Amish quilts made in Asia

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25th, 2006, 04:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are thinking of spending $600 for that Amish quilt you spied in a shop in Lancaster (PA) county, doublecheck the origin. That $600 quilt may very well have been made by Asians who have earned only a few dollars (at most) for their work.

http://www.mcall.com/news/local/all-...,3671214.story

It's not surprising to find Asian-made quilts with Amish designs at lower prices in catalogues, non-Amish shops or on the Internet.

If you want to buy these supposedly Amish quilts made in Asia, that is your decision, of course. Some of the sellers openly say the quilts, while still hand-done and beautiful, comes from Asian workers. Others hide the fact:

"Most quilt shop owners do not mention their Southeast Asian workers. That would spoil the image of a Lancaster quilt as the product of strictly Amish or Mennonite hands. Quilt tags in pricey shops credit the work of Lancaster's Plain People, but rarely the Hmong, who are referred to as ''local Lancaster quilters'' if at all."

So...remember that just because your expensive quilt was purchased in an Amish-themed or owned shop in Lancaster county doesn't mean that it was made by the Amish.

As always, caveat emptor!
Old Apr 25th, 2006, 05:31 AM

That's an interesting article- thanks!
Old May 1st, 2006, 12:46 PM

A little known secret. Each February & early March, 5-6 of the Lancaster County fire companies have "mud sales". These early spring auctions are for the fire company's benefit and sell local quilts that are donated or on consignment.A great place to get affordable quilts and a real flavor of the PA Dutch area.
Old May 9th, 2006, 05:43 AM
Melrose

personally i have no rspect anymore for the Amish.. I have ehard they always try to rip us poor travelrs off, and anyone that lives in the Pittsburgh area and saw the news about how they sale these little puppies for puppy mills, well it was awful. and gee,the Amish ran the auctions. Good luck, look for art and craft shows in your area, you would have better luck finding great handmade things! Maybe call the local chamber of commerce....

Old May 9th, 2006, 05:53 AM

I had heard about the Asian quilts, but I thought they were all machine-made, not hand-made.
This will probably turn into a debate, but I'm of the same mind as Melrose when it comes to the Amish.
While they shun "modern" people, there seems to be no issue about making money off those same people.
As an aside, a friend of mine used to live near an Amish community. He told me the Amish have no problem with asking for favors, such as a car ride when they have to make a longer-than-normal trip. (So it's OK to ride in a car, but forbidden to own one?) But they're unlikely to help anyone outside their own community.
Old May 9th, 2006, 06:56 AM

It's not just quilts. Crafts are a dying industry in the USA. Most crafts sold today are made in China.

I recently visited Fredericksburg, a town in the Texas Hill country with a large number of crafts stores. I looked at a huge number of crafts (quilts, dolls, carved items, etc), and did not see a single item made in the USA. About 90% of what I saw was labeled as made in China. Most of the rest were made in India.

What really susprised me was the good quality. If it was not for the labels, I would never have known or even suspected the crafts were made outside the USA.
Old May 9th, 2006, 07:24 AM

The object of Craft and Gift shops is to make money, right? If tourist want to spend their money buying something that is labeled as having been made in China or where ever, what difference does it make if they buy it in an Amish Shop or Walmart?

Having said that, hand made items can be wonderful things to buy and own, if they are unique. If they are very similar to things that can be bought in a thousand other tourist traps, they are merely sovenirs of a trip.

It's a case of "Buyer Beware" no matter where you go. The fact that the Amish are viewed as religious doesn't mean that they don't have monetary needs just like everyone else.

Just my humble opinion for what it's worth. I have a quilt on my bed, I got it on sale for $29.95. Made in some Asian country. I love it! Would I have paid more for it if it had been on display in an Amish shop? Of course. Because it's unique, but not just because I thought the Amish made it.
Old May 9th, 2006, 08:15 AM

Aileen the issue seems to be that some of those quilts bought in Amish shops are NOT labeled as being "made elsewhere" and making money is one thing...MISREPRESENTING the origin of goods is a different matter entirely.

And, quite honestly, your definition of "unique" may be different from some others.
Old May 9th, 2006, 09:03 AM

Asian made products are ripping off everyone who produces goods and services. My mother spends weeks working on one-of-a-kind quilts and sells them for a price that is so low I can not believe it. I tried to help her find a wider market on eBay and found a market saturated with Asian made quilts at prices that bring down the price of all quilts.

Its not just quilts. A Japanesse company actually had enough gall to produce Texas's famous Blue Bell ice cream with the same logo and packaging without any permission or licensing to do it.

Asians and East Indians have also severely cut into my business by undercutting prices for services which I and hundreds of other Americans provide for architects. There is no way I can make a living if I charged the extremely low prices they are charging which they can make a good living doing.

The bottom line of all this is... and I know I will get flack. Within the next ten years China will become the world's economic leader and the US dollar will not be the world's standard for trade.
Old May 11th, 2006, 09:00 AM

Let's remember that this is a travel help site not for negative political commentary. I have lived in PA Amish country since 1978 and, in my opinion, these shots are grossly unfair. My Amish neighbors get absolutley no help from the Lancaster tourism industry, local municipalities or the hoardes of tourists unless they try to compete for the tourist dollars. They get squeezed by skyrocketing land prices, put their lives in jeopardy trying to navigate the clogged streets and face the option of competing or leaving. In my opinion, their presence is the only thing that saves the farming/open land heritage of Lancaster County.Without them we would be an extended Outlet center for the visitors from Baltimore, Philadelphia and areas north of Princeton, NJ.
Old May 11th, 2006, 10:04 AM

no opinion on the quilts. but cheapbutnice is exactly correct about the land. whereever you are think about all the places near you that used to be crops or pastures. i grew up a bit east of lancaster. when we built our house there were fields on 4 sides. now highway, shopping center, schools and developements for miles around.