American Diner with music with 11 year old

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4th, 2005, 01:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi we're travelling to NYC with our 11 year old son from the UK. We would like to enjoy Burgers and ribs in a diner that also has live music - Jazz band or similar.
Old Oct 4th, 2005, 04:15 AM

When are you coming?
Old Oct 4th, 2005, 06:06 AM
QC

A diner with live music? I've never seen such a beast. It's a bit like asking for a pub with a sushi bar. A diner is a really specific type of establishment, and the NY/NJ variety is DIFFERENT from the usual American version.

The only place I can think of that sort of meets your description is Amy Ruth's (113 West 116th Street), which features Southern US food and live music on the 4th Friday of each month.

For a ribs/music combo, you can also try B.B. King's (237 West 42nd), owned by the famous musician. They have daily live performances and serve the types of food you mention. This is probably your best bet. They usually feature blues and rock.

If you are looking for a typical NYC diner, many visitors like Tom's (112th and Broadway), the diner featured in "Seinfeld". The food is not exceptional, but it is a very famous facade, and kids in particular like to visit places they know from movies and TV.

Old Oct 4th, 2005, 06:17 AM

The only music I have ever heard in a diner came from a jukebox. You would place a quarter in the box and select a song - lots of fun. Now the question is...where can you find one in NYC?
Old Oct 4th, 2005, 06:23 AM
Original Poster

we're travelling here end of October.
We are looking for a restaurant that has background music live preferably, no one famous but a group adds a bit more atmosphere to a plain old meal out
Old Oct 4th, 2005, 06:38 AM

Janjack, perhaps you'd like Ellen's Stardust Diner on Broadway. We went after seeing a play, they had decent food and great waitstaff who broke into song (show tunes and 50's music etc) between serving - standing on tables and dancing and interacting with patrons. I think you'd like it!

Check it out: (I like their warning about not being responsible for runs in nylons and missing hubcaps!)
http://ellenstardust.com/
Old Oct 10th, 2005, 05:07 AM

Just bringing this post up to the top in hopes that someone new might see it and give you some more ideas. It would be helpful if you could let us know where you will be in NYC. Perhaps there would even be something nearby your hotel. Without having some idea of "where", it's like anyone here asking about a good fish and chips place in London. You could spend a fortune in cabfare just getting to it.
Old Oct 10th, 2005, 05:35 AM

I think that the only place that fits the bill would be the Stardust diner.
Old Oct 10th, 2005, 06:18 AM

You already have some good suggestions here.

Diners are typically not restaurants that provide entertainment. They are for getting a quick, decent meal and being on your way.

Waitresses in these types of establishments make their income based on turning tables quickly...not having you camp there all night listening to live music.
Old Oct 10th, 2005, 06:20 AM
GoTravel

The Gospel Brunch at Sylvia's in Harlem would be your best bet.

Old Oct 10th, 2005, 06:38 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Many (most?) places with jazz or live music are bars (serving alcohol) where kids wouldn't be admitted.
Old Oct 10th, 2005, 06:44 AM

The restaurant Blue Smoke specializes in barbecue ribs and such (not the best, imo, but okay) and they have some jazz on the premises on some evenings; you can inquire,I'm not sure of the details. I suspect however that your 11 year old will not find many peers there for the music.

http://www.newyorkmetro.com/content/02/wk22/review.htm
Old Oct 10th, 2005, 06:46 AM

found another one

http://newyork.citysearch.com/review/40116166
Brother Jimmy's, although imo it's more of a bar than a restaurant, not sure about the 11 year old
Old Oct 10th, 2005, 07:23 AM

I frequently see kids in Brother Jimmy's, as I believe they often eat for free, but be prepared to deal with crowds of VERY drunk 20-somethings winding down from the day's football and softball games (it's the type of young, rowdy joint that serves booze in fish bowls with straws). And they don't have live music, and the bbq is so-so. (The sandwiches and bar food, on the other hand, are terrific.)

I'd go with Blue Smoke. (Although it is a restaurant, not a diner.) The bbq is not as good as what you'd get down South, but coming from the UK, I'd imagine it would work. And they do have live music.
Old Oct 10th, 2005, 07:25 AM

"We are looking for a restaurant that has background music live preferably, no one famous but a group adds a bit more atmosphere to a plain old meal out"

See, that's the problem...

I'd rather look for a place to have a fantastic meal, than rely on music to make it special. Different strokes...
Old Oct 10th, 2005, 07:33 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your suggestions will look up suggested sites.
Thanks again
Old Oct 10th, 2005, 07:35 AM
Original Poster

Sorry meant to say we're staying at the Essex Hotel on Central Park South
Old Oct 10th, 2005, 08:06 AM

You may want to get an issue of the latest Time Out when you get to your hotel, and check out places that offer a jazz brunch. I've never been to one, although I think I remember walking past on in the Village (AFTER we'd already had a huge breakfast). Of course these are traditionally only offered on Sundays, so unless one of your days is a Sunday, that's not going to be an option. (And Time Out or your hotel concierge may be best to provide the info about who/when)
Old Oct 10th, 2005, 09:22 AM

If it's music and lingering you wish, I think a coffeehouse might be more to your liking. A "coffee" will cost more than a standard "diner", fastfood, or restaurant coffee, but it's because you're really paying for the entertainment. I can't think of any specific coffeehouses, but the "Time Out" magazine/tabloid may be useful, or some local websites. Good luck.

I also wonder if there's a bit of a language barrier involved in this thread regarding the word "diner"
Old Oct 10th, 2005, 09:28 AM
GoTravel

Diner or dinner?

Supper or dinner?

Tea or Supper?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -