Alternatives to Disney, FL

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3rd, 2016, 09:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello: My ten y/o and wife would like to travel to FL from here in NY for the upcoming spring school break. I do not want to do Disney, again. Besides the Keys what are other areas can I look into that may make a good family destination?
Old Mar 3rd, 2016, 09:45 AM
J62

The 3 options that come to mind are

a) somewhere along the East Coast- from Augustine south to Miami
b) somewhere along the Gulf Coast, from Naples to Clearwater
c) Panhandle

warm sun, beaches, pools. Perfect for any family vacation.
Old Mar 3rd, 2016, 09:57 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
If you go for the panhandle try any of the towns on 30A.
http://30a.com/map/
The keys are probably too far and may not be such a friendly family destination.
Old Mar 3rd, 2016, 10:18 AM

If you go for the Gulf Coast nearer Clearwater, you'll have great beaches plus all that the Tampa/St. Pete area has to offer--Busch Gardens, the Lowry Park Zoo, museums...
Old Mar 3rd, 2016, 12:41 PM

Clearwater is great. Along with the beach, there are a lot of other things to do (Suncoast Seabird sactuary, Clearwater marine aquarium, etc.) and Busch Gardens Tampa is a great park with animal theme. Some years we have had cool weather and high winds in March in Clearwater, but hopefully that wont be the case when you go.
Old Mar 3rd, 2016, 06:28 PM

The Wizarding World of Harry potter at Universal is wonderful, if your 10-year-old has read the books or watched the movies.. My kids LOVED it.

Also recommend Sanibel Island near Naples.

Also love Siesta Key between Fort Myers and Tampa- gorgeous beaches.

And if you're willing to go just a little further south from Florida.... Atlantis resort in the Bahamas is great for kids and adults!
Old Mar 3rd, 2016, 06:31 PM

Also- I agree with Tomfuller that the Keys are not the best choice for a family trip.

And the panhandle is not always warm during spring break- go further south.
Old Mar 3rd, 2016, 07:49 PM

You might look into the Longboat Key/Sarasota FL area.
Old Mar 4th, 2016, 01:05 AM

Look at the Gulf coast - it is a different experience than the Atlantic coast. You could fly into Tampa and do a 1-day stop at Busch Gardens and then head south to some of the areas mentioned above.
Old Mar 4th, 2016, 07:12 AM

In stead of Florida, get a direct flight from NYC to San Juan, PR. - just over three hours.
Lots to explore, great weather, nice hotels at reasonable prices. Beaches, good food. Might cost a bit more for flights, but considering the high cost for Disney, the overall cost would be about the same.

Another option would be a cruise out of Miami or Ft Lauderdale or San Juan with stops on different islands and great beaches.

The best ones for sightseeing are out of San Juan. They cost a little more for airfare, but hotels for pre-stay are cheaper, so again, not that much more. Cruises from Florida are a bit cheaper with cheaper airfare, but not as many stops. Just get one on a ship with nice pools and water activities and interesting things for kids. On the islands, you could swim, snorkel, kyack, etc.

Puerto Rico or a cruise would be my first choice, but also look at Williamsburg, Va. Historic sites to explore and Busch Gardens should be open. Look at a place like Great Wolf in Williamsburg with indoor pool. That will be costly, but no more than Disney.
Old Mar 4th, 2016, 08:02 AM

I love the idea of PR - no passports needed, they use the same currency as the mainland, cell phones and internet work. History, natural beauty, beach, food - but it feels very "foreign". Did not mention it since I was starting to sound like an spokesperson for the PR tourist bureau.