Reload this Page >

Americar Car Rental in Orlando

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6th, 2001, 02:55 PM
Eugene

I recently made reservations with Americar at Orlando International Airport. Their prices are very low, so I am wondering if anyone here has had any experience with them in Orlando (how long did it take for the shuttle to show up? long lines? quality cars? etc.) Thank you in advance for your comments/suggestions.

Old Aug 7th, 2001, 09:05 AM
Daniel

My friend used them (not sure in which city). He didn't have anything negative to say.

Old Aug 9th, 2001, 06:45 AM
Bubble

All rental companies are the same. Just choose the cheapest one.

Old Aug 9th, 2001, 07:00 AM
Not A Bubble

Now there's a statement which declares loudly "I am in fact ignorant about car rental agencies but I'm going to spout my opinion as if I'm informed".

Sheeesh!
Car rental agencies vary dramatically. Cost, quality of cars, proximity to baggage stations at the airport, service, amenities, frequent traveler programs, dependability, help if you get into trouble and on and on.
Your statement "Bubble" is akin to saying "all house are the same".

Old Aug 11th, 2001, 05:14 PM
jack

I used them and they were fine. Shuttle took maybe 15 minutes to come. No long lines to get the car. Car was fine.

Old Aug 13th, 2001, 03:44 PM
Gael

We walked out on them because they tried to get us to sign a contract with NO dollar amount and refused to put one although they had our credit card info. We tore up the contract and headed to Alamo. There is nothing ethical about taking a credit card then asking for a signature without confirming the rate. We'd reserved online and will NEVER consider them again. All car rentals are FAR from equal, and you stand a much greater risk of hidden, but totally legal, extra charges in the fine print. As a former TA I've seen it, and as a consumer experienced it. I rent only from national chains like Alamo, Avis, Dollar - Period. We go to Orlando twice a year and always rent from Alamo.

Old Aug 14th, 2001, 06:35 AM
Andrew Saino

Eugene,

Don't be a moron. You don't need to rent a car in Orlando. All the 5 star resort hotels (I assume you are staying at one) have courtesy shuttles to and from the airport. They also have courtesy shuttles to and from the major parks. (Unfortunately, if you want to do something insane like pay $50 for a dinner show you are out of luck.) Anyway, I agree with you that all rental companies are the same - except in one way - price. Go for the cheapest car you can find, if you must rent. But remember, there is no shame in taking the bus.

Old Aug 14th, 2001, 06:44 AM
Joyce

Don't go to Alamo in Orlando. They'll rip you off in any way they can. Worst car rental experience I ever had and will never use them again anywhere.

Old Aug 14th, 2001, 07:01 AM
Eric

Andrew:

Your comments are certainly moronic. A car is a big plus (if not a necessity) in Orlando. Buses are okay if you want to limit your vacation to visiting major Disney parks between the hours of 10 and 7. You will need to use taxis (or nonexistent public transportation) for all other destinations.

Old Aug 14th, 2001, 08:46 AM
Yevgeny

Andrew is right! The shuttle buses are great in Central Florida. I took my grandma to Florida last September and we were wisked all over the place without paying a dime. We saved over $100! With that money, we were able to enjoy Mickey popsicles in Disney World, and grandma was able to buy new dentures.

Old Aug 14th, 2001, 09:00 AM
Mike

I travel to MCO at least 4 times/yr and have had great experiences with Alamo and typically get a convertible for <$160/wk. I've had a terrible experience with Americar between the waiting at the counter and the hokey CC stuff they do. Hertz has been OK also although they tried to rip me off for the tank not being full enough and I had to get the Attorney General involved.

Old Aug 14th, 2001, 09:46 AM
George

Janet Reno went to work on Hertz for you?
Wow! I'm impressed.
You've got some major clout there, Mikester.
(Did she threaten to do the Church Lady dance in front of the property unless they relented?)