Search

alternate to I 95

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5th, 2003, 08:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
alternate to I 95

Will be traveling from Rockland County,(lower Hudson Region),N.Y. to West Palm Beach, Fl and would like to find alternate route from the I95 corridor especially around Washington D.C and Virginia. Also where to stay after 7-8hrs driving.Thanks for any advice.
Old Apr 5th, 2003, 09:13 PM

Sounds like a good question for AAA. If you are a member, they will provide a free "trip tik" and you can specify your criteria for the trip. It's good to belong, if you don't - great help when you have the inevitable flat tire or dead battery.
Old Apr 6th, 2003, 05:24 AM

Stop at any rest area on your trip down and pick up a guide to local hotels. There is sort of a coupon book and you should be able to find places to stay that will not break your budget.

You might look into Rt 1 which goes all the way down to Florida and has some nice scenery.

Try mapquest on your computer as well and AAA should also have some suggestions.
Old Apr 6th, 2003, 09:36 AM

A number of people have posed similar questions re: various segments of your trip -- strongly recommend trying "I-95" or "I95" (both with and without hyphen)in the search box. You can by pass the DC-Richmond corridor easily I-97 and 301 by-pass. You can wander into Bucks County (New Hope/Doylestown), which is a nice detour. Warn you that going way west/inland on, for example, I 81 will add a LOT of time to your trip.

You can probably get from NY to Richmond or a little further the first day, to Savannah the second.
Old Apr 6th, 2003, 10:11 AM

Any hints or atlernative to the SOUTHERN end of I 95?

Returning home last spring break was a nightmare! At one point on I 95, it took almost three hours to drive from St. Augustine to Jacksonville! The rest of the trip north was also bumper to bumper, but at least it kept moving.

Anyone have any secrets?!

Thanks, all!
Old Apr 6th, 2003, 12:25 PM

A good way would be to take I84 to I81 south to I77 in SW Virginia to I26 in Columbia,SC to I95. We've done it twice. You avoid a lot of traffic and have some pretty scenery in Virginia. You can also take I295 around Jacksonville,FL if you arrive there around rush hour. We stayed in Charlottesville, Va as a side trip for 2 nights and enjoyed it a lot. Stayed near I95 in Savannah,Ga the next night. On the way back we stayed in Charlotte, NC but we were closer to Florida than you (NE Penna). Hope this helps. Have a good trip.
Old Apr 6th, 2003, 02:01 PM

Without getting deeply into the specifics of your route, I can tell you that although a previous poster mentioned that I81 adds a lot of time to your trip, we've done that several times (traveling to/from Boston area to SC) and haven't minded the extra time. The scenery and getting off 95 make the extra time worth it to us.