All around California + LV tripp

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11th, 2004, 07:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Starting from LA we have 5 days to see LV+Grand canyon,Death valley,Yosemite,Lake Tahoe,SF and back to LA by car.Is it possible and may someone have some ideas about this.Thanks for advice.
Old Feb 11th, 2004, 07:49 AM

Possible? I suppose, although you'll spend almost all of those five days in the car and precious few moments at each site. Advisable? Absolutely not. It will seem like a grim Death March, and it's not like all of that driving is scenic (although some is beautiful). The LA-LV haul is a long, dull slog, 4 hours on a good day-- and if there's an accident on the I-10 or I-15, all bets are off.

With such little time, I'd advise you to just drive up to SF (6-8 hours, depending on the route) and spend the time there.
Old Feb 11th, 2004, 07:50 AM

I don't even know if it is physically possible to get to all those places by car in 5 days, let alone see much while you are there. I would suggest picking 2-3 of your destinations and stick to either the south or the north.

Old Feb 11th, 2004, 07:54 AM

J: Doing a bit of figuring, I calc'd about 34 hours of driving to make this little circuit. And that is optimistic: No accidents, full speed, don't stop anywhere in-between. Six to seven hours a day in a car is my idea of Pure Hell. Your idea is much better-- pick a region of the state, pick a couple of things of interest to explore a bit. And if you want to go to Vegas, just grab a Southwest or JetBlue jet and spend some quality time!
Old Feb 11th, 2004, 08:05 AM

I'm not big on long stretches in the car either. It doesn't feel like vacation to me. The only time I schedule long stretches like that is times when we are just trying to get some place - across Nevada, down to LA or San Diego on I5, and things like that. And those long hauls are always followed up by a couple days of relaxation in one spot.
Old Feb 11th, 2004, 08:48 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I agree with J and rjw. Is this trip punishment for something? Someone must have been really bad! I do understand your problem..so many things to see and limited time. You will, truly, see things better and enjoy them much more if you follow J's suggestion. We'll let you come back another time.
Old Feb 11th, 2004, 09:05 AM

PLEASE listen to everybody. With just five days, even just LA to Yosemite to Tahoe to SF to LA would be a death march. And that is dropping Death Valley, LV and the Grand Canyon all together.

Do Yosemite, the mid coast (near Monterey/Carmel) and back down the coast to LA - OR - the coast and SF - OR - Tahoe and SF. You really can't do much more than that in 5 days.

And depending on when you are going even talking about Yosemite may be academic since it books up months ahead.
Old Feb 11th, 2004, 09:57 AM

You looking at driving over 2100 total miles that's over 400 miles a day....doesn't leave much time for eating and siteseeing. I would forget trying to do all.

Either choose Las Vegas, Grand Canyon and Death Valley OR Yosemite, Lake Tahoe and San Francisco. Even if you choose just do one of those two choices you aren't going to have a lot of time in each place.

If you are planning this trip in the summer then you might want to forget Death Valley as part of the Grand Canyon and Las Vegas trip and instead to to Zion National Park and Bryce National Park instead.

Utahtea
Old Feb 11th, 2004, 02:23 PM

How about three days in Los Angeles and then hop a plane to SF for 2 days?
Old Feb 11th, 2004, 03:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What time of year?
Old Feb 11th, 2004, 08:32 PM

Absolutely not! With only 5 days I'd recommend 2 days in LA and drive to Yosemite and stay thee for 2 days and then spend the last night in LA before your flight. That is all you can do in the amount of time you have. SF, Tahoe, Death Valley, LV, and Grand Canyon are just too far from LA with the limited time you have.