Search

amazing race 11/01

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1st, 2005, 06:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
amazing race 11/01

It finally is getting a little more interesting in terms of locations, roadblocks, etc.

Have to admit, the Weavers are on my last nerve and they certainly must behave in such a way that is offensive to others. I don't think I can remember a yield that so many (all?) of the teams wanted them to be yielded. Was sorry to see the Gaghans sp? go instead of them. That little girl was so cute at the end trying not to cry and the parents never say anything but words of encouragement to their children or each other.
Old Nov 1st, 2005, 07:31 PM

at the risk of getting my head chopped off...

What am I missing about the Weavers? I find that family with the fat mom, sissy boys and garbage man dad far more annoying. Did the Weaver's do something in week one that I missed?

BTW How unclassy was the amazing race to have them go to a race track knowing that the dad was killed at one? Even if the segment was planned before the Weaver's were selected, I'm sure that they have alternate plans.

This is why I can't watch like I used to in previous seasons. There is always something that gets my blood boiling and it turns into more stress than relaxation.
Old Nov 1st, 2005, 07:52 PM

I apparently have missed the deal with the Weavers also and I have watched it every week. Considering all they've been through, I'd think the others would cut them some slack. The annoying NY family is growing on me. THey have overcome some major obstacles and I think have grown as a family. It's always hard to see a family go.
Old Nov 1st, 2005, 11:05 PM

Argh. See the problem with posting a new thread every week is that now there are two threads for 11/01 and very few posts on either of them. The old thread which lasted a whole season got a lot more action.

Last week there was some controversy about the Weavers' vocal prayer habit. Did anyone else hear them say something tonight like "let us win instead of the other teams." I thought I heard that, but wasn't entirely sure. In any case, they have to be one of the teams most disliked by their fellow racers ever.

My guess is it has a lot to do with their attitude of moral superiority (which does not seem earned).

Meanwhile, that little girl, bravely holding back the tears!! What a great spirit!! We were sorry to see them go, although I never saw how they could make it to the end with such young kids.

Dad&Daughters: is he clueless or what? He doesn't understand why his pretty blonde daughter doesn't want to get out of the car dressed in a tank top and shorts in the middle of the night in a Latin American country to ask directions from a group of strange men? Yikes.
Old Nov 1st, 2005, 11:29 PM

Just loved seeing the Costa Rican scenery! Got a kick out of how all the teams pronounced Jaco Beach. What a great boost for Costa Rican tourism when the little girl said how pretty it was and the dad said he would like to go there on vacation. Although, hopefully, they can go when it isn't the rainy season! What a great opportunity for those two young children to travel to the different places they did. It was pretty heart breaking seeing Carissa's face at the end. Can't wait to see where they go next week.
Old Nov 2nd, 2005, 12:23 AM

Yes, CiCi, we consoled ourselves thinking what an adventure of a lifetime it was for those two kids. Plus they seem to be a really nice family and I like the way they treat their kids a lot.
Old Nov 2nd, 2005, 02:44 AM

I too was surprised at how well the team with the young kids held up the whole race. I thought the parents treated their kids with a lot of respect, and the little ones weren't whiney/breaking down from fatigue - no one "lost it". I was sorry to see them go. I kept saying that the mom should have gotten on her hands and knees earlier to find that red bean.

I'm finally starting to enjoy AR. I wished the non-elim week was switched btwn last wk and this wk so those screaming women would be gone.

At first I couldn't understand the dislike of the Weaver family too, but in the last couple of episodes I saw it. Marilyn...you are right I heard it too, along with "that's the stupidist volcano I've ever seen"!

Watching the Paullo (sp?) family in the first few episodes made me just cringe, and I was sure they would be the next team to go. However, in the last two episodes I think AM has done more for that family than a million dollars could ever do. Both those disrespectful, rude sons have a new appreciation for both their parents. The older son before could not stand to be with his mother and in the last couple of episodes his body language and demeanor to her have completely change. He even kissed her on the head a couple of times!

I think that mom is a real trouper. Even she had said before she had hoped the result of the AM would be that her family would treat her better. I'm glad it's coming true for her.

Enjoy-la!
Old Nov 2nd, 2005, 04:15 AM

I thought the Gaghan parents had a great attitude. A really nice family.
Old Nov 2nd, 2005, 04:23 AM

In last night's episode, one of the Weaver children explained how they had been taught not to trust other people all their life and how they are better than others.

Keith
Old Nov 2nd, 2005, 04:27 AM

At the road block, did you notice that when the other teams tried to give the Weavers encouragement (like "You will catch up"), the Weavers were so hateful to all of them?
Old Nov 2nd, 2005, 04:58 AM

Tht Gaghans didn't loose because of the kids, they lost because the mom couldn't find the bean...just darn luck. I was thinking one of the kids should have done it. I liked them.
Old Nov 2nd, 2005, 06:14 AM

Just let my "Amazing Race" post drop to the bottom.

Brenandg, can you start the new week's post each week? That way we won't have duplicates.

Marylin, the problem, for some of us, with having a single post that keeps getting longer is that with slow dial-up it takes forever for the post to load. I know, I know, "just get DSL or cable", right? Problem is, I can't. Too far out in the "boonies", I guess.

Anyway, I also was sorry to see the Gaghan family go. Man, is that little girl competitive, or what? A real trooper.

The Weaver's must be doing SOMETHING to get so many other teams to dislike them. Maybe we will find out when it is over.

As it is, I am enjoying it more as the teams narrow down. Can actually remember which team is which now.
Old Nov 2nd, 2005, 06:25 AM

I hated to see the Gaghan family go last night. They always were so encouraging of each other and treated each other so well.

The Weaver family is annoying. While they were waiting during the yield, they were making fun of the other contestants.

The dad in the Branson family should have gotten out for directions instead of trying to make the daughter. I can't imagine any dad making that suggestion.

The Paollo family is growing on me. I really disliked them at first and hoped they would go soon, but seeing them grow is great! The one son who was so awful to his mother has really made some great turns. It is like night and day from the beginning.

Old Nov 2nd, 2005, 06:27 AM
JJ5

I sure wanted her to get down on her knees and look for that bean at closer quarters. I'm sorry the Gaghan's lost.

Costa Rica looked fabulous and its on my list now.

The Weavers deserve the disdain, I was wrong last week. You can't promote proactive isolation and then not understand the reaction. I heard them say exactly what Keith just noted. Plus they do make the most ignorant comments upon geography and physical topography that I've ever heard- recorded anyway.

The only person I truly can not abide in this race is the father of the three girls though. He is consistent- I must say that. Blau / negative/ not an iota of sensibility.

I know, crefloors, that the Paolo's make your skin crawl. And that is going to probably be the majority reaction. But those kinds of families are actually extremely common- and I, of all people, "got" them from the beginning. Some people love by fighting. I know it is toxic to most sensibilities and cultures. But I have found it rampant within immigrant cultures here in Chicago. It's rather like the respect thing imploded. My parents have been doing it to each other for 60 years on Dec. 15. Last week I was going to go "on" about them but they are what they are.

Just as an aside- those Paolo boys are going to have a hard time staying married, if the patterns I see all the time, run true.

And they are going to be tough to beat. My Dad was a Chicago garbageman, so I KNOW- and my Mom was twice as fat as Mrs.Paolo. But they are both the last one standing today at 86 and 84- and just as feisty.

I think the prize was GREAT. I would have a hard time picking between the Vespa and the jet ski. I would probably pick the jet ski as I have the perfect place to use it.
Old Nov 2nd, 2005, 06:28 AM

..."At the road block, did you notice that when the other teams tried to give the Weavers encouragement (like "You will catch up"), the Weavers were so hateful to all of them?"
Well, can you blame them????....when they discovered that EVERY team wanted to yield them??? I still don't see why they all hate them, but it must something that we haven't seen. Every team is SO concerned with them and with knocking them out of the race. Choosing to yield them was such an example of the other teams using their emotions instead of their heads! Why the heck are you going to yield ANYONE this early in the race??? And what happened??.....it didn't even work!....as the Gaghan family got eliminated instead!!
Old Nov 2nd, 2005, 06:31 AM

I can't believe the Weavers consider themselves 'good Christians; with what was shown last night. At the yield stop they were mocking all the other teams (hmm, judge not bit must not be in their bible) and poor sportsmanship (something to the effect of I hope you lose).

Mom Paolo is growing on me. She might be a tortoise, but she'll beat the hare. Seeing dad haul the bananas around while the kids struggled showed the boys that dad can do hard work (and I wonder what's the most physical labor those boys do?)

Ok, the Paulos won a choice of ATV, scooter, jetski or something else -- what do you see each one picking. I think mom and dad will get scooters, but I'd love to see mom on the jetski.
Old Nov 2nd, 2005, 06:46 AM

The Weavers seem to be the type of Christians who are so prevalent today...just asking God for favors all the time (help us win!)...and not knowing anything about what it really means to be a Christian.
Old Nov 2nd, 2005, 07:17 AM
E

The way their behavior and remarks at the Yield were edited, I can only hope the Weavers see the error of their ways. They claim moral superiority with one breath, and then make fun of other teams' clothing and appearance with the next. (Meanwhile, the Weaver girls are dressed like strippers midway through their act.)
God does not like ugly...
Old Nov 2nd, 2005, 07:29 AM
HKP

I'd love to see teams watching themselves on the show -- although I assume people like the Weavers would just protest "they edited us..."!
Old Nov 2nd, 2005, 07:31 AM

I thought the Gaghan family was great - so encouraging and positive with their kids. I thought the kids were wonderful at the finish line.

It was nice to see Costa Rica, too. It's so beautiful!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -