Alcatraz Night Tour - has anyone done this

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25th, 2003, 12:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello All, planning trip to San Francisco this summer and, or course, want to visit Alcatraz. I have read up but can't seem to find many first had reports on the night tour. I think it sounds kinda spooky and neat... Kids (26, 18 & 17) would probably like it. Anyone have any first hand reports? Did you feel it was worth the extra cost? Thanks! Vacationmom
Old Feb 25th, 2003, 01:17 PM

Frankly, I would not suggest Alcatraz in the day, let alone at night. It is really not all that interesting, and in the summer it will be quite cold on the boat ride to the island.
Old Feb 25th, 2003, 01:36 PM

I've never been to Alcatraz at night, but I found the day time tour very interesting - lots of history on that island. Also, you get some incredible views from the boat on the way out there. Definitely dress warmly - it can get pretty chilly out on the bay.
Old Feb 25th, 2003, 02:07 PM

SFer, not to be pejorative, but there appears to be very little about San Francisco you do like. I have to wonder why you stay there.

Vacationmom, personally I think the Alcatraz tour is great. I've been on it at least 3 times over the years. Never at night though, so I can't comment on the night tour.
Old Feb 25th, 2003, 03:31 PM

We enjoyed Alcatraz at daytime - can imagine that night would have some appeal, but the daytime views of bay were great. There were some out-of-building areas where one could walk down narrow paths (although much of the island is off-limits) that I can not imagine would be manageable at night.

Before registration there was someone on this board who frequently recommended Alcatraz night tours - don't know if that would still show up on search of SF or Alcatraz, but it might be worth a try.
Old Feb 25th, 2003, 04:24 PM

I agree that Alcatraz is not worth your time. Thre are many other things to do in Northern California that are of more interest.
Old Feb 25th, 2003, 04:40 PM

Grasshopper, What would make you say that I do not like SF? I would not be living here if I did not like it. As a resident of SF I feel that I can offer an honest assessment of things for visitors to not waste their time with, and Alcatraz is one of those.
Old Feb 25th, 2003, 04:45 PM

SFer, I'm sure this will be deleted but click on your name. Everything you post is about where not to stay or what not to do. I don't see anything suggesting where TO stay or what TO do. Only one, and that one says go to L.A.
Old Feb 25th, 2003, 04:49 PM

The Alcatraz Night Tour is well worth your time & money. We went on it about a week after 9/11, so to say the least it was a small group that took the ferry over. It was very interesting, fun & yes, spooky. It really gave you a sense of the isolation that the prisoners must of felt being there in the dark, looking out at the lights of San Francisco Bay.
I don't remember if the audio tour was extra, but I suggest doing that, as they have voices of actual prisoners narrating the history of Alcatraz.
Old Feb 25th, 2003, 05:05 PM
kam

I have been to Alcatraz on a day and night tour and felt that they were not that great, despite what some people say. Save your money for something else.
Old Feb 25th, 2003, 05:23 PM

Ok I'll post my honest opinion; I am a "tourist" to the nth degree and on our recent trip to SF one our highlights was the Alcatraz tour. I honestly think you will enjoy it and it is kinda spooky at night! Honestly I thought the history aspect of it was great and imagining the time back then was cool. Just my honest opinion. I also can't honestly understand why the "locals" reccomend against it. Millions visit and love it, we honestly did. To each his own, Happy Appalachian Trails!
Old Feb 25th, 2003, 05:37 PM

I recently visited SF and everybody told me that Alacatraz was something not to be missed. We decided to do the night tour and what a letdown it was, not at all what we expected. I cannot imagine thew daytime tour being much better.
Old Feb 25th, 2003, 08:53 PM

I've been on the day tour once during a trip to San Fran and I would have to admit that I was a little disappointed with Alcatraz. However, I think that would have to do with all the hype/myths that Hollywood has created about it. I would definitly recommend that someone who has never seen it, to go see it at least once. Then you can draw your own conclusions. At the vary least you can have a picture taken of yourself squatting above one of the toilets in the open cells! It makes for a memorable picture. I also thought the fake heads the guys made before escaping were intersting.
Old Feb 25th, 2003, 10:26 PM

We made the Alcatraz tour last week and we enjoyed it as there is a history and it is sth different but we expected much more then we saw actually(because of Sir Sean Conery?)You can take photos inside.Dress warm and don't miss the return boat.
Old Feb 26th, 2003, 04:12 AM

I took the day tour when on a recent trip to SF last month. It was okay but nothing that I would go out of my way for, that's for sure. I had to stand in line for over an hour just to get on the boat.
Old Feb 26th, 2003, 06:29 AM

Sorry, can't reply about the night tour but I have taken and enjoyed the day tour twice - last time was on our honeymoon! My husband loved it, too.
Old Feb 26th, 2003, 06:29 AM

Sorry, can't reply about the night tour but I have taken and enjoyed the day tour twice - last time was on our honeymoon! My husband loved it, too. We are in our 40s.
Old Feb 26th, 2003, 12:36 PM
Original Poster

Wow!! First time I've had a chance to check the boards today. Thank you all for taking the time to reply. We will definately do Alcatraz, and will take all comments into count as we decide on whether or not to do the night tours. I hadn't thought about the aspect of seeing the trails at night...,. something to consider.. Thanks to all for taking the time reply..... I'll have to give this some thought....
Old Feb 27th, 2003, 01:51 AM

I think I would much rather take the ferry to Sausalito to have lunch than to visit Alcatraz.
Old Feb 27th, 2003, 05:43 PM

I have been on both tours.
I really enjoyed the tour, however I dont recommend the night tour for two reasons. The cost is much more and there are areas that I saw on the day tour that I didnt see on the night tour because certain areas are unsafe at night.
I took my 12 year old and his friend, thinking they would really get a kick out of it, especially at night. Unfortunately, they thought it was a huge bore.
Hope this helps.
P.S. When I asked my son and his friend their favourite thing,it was driving down Lombard Street. Go figure!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -