All you US East Coasters - Wake-up time first morning

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27th, 2003, 01:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To all of you who travel to Hawaii from the East Continental US - what time do you get up the first morning in Hawaii? And then what time are you ready to go to bed that night.

The reason I ask is that we plan to arrive on Kauai around 4 pm and then get married the next day. We are planning to get married that day around 5 pm. Would it be better to marry at sunrise because we will be up already? I prefer that evening so I can get my hair done etc but by 5 pm - will we be too exhausted? We plan dinner at the Princeville at 7pm?

How did you all feel that first full day after your arrival?

Any advise on getting "right" with the time change?
Old Sep 27th, 2003, 02:46 PM

We arrived in Maui around 3 pm our first day, and went to sleep around 10 pm. We were wide awake at 3 am. I don't think I would want to get married the next afternoon, I was pretty exhausted by 7 pm the next day. It took us about 3 days to get used to Hawaii time. Sounds like a very unique idea to consider the sunrise wedding. It would be a beautiful setting!
Old Sep 27th, 2003, 03:23 PM
GoTravel

The traveling West to East is what kills me.

Old Sep 27th, 2003, 04:56 PM

We arrived at the hotel around 8:30PM and went to bed around 11 PM, we were woke up around 3AM, layed around until 6Am and went to breakfast. We probably went to bed around 10PM our second night. If it is not too late, I would push the wedding back a day, or arive a day earlier so you can get a little more adjusted and settrled in.
Old Sep 27th, 2003, 05:08 PM

Here is another vote for 3 am. That is why I think driving up to Haleakala the first day is a good idea. If I were getting married however, I would go for early afternoon.
Old Sep 27th, 2003, 05:57 PM
OliveOyl

I awoke at 3AM as well. DH slept right through, drat his hide!! I sat in the bathroom reading as he slept. FUN.

Old Sep 27th, 2003, 07:09 PM

OliveO! Invest in an "Itty Bitty Book Light." Make sure you get the adapter so you can plug it in. Do a Google search for on-line sources or check out EBay. I got one at the Salvation Army Thrift store for about $5.00 and wouldn't travel with DH without it. He snoozes; I read and we're both happy.
Old Sep 28th, 2003, 07:53 PM

A brighter, but more expensive, light would be a miner's light. You can get one at REI ora good outdoors/backpackers store.

I can't travel without one nowadays. It doubles as a flashlight.

Much brighter and leaves your hands free!
Old Sep 29th, 2003, 03:59 AM

We were up by 4am the first few mornings. You get to meet alot of other people from the East Coast wandering around too. By the time we could adjust, it was time to come home and we were wide awake the first few nights back in PA. Not sure what to tell you about the wedding. You could take an early afternoon nap before the wedding. The excitement of the whole thing will probably keep you going. Congratulations.
Old Sep 29th, 2003, 04:10 AM
sandi

We arrived HHL about 12N, stayed up entire day, had dinner with friends, went to sleep around 11pm - were up at about 7am next morning. No jet lag at all.

Though during the following days did mannage short naps while out at the pool, but I do that most times when I'm at beach or pool. Had no sleep problems during entire 10-days.

Old Sep 29th, 2003, 04:16 AM

my husband and I and our 3 sons flew from newark at 6am and stayed awake until @ 9pm... we woke the next morning at 7. we had no trouble adjusting to hawaii time, GoTravel is right...coming home was awful!!ccouldnt fall asleep and couldnt wake up the next morning. you'll probably be fine, the excitement will carry you through. have a great time.
Old Sep 29th, 2003, 08:20 AM

I flew out of NYC at 8:30AM (arrived in Maui around 3PM), slept alot on the plane, and forced myself to sleep at 11PM (I usually sleep around 1AM) so I could wake up for a 3AM pickup to catch the Haleakala sunrise. It was really tough to wake up so early. I managed to stay awake most of the way to the volcano but don't remember any of the drive back. I took a two hour nap afterwards and basically adjusted to Hawaii time with no problems. As previously mentioned, it was a different story when I got home.
Old Nov 1st, 2003, 05:56 PM

We woke up at 5am for the first 3 days in Hawaii. I liked it though, more time in the sun. And we weren't even first for pastries and coffee. Came back (to the east coast) 2 days ago and haven't been able to get to sleep before 3am yet....