Reload this Page >

Amish/Lancaster Area

Search

Amish/Lancaster Area

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7th, 2001, 09:07 AM
John

Amish/Lancaster Area

We will be travelling in PA next week and will be going through the Lancaster area. If we are only spending 1/2 day in Amish country, what should we absolutely try to see or do?

Thanks,
John

Old Jul 7th, 2001, 09:54 AM
kam

Not kidding--plan to eat at a good Amish restaurant. Their cooking is outstanding.

Old Jul 7th, 2001, 11:10 AM
Marie

John, yes, do have an Amish meal - their food is super. The main highways in the Amish country are very commercialized. You must drive the back roads to really see the Amish at work, and their homes. I love seeing their wash hung out to dry, and the children in their plain clothes and suspenders out playing or working. Too bad you only have half a day, but if you stick to the back roads, you will see what you have come to see. Enjoy. Marie

Old Jul 7th, 2001, 05:44 PM
Sloane

Bird in Hand is a restaurant I went to every year as a kid. Enjoy this is a very unique area that we frequently don't appreciate enough.

Old Jul 7th, 2001, 05:47 PM
Sloane

Stick to your ribs cooking with plenty of seventies type dishes; chicken crockets,ham, meatloaf. It is good but don't expect cuisine. I would seek out quilts and or fairs go online, see if anything special is happening. It deserves a stay over I think.