Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Amtrak to Philly - how far is Liberty Bell?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24th, 2005, 09:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi. We will be taking a one-day trip from our hotel in Washington, DC via Amtrak to Philadelphia on a Sunday in August. Our train arrives at the 30th street station at about 9:15 am. How do we get to the Vistor's Center and how much time should we allow? I want to get tickets on-line for Independence Hall. Any other helpful hints or suggestions for our day are greatly appreciated. Our return train leaves at 7:30 pm that evening. We are a family of four - 2 adults and 2 boys, 10 and 13. Thanks!
Old Jun 24th, 2005, 09:09 AM

Are you walking or taking a taxi? From what I remember, it's pretty far...I believe the train station is across the river from the city. There are taxis lined up at the station.
Old Jun 24th, 2005, 09:18 AM

It's 26 blocks. The train station is at 30th and Market, and the Liberty Bell is at 6th and Market. There's a subway to 7th and Market or, of course, cabs.
Old Jun 24th, 2005, 09:23 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. Is the subway the best way to get there? How do you catch the subway from the train station? How long would it take?
Old Jun 24th, 2005, 09:28 AM

I think it's the best way and certainly the cheapest. When I lived in Philadelphia--12 years ago--the entrance to the subway was across the street from the train station. I don't know if there's an entrance in the station now, but ask when you get there. It doesn't take long and it's easy to figure out the route.

Philadelphia is a great city, I hope you have a good time.
Old Jun 24th, 2005, 10:34 AM

There is still a subway entrance across from 30th St. Station - no way to connect from inside. Take the El eastbound to 5th and Market. The ride is short - about 6 minutes if that. The Liberty Bell and Independence Hall are steps away from the station. If you don't feel like dealing with the subway, take a cab - it's cheap, and at that time on a Sunday you'll get there in about 10 minutes.
Old Jun 24th, 2005, 12:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Constitution Center is right down the street from the Visitor's Center. Go there and see the presentation and explore. You can walk to Christ's Church Cemetery and see Ben Franklin's grave. Get a map of all the historical sites. It's very easy to walk to everything.
Old Jun 24th, 2005, 12:08 PM

PLEASE READ.You can use the SEPTA, regional trains for free from Amtrak's 30th street station in Philly. Look for the regional train signs and go 5-8 minutes east to the Gallery/Market East station.Go to street level and walk east on Market Street.
Old Jun 24th, 2005, 02:47 PM

By all means, grab a cab -- they're lined up right outside the east side of the station -- and take a look at the (30 minus 6 equals) 24 blocks between the train station and the Independence Visitors Center. Head straight for the Center and pick up your free, timed ticket for the Liberty Bell and Independence Hall and then you're free to roam around until the tour starts. Here are some sites you might find helpful:

http://www.constitutioncenter.org/

http://www.independencevisitorcenter.com/

There is a very neat thing going on now called Once Upon a Nation that has actors in colonial dress telling stories about the Revolution throughout the park: http://www.phillyfunguide.com/event.php?id=792

Have fun.
Old Jun 24th, 2005, 02:54 PM

Here's a better Once Upon a Nation site:
http://www.onceuponanation.org
Old Jun 24th, 2005, 06:32 PM

Katti, I'm about to bring to the top of the list a thread called "Directions in Philly" or something very much like that in which I posted a fairly detailed discussion of visiting the Liberty Bell/Independence Hall area and a link for tickets. Click on my screen name above for the fastest way to find it. Please note that you don't need a ticket to see the Bell, only Independence Hall, but you have to wait in the same long line to get thru security for both, so why not pay 1.50 and reserve a Hall ticket? You should reserve to keep from being shut out of the Hall, but it's only steps away from the Bell, and merely the most important building in American history.
Old Jun 24th, 2005, 06:38 PM

Oh, and I do highly recommend the Constitution Center. You might at first be disappointed that you have to sit through the theater show before you can get to the exhibits. I was, but quickly got over it--the show is outstanding. And here are many interesting interactive exhibits. Among other things, you can have your boys (and yourselves) sworn in as President of the U.S. by a virtual Chief Justice, and then buy tapes of their Inaugurations.
Old Jun 25th, 2005, 06:15 AM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Katti:
It has been many years since I lived and commuted in Philly but still my first impression after reading your post was "Why leave 30th St station to go to the historic area?" 30th St is the hub of the train lines in Philly. You should be able to just go to a different track to get a train that goes on to Market. If things haven't changed it will go past Suburban Station which is in the heart of downtown and then to Market. The only downside would be that on a Sunday trains may not leave that frequently. Go to the Septa web for info.
Old Jun 25th, 2005, 06:45 AM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, I found out why you might want to take a cab or subway (El)instead of regional rail. The R5 (Paoli line)only runs every hour on Sundays. The Frankford-Market subway line runs every ten minutes. Go to www.septa.org for info. Have fun!
Old Jun 25th, 2005, 07:30 AM

Hi Katti!

Had to chime in here...

With an Amtrak ticket stub, as mentioned before, you can ride SEPTA the commuter train into Center City Philadelphia for FREE. You'll get off at the 2nd stop Market East Station, right by the Reading Terminal Market and short walk to the Liberty Bell/Independence Hall.

The R5 Doylestown is one of a number of trains heading into the Center City; there's also R6 Norristown, the R2 Warminster, R3 West Trenton and I'm pretty sure some others. Just ask the conductor or fellow passenger if the train is going to Center City before you board if you're not sure. I've never waited for a commuter train from 30th Street to Market East for more than 10-15 minutes, even on a Sunday.

This is the way to do it, is pretty fast, will save you $; there's definitely no point in paying for the subway for 4 people. I used to do it all the time when I would visit from Baltimore.

Then you can cab or subway back at the end of the day.

Bon voyage! DAN
Old Jun 26th, 2005, 08:34 PM
yk

Katti-

I've lived in Philly for 6 years and have taken the Amtrak many many times.

At 30th Station, you can take ANY SEPTA regional train FOR FREE to Market East Station (with your Amtrak stub). There are plenty of trains going there - every few minutes. NO NEED to take the subway!!!

When you get off Amtrak, just ask the conductors that you want to go to Market East station, and they'll point you to the right track.

It probably will be faster than taking a cab (waiting in line and being stuck in traffic).
Old Jun 29th, 2005, 08:39 AM

I'd second the suggestion to just take a cab - it should only be about $10 and 10 minutes. Plus, you'll drive by City Hall, which is a nice view.

I'd be happy to give you some suggestions for other things to do that day, but it would be helpful to know what interests you, and how you feel about spending the day walking around.

Assuming you are pretty much staying in the Independence Mall area, and that you are interested in early American history, I'd suggest getting tickets for 10:30am, say. That gives you a bit of leaway if your train is delayed, and if you everything goes well, you'll have some time to look at the exhibits in the Vistor's Center and walk around the area before going in to see the Liberty Bell.

Go in and see the Liberty Bell and then cross the street to see Constitution Hall. You'll be able to see it all in an hour and a half. Have lunch somewhere in the area - there are lots of good restaurants on Market St and 2nd/3rd streets between Market and Chestnut.

In the afternoon, go see Ben Franklin's house, on Market between 3rd and 4th (I think), the Betsy Ross House, various churches on Arch St. Take a stroll along the Delaware, and walk through Washington Square. Pine and Spruce streets between 2nd and about 10th are nice places to stroll as well, and give you a feel for the historic character of Philly.

If you are feeling ambitious, you could easily walk the 18 blocks from the Delaware to Rittenhouse Square in about an hour, which would take you by City Hall and give you a chance to stroll along Broad St and Walnut St, both nice places to walk. A late afternoon snack in Rittenhouse Square and a cab back to 30th could complete your day.

If you do leave the historic core, get a gelato at Capigiro Gelato on 13th & Sansom. Best ice cream in the city, but a bit out of your way if you are staying in the immediate neighborhood of Independence Mall.
Old Jun 29th, 2005, 02:52 PM

Katti, just in case you haven't looked at the topped thread and the link I recommended above, be aware that getting tickets for Independence Hall for 10:30 AM as msacton suggests is inadvisable for you if your train is due to arrive at 30th St. station at 9:15 AM. msacton may not have been to the Hall as recently as I have (May) and may not realize that under the current post-9/11 security procedures, you are required to pick up your ticket at the Independence Visitor Center at least an hour before your tour time, in order to be sure you have time to get through the long line for the security screening necessary to enter the area of the Hall and the Liberty Bell. They say they will give away your ticket if not picked up by an hour in advance, a very real threat since in summer they say they usually sell out for the day by mid-morning.

So to get there by 9:30, as you would need to do for a 10:30 tour, your train would need to be on time, and you would need to be able to get to the other side of downtown by taxi or train in 15 minutes. Possible, but definitely not enough leeway. I would book a tour time of no earlier than 11:30, and perhaps somewhat later, as there is the Bell and plenty of other things to see on the other side of the security checkpoint.

One other caution--it would be a natural for you to conclude from reading, or for someone to recommend, that you and your boys should visit the Reading Terminal Market, just a few blocks from the historic area, where there is a great variety of stands, some run by the Amish, and lots of good things to eat. However,that book or person may forget to tell you that the Market is closed on Sunday, when you will be visiting. (That happened to me, although I enjoyed a later opportunity to see it.)
Old Jun 29th, 2005, 08:07 PM

I've never actually been inside Independence Hall during tourist season (in winter, the whole timed tickets thing is unnecessary, as you get just show up at get tickets for right then). I was suggested 10:30 based on giving yourself a bit more than an hour to get from train to entrance. If you need to get your ticket an hour in advance, I'd suggest no earlier than 11:30, as JBC411 suggests.