Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

aloha! christmas eve lihue arrival//anything open to eat/ get take away?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11th, 2007, 12:29 PM
leavingsoon

Hi Everyone-

Got last second tickets to Hawaii and land on Lihue at 8pm Christmas Eve.

Where could we eat that will be open that night on the way north to Hanalei?

Even a take away would be fine, but a restaurant would be really good.

Mahalo!

Old Dec 11th, 2007, 12:29 PM
leavingsoon

We land AT Lihue, ON Kauai. Oops.

Old Dec 11th, 2007, 12:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All of the restaurants at hotels will be open.

The fast-food and plate lunch places tend to either close early, or be closed completely on holidays.

Your best bets -- traveling north from the airport -- will be the hotel restaurants. First will be at the Hilton, then Hukilau Lanai in the hotel behind the Coconut Plantation Marketplace (can't remember hotel's name), and then the new Palms at Makaiwa. All of these are on the maikai (ocean) side of the highway.

Your only option on the north shore, will be the Princeville Hotel (very pricey holiday "special" buffet) -- everything else up here will be closed.

Would strongly urge you to make reservations -- eating out is a very traditional holiday event for island families, and these places book up quickly.
Old Dec 11th, 2007, 04:12 PM
leavingsoon

Mahalo for that fast reply.

Do you think there might even be like a store with a refrigerated sandwich section or something open?

It will be a long day flying/ airport and I don't think we'll be even presentable for a hotel meal alongside families.

Thank you again!

Old Dec 11th, 2007, 08:10 PM

Star Market is in the back of the Kukui Grove Shopping Center and may still be open on Christmas Eve. I would guess that Costco would be closed by then. Another option would be the ABC Store right next to the Kalapaki Beach and you should be able to pick up some provisions there.

If you want to have supper upon arrival and prior to heading North, Duke's at the Marriott Lihue would certainly be open Christmas Eve and you may want to call/e-mail ahead and see whether they would honor a reservation.

Another simple--but fabulous--supper idea would be Hamura Saimin (please google for address) for a quick and delicious, steaming hot bowl of saimin before the long ride North. They rarely close, so I can only assume that they would be open on Christmas Eve as well.

I am also thinking Hanamaulu Tea House in Hanamaulu, but that is too lovely of a place for a quick meal.

Somewhere between Lihue and Hanamaulu there are Kentucky Fried Chicken and McDonalds, and if all else fails, well, at least you will not be hungry.

Wallmart may still be open.

I am sorry about having no suggestions for the Kapaa region-- was never a fan of that area of Kauai.

By the time you get to Hanalei, chances are there will be nothing open.

O.K. Just one more thought. I have no clue where you are flying to Kauai from, but you could always bring with you a few cans of tuna, a dozen bagels, (pre)frozen good salami, cheese, etc., and it would serve you in an emergency situation.

Aloha,
Anna Roz
Old Dec 12th, 2007, 10:21 AM
leavingsoon

Thank you so much for that level of detail.

It will be a long day at the airport- we have seats on the late arrival but will be standing by for the much earlier flight, otherwise I would be much less concerned.

There is a chance we may find a better flight ahead of time, but now I feel a lot better with these suggestion alternatives.

Mahalo again for your detailed help and good ideas!

Old Dec 12th, 2007, 11:16 AM

There is the Safeway in Kapa'a. It is open 24 hours and they have a deli and bakery.

http://shop.safeway.com/superstore/d...&page=corphome
Old Dec 12th, 2007, 11:47 AM
dmlove

I don't know about that particular Safeway, but our local Safeway, even though generally open 24 hours, does close later on Thanksgiving Day, Xmas Eve and New Year's Eve. You might want to call them directly to ask.

Old Dec 12th, 2007, 11:47 AM

I suggest that you check with Safeway and other stores and restaurants for their hours on Christmas Eve. We flew into Kona on Thanksgiving and wanted to get a few things for breakfast for the next morning. I called and checked and the Safeway in Kailua was open only until 6pm and the other markets in the area closed earlier than that.
Old Jan 3rd, 2008, 02:47 PM
leavingsoon

Mahalao again for your replies that I am just seeing now. We went, we ate, we got wet in the rain.

Aloha!