get accustomed to driving on the "wrong side". You could practice in relative safety by driving around the block a few times. But if you rent from the airport, you may have no choice but to go from the car rental place directly onto the freeway. This is not not something I would recommend to anyone unfamiliar with USA driving.

Old Aug 19th, 2006, 10:26 AM

You might want to start by reading the Fodors guide to Dallas/Ft Worth
http://fodors.com/miniguides/mgresul...as_ft_worth@55

I think it's crazy for such a short trip to attempt to "master" driving on the wrong side AND try an automatic that you're not used to.
Old Aug 19th, 2006, 11:18 AM

I totally disagree and have many 100's (maybe thousands) of track hours. My only problem driving in the UK on public roads was "intuitively" knowing where the left side of the car was "in space" so I apexed a bit abruptly.
No problems with the man. shifting, clutch, brake, throttle, etc.
Get a real driver's car while here!
Of course, I often opened and entered the "wrong" side of the car as well.
Do not miss Bistro Louise on S Hulen in Ft Worth for lunch; the Amon Carter and Kimbell art museums are stunning.
I would drive to the Hill Country W of Austin and San Antonio for a great trip, but you'll have to overnight.
For a day trip, Glen Rose SW of Ft Worth would be my choice. A world class BBQ shack just before the turn to the Nuclear Power plant is worth a stop. You'll know it by the many friendly riders (Harleys,etc).
In Dallas ( my former home of 25 years), check the usually reliable www.guidelive.com
M (SMdA,Gto.,MX)

Old Aug 19th, 2006, 11:26 AM

I don't know why it would be hard to drive an automatic after driving a stick shift. I am teaching my 17 year old granddaughter and the first time she drove- absolutely no problem with the automatic shift. There is really nothing to it. Now driving on the wrong side of the road might be something else!
Old Aug 19th, 2006, 01:51 PM

Good for you! I admire your sense of enthusiasm and adventure and I'm sure you'll have a good time.

I lived in Dallas for a few years, but it's a long time ago so I don't have a specific place to recommend for a "country drive" but I'm sure the people at the hotel can help you if you don't get a recommendation here.

I second the recommendation for the Anon Carter in Fort Worth - great museum and something different.

Downtown Dallas tends to be more of a working town that empties out after the work day, but they've done some rebuilding efforts and there is more nightlife downtown now. If you like visiting schools, you might want to check out Southern Methodist University when in Dallas.

If you'll be in Texas on a Friday, you might ask for suggestions of where you can see a high school football game - for a true taste of Texas spirit. Or if you're around on a Saturday there may be a college game that you could attend. Even if you're not a US football fan, you might enjoy the atmosphere.
Old Aug 19th, 2006, 02:02 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
This is so weird - on the Europe forum we are always trying to convince Americans and Canadians that driving on the "wrong side of the road" in the UK is a piece of cake. And that even if you are used to an automatic, a stick is easy.

But over here on the United States forum it is just the opposite - "Oh no, driving in Texas will be too hard", and "don't try to drive an automatic if you are used to a stick"

Just seems strange to me. Anyway, justr1chard, IMHO if you are a competent driver in the UK and can manage motorways at home you will be fine in Dallas/Ft Worth. I'm a Californian who lived in the UK for several years and ALL of my Brit friends manage just fine on driving holidays in the States.

Several have taken 4+ week driving tours all over the Southwest, racking up thousands of miles w/o mishap.
Old Aug 19th, 2006, 02:09 PM

i don't see a problem driving an automatic. the skill and attention of drivers in texas is far below what you find in the UK so just be prepared for everything. people generally drive like idiots. the speed isn't the issue (yes, we drive 85+ on motorways also). fort worth is well worth a visit.
Old Aug 19th, 2006, 02:10 PM

janis, the title is ageing (sic) Englishman. I'm sorry to report that as you get older, it's more difficult to learn new things AND your reflexes aren't as good as they were. Additionally, for a 3 day trip, it just seems like a waste of time to worry about this. And Joyce's point about speed limits and Dallas can't be taken too lightly. I'm a confident driver used to driving on the right and I always hated driving in Dallas.
Old Aug 19th, 2006, 02:11 PM

It's hard to comment on the car issue not knowing your experience with freeway traffic. In the cities it can be really intense and drivers can be agressive. My husband said you'll be fine, but of course I cringe! hehe

You'll want to get off the big Interstates to experience some good countryside. Here's a link to a small town called Mineral Wells that you might enjoy. It's about 75 miles from Dallas.

http://www.mineralwellstx.com.
Old Aug 19th, 2006, 02:18 PM
P_M

My British friends told me that driving in America was quite easy because the roads and signs are good. They didn't have a lot of trouble adjusting to the right. Also, adjusting to an automatic will be a lot easier than adjusting to a standard. I think you'll be just fine.

I haven't been to Glen Rose yet, but my Mom and nephew loved it, so I will second that idea. However it's hard to say what is a typical Texas town, as our state is so large and diverse.

I am glad you have chosen to visit Texas while you are in the US and I hope you will have a lovely time. If you need any suggestions for entertainment while you are here, please be sure to post your questions.
Old Aug 19th, 2006, 02:19 PM

>>>>
janis, the title is ageing (sic) Englishman.
>>>>>

no need for "sic"...it's correct.
Old Aug 19th, 2006, 02:33 PM

Hi just,
Do you drive in London? Dallas/Fort Worth can be awful at high traffic times. It is difficult if you do not know exactly where you are going and you have to watch out for everyone else plus road construction.
I love Fort Worth--it is really just a big "town" not so much of a city. Driving there is less hectic. There is a wonderful museum district not far from downtown (Modern, Kimbell, Cowgirl, Amon Carter) and the stockyard area north of downtown is worth a visit I would think. Dinner at the Lonesome Dove in the stockyards is great (must have a reservation).
Dallas has great restaurants (The French Room at the Adolphus Hotel on Commerce St. in downtown Dallas is about my favorite place in the world and I have eaten at some wonderful places in Paris, Monte Carlo, New York, etc. Shopping is better in Dallas at North Park and Galleria. Dallas is very spread out. If you drive west from Fort Worth, you will find more sparse vegetation. I live in far northeast Texas (about 2 1/2 hours east of Dallas) and there are many more trees, etc. My town is only 6400 people. One town you might consider visiting is Waxachachie which is near Dallas/Fort Worth. You will not think you are out of the city until you drive around the very center of town. Whatever you do, I hope you have a safe and fun trip.
Old Aug 19th, 2006, 02:34 PM

You should have no trouble adjusting to driving an automatic - the steering is no different and once you put the car in gear (D for Drive, R for Reverse) all you have to worry about is steering, using the accelerator and break - same as in every car all over the world. Driving "on the wrong side" is easy to master.

As for things to see and do in Dallas/Fort Worth - you'll find plenty. There are wonderful art museums, botanical gardens, zoos, performing arts theaters, the Fort Worth Stock Yards, etc., etc. For small towns the aforementioned Glen Rose is a nice as is Granbury. You can also get a small town feel by visiting Grapevine which is located a few miles from DFW airport. All three towns have loads of antique shops.
Old Aug 19th, 2006, 04:47 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
We don't have any idea how old the OP is - I took "ageing" as sort of tongue in cheek.

OK - justr1chard -- How old ARE you anyway?

We recently had a thread where the poster was concerned about traveling w/ her "elderly" mother - and come to find out she is 59 years old! Guess "elderly" is in the eye of the beholder.

The UK has much more stringent driving exams/tests to get licenses in the first place than we do in most parts of the States. Most are very capable to drive in US conditions.
Old Aug 19th, 2006, 05:36 PM

I live in Texas. And I've driven all over the US in auto and manual vehicles, and I've also driven auto and manual cars in the UK.

Now, first about auto vs manual. You don't have to worry at all. Only thing is that on some American automatic cars (and some Toyota/Lexus as well), the parking brake (i.e. handbrake) is not a handle in the center console. Instead it's a pedal near the door that you use your left foot to press on and to release. 99.9% of the time, people don't use it, and you shouldn't use it either. But if the parking brake was set, at least you'd know how to release it.

As for driving, I know UK drivers go fast on the motorways too, so speed is not an issue. However, don't get mad when you see slow vehicles on the left (fast) lane. People here do not understand that the left lane on a freeway should be only used for passing. Very undisciplined. No need to honk or flash your lights. Just pass on the right (which is entirely legal and acceptable).

You should note that most gas stations these days are self-service only, but I think it's the same in the UK now. So, pump your own gas, and make sure you return the car with the tank topped up or you'll be charge some very high rate of gas by the rental company.
Old Aug 19th, 2006, 05:55 PM

See: In Ft. Worth: Modern Art Museum, Amon Carter Museum, Kimbell Museum as well as downtown and the stockyards. In Dallas, I would recommend the Nasher museum. Agree with a trip to Glen Rose. Visit Fossil Rim Wildlife park. Have a meal, and perhaps an overnight, at Rough Creek Lodge nearby http://www.roughcreek.com/. The scenery will be similar to the Hill Country.
Old Aug 19th, 2006, 06:53 PM
TheWeasel

I can understand the concern about driving on the "wrong" side of the road if we're talking about a two-lane street or highway. But, some of you are talking about the freeway being scary - why? I would think that would be the easiest place to drive - no worries about being on the "wrong" side, because all the lanes are going in the same direction. Doesn't seem all that difficult to me.

I've never had an issue with Dallas or Texas drivers either. I don't get the cautions posted here - it's not all that different than any other big city and/or state with a 70 mph speed limit.

Old Aug 19th, 2006, 07:26 PM

I have lived in Dallas all my life and traveled all over... and I do believe that we have some of the most aggressive traffic in the US.
Just pay attention and drive defensively. Today I drove from East of Dallas to NAS Ft Worth JRB (fmr: Carswell AFB) and saw about 12 CRAZY freakin drivers. A car came about 1/2" from hitting me near downtown Dallas.
I stay aware of cars around me, and those ahead and behind.
Dozens of people from our London office come to Dallas and have no trouble at all! The only time I recall a problem was when one of the european employees got a DWI after having 2 margaritas at dinner.
Have a great time and watch those margaritas!
Old Aug 19th, 2006, 11:36 PM
Original Poster

I am not sure whether the replies have soothed my nerves or heightened the tension re. my driving. Driving on the "wrong side" of the road is not a problem as I drive a lot in Europe and have just come back from driving a very expensive and large hire car along the switchback roads of the Amalfi coast. The reason I mention "expensive" is because I was nervous throughout that it may get scratched and regretted my instinct to show off by hiring a large convertible. Any of you who have driven in Italy will know what mad drivers and mad motorcyclists abound in that country and if you know the switchback narrow roads on the Amalfi coast you will have an idea of my nightmare.
No, my main concern was the "automatic" aspect of the car. Maybe I will have to have my left leg amputated before I drive it as I know I will be pressing down on the brake pedal thinking it is the clutch with disastrous consequences. I will just have to get my brain to think that I only need m right foot to drive the car.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -