Am I crazy to drive through DV in August?

Old May 25th, 2005, 05:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Am I crazy to drive through DV in August?

Hello, I from the UK and am planning a road trip from San Francisco to Las Vegas in late July / Early August. We will be taking in Tahoe, Yosemite and Lone Pine. But we also want to drive through Death Valley on route to Vegas.
Is this crazy? I have read and heard various opinions some saying it is madness, some saying it is fine as long as we have lots and lots of water - for us and the car.
What do you think? We will be in a hire car - will I need a 4 wheel drive? Will a normal car survive the temperatures? I really don't fancy changing a tyre in that heat!
Any advice would be helpful.
Old May 25th, 2005, 06:45 AM

You do not need 4WD. Normal cars will be fine. Take some precautions with water, etc. but lets face it....This is 2005, not 1849. Almost every car has a cell phone or 2 in it. Lots have Onstar (an American thing I suppose...emergency communications and directions via satellite).

Tires can go out anywhere, but again your car will be close to new and should not have problems.

Baring everyone in the vehicle being very elderly, I wouldn't worry.
Old May 25th, 2005, 06:54 AM

You're not crazy, but just be aware of what you're getting into and try to minimize the discomfort. 50 C temps will put a strain on your car and yourself; there's no way to get around it. Amongst ways to reduce the strain:

1) travel through DV early in the morning, NOT in the afternoon or early evening.
2) watch the gauges for petrol and temperature. Gas stations are few in the desert. If the temp seems to be climbing a bit too high; slow down and turn off the air conditioning (yes, I know that will be horrible, but it's better than your engine overheating).
3) check the water level in your radiator every morning. Do *NOT* open a radiator when the engine is hot.
4) Drink plenty of fluids, before and during the heat.
5) Recognize you've chosen a destination that will be incredibly, uncomfortably hot; so just accept it without complaint.
Old May 25th, 2005, 06:56 AM

When I was a kid my family drove through Death Valley in early July. And this with a car without air conditioning and no water with at all. Guess what? We survived. (Though we all were a bit de-hydrated by the end of the day!)

Just be aware it will be very hot. Bring lots of water for you and the car, though I doubt you will need it for the car. There are also several points where un-potable water is available for vehicle useage only. It can be a long drive, but I find it fascinating. But, then, I like the desert.

Also, the area is patrolled via aircraft and there will be other motorists about. Don't know what kind of cell phone coverage you would have out there, but you will be amazed at the number of other people also driving through that time of year.

Coming from the UK, this is going to be a very unique experience for you. Relax and enjoy!
Old May 25th, 2005, 06:57 AM

I agree with placeu2... you don't need 4WD to drive through Death Valley. It's a 2-lane road that is fully paved just like a highway and in most places, you'll see signs that PROHIBIT off-road driving - to protect the desert habitat. As long as your car is in good condition and has air conditioning, you'll be fine. Last time I was there we took my dark blue BMW 3series and my only complaint was that a dark car attracts a lot of heat. While that didn't matter inside the car with the AC on... whenever I accidentally touched the outside of my car, like when I was getting in the trunk, I would burn myself pretty badly.

When you make stops in Death Valley, at the various scenic spots, you might want to consider cracking the windows and sunroof a bit when youleave the car parked in the lot. Yes, dust may get in, but I preferred dust to a steaming HOT car when we got back inside.

Yes, make sure you have lots of water. Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. And, don't forget the sunscreen and hat. Have fun!
Old May 25th, 2005, 08:29 AM
ltt

go for it. death valley is very interesting. i'm not sure if scotty's castle is open in august but if it is, take the tour.
as mentioned, keep an eye on your temperature gauge. there are several hills there and you will NOT be able to drive with your air conditioning on while going over those.
call the national park service and find out what is open at that time of year. would be nice to be able to stop in an air-conditioned restaurant or visitor's center for an hour.
Old May 25th, 2005, 08:57 AM

Yes, go for it!
We've driven through twice, both times in July, and we were fine. We made various stops, got out for pictures, and were not alone -- there were many others doing the same thing. Also, the dining rooms were full of people and both lodges were completely booked both times.

Also saw something interesting - apparently many cars are road-tested there as the conditions are certainly *extreme* in the summer. Saw many models doing their thing, including passing several BMWs being towed away by pontiac bonnevilles!
Old May 25th, 2005, 09:12 AM
mpf

Driving to Las Vegas whether by I-15 or whatever, or through Death Valley, the difference in temperature isn't that great. It's hot everywhere; normal precautions should be taken. DV is truly a unique area, however.
Old May 25th, 2005, 09:55 AM

I spend a week every year in Death Valley. The solitude at Stovepipe Wells is refreshing to the spirit. Yes, the heat is overwhelming...but just prepare and the trip will be fine.
Although there are water "stations" for engine use (not drinking) along the highway it would be smart to have 2-3 gallons in the trunk so you don't have to walk to the station if needed.
Before entering the Valley, stop at a local discount store (Wal-Mart) and fill your cooler with drinks & snacks. Also, be sure to fill the car up with gas. I've witnessed gas as high as $3.50+ a gallon in the park.
Remember, it only takes less than half a day to travel through the Valley if you don't count your stops. As you pass Stovepipe Wells toward Lone Pines, you begin heading for the mountains. Watch your speed as you will hit several "dips" in the road which could cause an accident as your car picks up speed as you go down the long hills. Also, the roads get very narrow and twisty. This is most certainly a land of contrasts.
Start your morning out early in the dark and plan to be in the park by sunrise. You should experience this. Be sure to visit Badwater. But, if your schedule allows, plan on spending a night at Stovepipe Wells Motel. You can experience the extreme heat of the afternoon...but in their swimming pool. The next morning, get up and go right down the road to the "Sand Dunes" and walk out and sit on top of one of the dunes and watch the sunrise. Don't forget the camera!
As many days as I have spent by the pool, the majority of visitors I have met have been international travelers. Not many have spoken English...but the smiles as we share the pool in the blistering heat is universal. We know we are sharing a unique experience. Enjoy your trip & perhaps I'll see you there (July 12-16)!
Old May 25th, 2005, 10:25 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Sure you can go through DV. Just be aware that services in the valley are extremely limited, and that your visit will be largely car-based; getting out for even short snapshot photos will be very uncomfortable.

The point about mobile phones is very important, especially for foreign visitors. US mobile phone networks don't always have good coverage in places like the Mojave Desert or DV, and the technology used in many US mobile phones is different and incompatible with European (rest of the world, actually) standards. So be sure you have some means of communications, even if it means buying a Virgin mobile (ugh) with a pay-as-you-go plan. Or if your mobiles are "unlocked" GSMs, or if your service has a US counterpart, make sure you look at coverage maps to see if they will work out in the desert. Have fun but be careful. The tire (our spelling) changing thing is a scenario not to be taken lightly.
Old May 25th, 2005, 10:38 AM

Not sure what route you will be taking thought the park, but keep in mind that there is road construction and up to 30 minute delays in one section!

http://www.nps.gov/deva/

Utahtea
Old May 25th, 2005, 10:46 AM

placeu2, lol "This is 2005, not 1849"

People do this drive all the time. Road construction and other activities go on there year round too.
Old May 25th, 2005, 11:03 AM

Just a note to an earlier reply - it should not be necessary at all to open the radiator. Every new US car I've opened the hood on has a coolant recovery bottle through which additional coolant is added to the engine if needed. It's also the place to check the coolant level. There's a line on the side to which it should be filled.
Old May 25th, 2005, 04:36 PM

I was there in late March and was informed that 1) cell phones don't work (this I assume refers to the normal US services) and 2) there is no Auto club service. If you break down and need a two you are at the mercy of local farmers in the area who may be available to tow you to Las Vegas for a few hundred dollars. So be sure you know how to change the tires on your rental vehicle. There was a lot of road damage due to last years's summer floods and pothole hazards are numerous. I would stick to the paved roads, you can see fantastic scenery without going off road.
Old May 26th, 2005, 08:03 AM
Original Poster

many thanks for all the advice and suggestions. I will definately do it as it sounds like an opportunity too good to miss.

Thank again