Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Am I the only one who's discovered Melbourne Beach, FL?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6th, 2002, 11:31 AM
jerry

Almost by accident (a friend has a house there) I ended up spending a week in Melbourne Beach, FL. Now I'm wondering why I hadn't heard about it before. Nice beaches, near the river, great location (90 mins to Orlando, 20 mins to Cape Canaveral) and no tourist traps.

Anyone else love (or hate) Melbourne Beach?

Old Mar 6th, 2002, 11:40 AM
sunlover

Funny you should mention that. I was there in Feb. and loved it. Maybe you blew it by letting everyone else know.

Old Mar 6th, 2002, 12:06 PM
sleepy1

Great desolate beaches there, but it may be a little too quiet for some people.

Old Mar 6th, 2002, 01:55 PM
Sara

SSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Don't tell.

Keep raving about st. pete, LOL

Old Mar 6th, 2002, 02:57 PM
Debbie

OK guys,give it up! Where is Melbourne Beach located near?
Ft Lauderdale?Pompano?Miami?
I've been to Ft Lauderdale beach and thought it was great. Any hotels/resorts in the Melbourne Beach area? Thanks.

Old Mar 6th, 2002, 04:57 PM
xxx

Debbie...Jerry did say it was only 90 mins from Orlando and 20 mins from Cape Canaveral! Now put that thinking cap back on and figure it out!

Old Mar 6th, 2002, 06:55 PM
me

Anyone know if Samperton's restaurant is still there?

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 06:34 AM
rob

....lived in melbourne area for 24 years. and we are trying to keep it a secret. indialantic to the north is, sadly, starting to fit the tacky cocoa beach mold. lets hope this doesn't spread south to melb. bch. with its deserted sands and 1950's era motels. i'm always amazed how this area (melb./sebastian/ palm bay) has hardly changed since '88.

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 06:43 AM
jerry

Someone asked about hotels in Mel Bch, and I think that's the beauty of the place -- there really aren't any big hotels.

BTW, Mel Bch is on the east coast, about halfway between Canaveral and Vero.

OK, sorry I let the cat out of the bag.

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 07:32 AM
Debbie

I was looking up hotels for Melbourne Beach and saw the Quality Suites Oceanside.Is this on a quiet part of the beach? Can anyone suggest a place to stay? It doesn't have to be a big resort,just a nice place on a quiet strip of sand.Thanks for any help!!

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 07:41 AM
yyy

OK, apparently x woke up on the wrong side of the cave today.

Anyway, your choices of hotels in Melbourne Beach is kinda limited, so you're probably going to have go with the QI. If it's on the beach in Melbourne, it's probably going to meet your requirement for "a quiet strip of sand."

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 07:57 AM
OK

Samperton's was closed the last time I was there (about a year ago)food wasn't really exciting, but can't beat the view...
OK, I too wanted to keep this place secret, but as long as people are already talking about it...
Debbie, there are three hotels in a row in Indialantic (just up the road from Melbourne beach--in fact the hotel names usually include "Melbourne Beach") Holiday Inn, Hilton, and Radisson.
Holiday Inn is part hotel, part 'motel" (with separate entrances)seems like a real 'part place' even during the off season, Hilton is the nicest, about 12 stories tall, all room with balconies and all facing the ocean, Radisson is all suites, but not as nice as the Hilton (and many of the rooms are reached from a hallway that is uncovered--so you go up the elevator to a hallway and are then outdoors--not so great if it's raining)

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 09:48 AM
Lucy

You people may be letting the genie out of the bottle and ruin the area...... one of the reasons I like it, on top of the ones mentioned, is the small airport I can get in and out of and avoid the hellish one in Orlando

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 12:53 PM
joan

I can't believe nobody's mentioned one of the BEST reasons to love this area: the turtles!!! that's right, from May to October, any night you go out on the beach, after say 11 pm, you WILL see turtles. (Yes, you will be eaten alive by mosquitoes too but you won't even notice.) The first half of the time period, there'll be mama turtles digging nests and laying eggs, the second half, you guessed it, babies erupting from the nests and scrambling toward the water. Absolutely incredible. I am not exagerrating. Family owns a cottage in Floridana Beach, south of Melbourne, and we go over every summer for this incredible display. Who needs Costa Rica when they have Sebastian?

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 02:26 PM
ZoomZoom

I live in Sebastian and I love it here.
The natural beauty along the Indian river still makes me smile.
Small town, small town values.
Brilliant.
Perfect place to raise a family.

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 03:13 PM
Jack

My family went a couple of years ago as part of our Disney vacation, and we were disappointed. The area is nice, but very sleepy and a little tacky. We enjoyed our trip up to the Cape and found a couple of nice places to eat. We were interested in finding another nice place to eat, and two different people recommended Shoney's.

Different strokes for different folks, but for a beach getaway I would rather recommend Captiva or clearwater. JMHO

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 06:09 AM
rob

melb. bch. tacky???? i think there's some confusion between south melb. bch and indialantic which is often called melb. bch.

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 06:16 AM
jerry

Whoa, Nellie! Someone who likes Clearwater is saying Mel. Bch is "tacky"! Gimme a break.

My guess is that person never set foot in the South Beaches area of Melb.

But here's a thought: Yeah, you're right. Melb. Bch is tacky. So, everyone, make suure you stay away!

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 10:14 AM
Debbie

Now Jerry your not gonna get rid of us that easy! Melbourne
Beach sounds great.Thanks for letting the rest of us in on it.

Old Mar 11th, 2002, 08:17 PM
Michele

Been coming down for almost 30 years and have been all over the state. You can only do the Disney thing so many times. For relaxation and that feeling of getting away from it all ... Sebastian, Melbourne & Vero still get my vote.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -