All Elvis, All the Time: Memphis Trip Report

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28th, 2008, 03:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got back from an “All Elvis, All the Time” vacation and wanted to take the time to write a trip report to share our experiences. My husband, daughter (10 months old) and I actually started our vacation by flying into Mobile, Alabama where my mother lives and to spend a few days there visiting with family and friends. Our real adventure began however as we, along with my mother and stepdad all loaded up the rental car and headed north, bound for Memphis.

Thursday, January 17th
It was a relatively short drive from Mobile to Memphis (Mapquest said about 6 hours, and I think we did it in about 5 1/2). We planned our route up Hwy 45 to accommodate for a stop in Elvis’ birthplace of Tupelo, Mississippi (about 100 miles out of Memphis). It’s a neat stop to see the home that Elvis was born in, as well they have a small museum to go through too. We really had the place to ourselves this time of the year and where better a place to start an Elvis vacation, then at the very beginning?

We made it into Memphis, somewhere in the neighborhood of 3pm, checked into our hotel, Springhill Suites by Marriott, on Main St. and settled into our rooms. We walked just a few blocks, and were at the Peabody Hotel for the famous duck walk by 5pm. Grabbed my daughter a front row seat, and enjoyed seeing her delight as the ducks waddled down the red carpet. After asking several locals as to the best place for ribs in Memphis, we headed off to Rendevous for dinner (I had read a lot of mixed reviews, for Rendevous, but after having so many locals said this was the place to go, we felt compelled to give it a try). Our final opinion of Rendevous – skip it! This is not where you’re going to find the best ribs in Memphis, not by a long shot. We did however eat the best ribs of our lives the next night…

Friday, January 18th
Woke up each with a different Elvis song playing in our heads, and ready to see Graceland! Got to Graceland about 10:30am, and stayed the whoooole day (I think we left about 4pm). We went to every exhibit our Platinum Tickets allowed us to see and had a great time, and loved everything Elvis! Left with a substantial amount of souviners and still hungry for some world famous Memphis BBQ. Found the best BBQ in Memphis on Beale St. at the Blues City Café (across the street from BB King’s Blues Club). Yummy! I wouldn’t even try anywhere else in Memphis for BBQ on a return trip, because I know it wouldn’t beat the ribs here! Took the trolly back to the hotel due to the chilly temps and all settled in to watch a movie for the night.

Saturday, January 19th
Our first stop of the day was at Sun Studios to take their tour. I knew ahead of time our daughter wouldn’t be allowed to take the tour due to her age, but they are very nice about it, and give mom and dad free tour tickets on account of one of us having to stay back and do the tours separately. After the tour was over they also allowed our daughter to go into the studios to take pictures with us. Loved the tour and learning all the “behind the scenes” stories and history of where some many famous artists got their start.

Headed next to the Civil Rights Museum. Due to I’m assuming the larger crowds on the weekend of Martin Luther King Jr.’s B-day they were sold out of the audio tour, so we enjoyed the museum the old fashioned way, and did a lot of reading! I think the audio tour would have definitely enhanced our experience here, but we did enjoy the museum. My most touching experience here was not actually from one of the exhibits, but overhearing a young boy asking his mother to explain again why Rosa Parks wasn’t allowed to sit on the bus. He was having such a hard time comprehending it all, and it made me think that soon I’ll have to try to explain to my daughter the “why” of racism. It was amazing to be reminded how recent in our history the civil rights movement really was. Stopped in for dinner at Garibaldi’s Pizza to take a break from the BBQ.

Sunday, January 20th
An early morning flight took us back home, while my mom and stepdad drove the rental car back to Mobile. We all really loved our Memphis vacation – it was so neat to go thru the city and so often feel that you’re walking thru history, walking thru the same streets, buildings, rooms, etc. as so many other famous people from history once did. And I should mention this and other vacations would not be possible without the fine makers of the Baby Bjorn- we love them!

Some closing comments about our hotel. Things we loved – a beautiful view of the bridge and water, a good breakfast with lots of variety, trolley stop right in front of the hotel, lobby offered hot teas, coffee, hot chocolate, and the occasional cookie or apple, parking was never a problem, and there was a Walgreen’s across the street, convenient to pick up a candy bar, baby wipes, etc.

Things we didn’t love – a refrigerator in our room that rattled non-stop, and the elevator and ice machine that we shared a wall with, making for a very unrestful nights sleep our first night. Needless to say, we had to change rooms the next morning. Main TV in the living room didn’t work, but was fixed the next day. After being gone all day on Saturday we returned to our room to find that it hadn’t been cleaned, but the hotel did give us a $50 credit to our room due to the inconvenience. The problems we encountered are things that easily upon another visit we would not be bothered with, so I would be willing to give the hotel another chance. The staff was helpful in working out all of the “glitches” we encountered.

Hope this helps in planning your own Elvis vacation! It has certainly gotten us excited for our 5th wedding anniversary coming up this April, as we’ll be heading off to Vegas to renew our wedding vows, with none other then the King officiating!
Old Jan 28th, 2008, 03:55 PM

coryandcarissa-

It has been several years since I've been, but I also think Memphis is a great place for a 3-day weekend. It is so close to so many other big cities (Little Rock/Chicago/Nashville, etc), it really is a nice "getaway".

I am 51 yrs old and been to hundreds of "tourist attractions" in my life, but to this day, I still say one of the best was Graceland. It was so well done and you are allowed to take your time, and all the different pieces. As much as there is out there on Elvis, I still learned a number of things about him by going through Graceland. I never had much of an interest in him, but was forced to go by then-15-year-old-daughter who is still (at 27)a HUGE Elvisphile!

So glad you all had a great time!
Have fun in Vegas! (I just got back from there!)
Old Jan 28th, 2008, 06:17 PM

I'll agree with you that Blues City is very good. Rendevouz is equally as good. Sunday Brunch @ Peabody is outstanding as well. I wouldn't say that any of these are better than the other they are all very good.
Old Jan 28th, 2008, 06:36 PM

I'm glad you had a good time. Your trip report brought back a lot of good memories for me.
I've been to Graceland a couple of times and always enjoyed seeing it.

The last time I was there, a young man from Australia tagged along with us for the day. ( he was staying at the same hotel and asked if he could join us... not sure why he wanted to join two old gals... but anyway..). He was totally in awe of everything. His eyes got wide,and I thought he was going to cry. He said it was like being in the Promised Land. Honest, that's how he felt! It was fun to watch him enjoying himself so much.
Old Jan 28th, 2008, 07:19 PM

Hello coryand carissa, although I have never been to Memphis I just wanted to say that I so enjoyed your charming and informative trip report. I have a feeling that you two and your little daughter will have many more adventures together in the coming years.

I wish you two a 5th Happy Anniversary in April. May you have a long and joyous life togther!