Search

Alcatraz ferry- seasick?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2nd, 2004, 03:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alcatraz ferry- seasick?

Help!
I am scheduled to go on the Alcatraz ferry next week during my visit to SF. I am starting to panic! I have a problem with seasickness. How long is the ferry ride? Is the water rough? Should I sit outside or inside? Looking at the horizon or not? I bought sea bands with the hope they will help---I really don't want to take any medication.
Old Aug 2nd, 2004, 03:38 AM

I am the queen of seasickness - felt ill once touring a docked military ship in Bermuda. That said, even I did not get seasick on Alcatraz ride - very short - 15 to 20 minutes - plus boarding and unboarding time.

Perhaps it was the strong breeze that kept me feeling OK. For a ride that short, avoid the medication - no matter what they claim, they all make some people drowsy and with the walking on Alcatraz, it would ruin the trip.

Best part of the trip was standing on Alcatraz, looking at SF, and imagining what it would have been like to be locked up there.
Old Aug 2nd, 2004, 04:25 AM

Hi Gail! If you're the queen of seasickness , our dd is the princess! and the alcatraz ferry wasn't a problem for her either. Dorgal, it's not like a typical ferry, (such as Whidbey Island to Port Townsent, WA) in that the speed and waters DO make it quick and easy, or at least appear to be. Also agree w/gail about not taking meds - it could really ruin the tour experience. Good luck and have fun!
Old Aug 2nd, 2004, 04:27 AM

It is difficult to say how rough the water will be on your trip.
Stand outside with your face in the breeze - it is a short ride and you will be glad you did it when you see the view that awaits you on Alcatraz! I get seasick bobbing on a raft in the water, and I managed!!
Old Aug 2nd, 2004, 04:50 AM

If you are asking about the MOST stable part of the ferry/ship, it would be the CENTER. That's the part with the least swaying motion.
Old Aug 2nd, 2004, 07:39 AM

I am very prone to motion sickness, and I would agree that the cool breeze on the Alcatraz ferry helps. It certainly isn't one of the rougher rides I've taken (and it is short), but it depends on the conditions when you go out.

I used the bands for the first time this summer on a snorkel trip--they worked like a miracle for me! I do not like to take medication either, and these actually worked! Follow the directions for proper placement. Another tip: keep them on until you are sure you won't be in motion. I was so thrilled that I wasn't sick when we arrived at our destination (miles off shore), I took them off and then felt sea sick in the water. Next trip, I swam with them, and wow! no sea sickness! I know you won't be in the water, but don't take them off until you step on the island--or maybe even a few minutes after walking around.
Old Aug 2nd, 2004, 09:24 AM

I agree, the Alcatraz ride wasn't very long and I was fine in the air. There is a small boat trip that does a circle around the bay in about 30-40 minutes on which you "pass by" Alcatraz, I got stuck on the lower level on that one and didn't do very well.
Old Aug 2nd, 2004, 01:51 PM

It's a short ride, and yes, look at the horizon or whatever you can see far away in front of you - don't look at anything close to you.
Old Aug 2nd, 2004, 02:18 PM

Should be no problem, especially early AM, but avoid the "exhaust" from the big diesel power plants on the "ship".
The US Nat'l. Park service guided trip @ Alcatraz is pretty neat.
M
fmr LCDR, MC, USNR
Old Aug 2nd, 2004, 02:32 PM

mikemo, just curious, what does LCDR, MC, USNR stand for?
Old Aug 2nd, 2004, 02:48 PM

is usnr = US national ranger?

just a guess
Old Aug 2nd, 2004, 02:58 PM
Kal

AHOY!!! hahahaha...knowing Big Mo, Lt. Commander, Marine Corp Naval Reserve?
They've been know to drink a fine wine from time to time!
Old Aug 2nd, 2004, 03:14 PM

There is no such thing as Marine Corps Naval Reserve. There are Marine Reservists and Navy Reservists. Try Lt.Commander, Medical Corps, U.S. Naval Reserve.
Old Aug 2nd, 2004, 03:36 PM
Kal

Ooops. Big 'mo is a doc, so. Head was thinking Medical...Monday fingers typing Marine?

I picked a bad week to quit drinkin'. O
Old Aug 2nd, 2004, 04:07 PM

Dorgal,
In all the times that I have taken the Alcatraz trip the only time I started to feel sick was when I boarded early and then had to experience the motion while everyone else boarded. I learned to board toward the end of the process.

I agree that outside with the air will be better.

Swimmer- My husband and son still tease me as I got motion sickness while snorkeling at Looe Key in Florida. Not during the boat trip, but the motion of floating and watching the fish!! I'll try the bands in the future.
Old Aug 2nd, 2004, 04:13 PM

Swimmer: Missed it earlier - what "bands" are you talking about? I also get seasick while snorkeling and can be a wet blanket on trips. Do you have a link with info? Thanks.
Old Aug 2nd, 2004, 04:45 PM

Seabands are these cloth bands, with either velcro or an adjustable clasp, about 3/4 inch wide that fit on your wrist. The key element is a smooth knob that they say works on an accupressure principle - it must be adjusted so it presses on a specific point on the wrist.

They are available in most large drugstores.

I have used them and did not get sick while wearing them. However, I suspect that if someone gave me virtually anything that I was convinced would work, I would not get sick - I readily admit that in addition to the inner ear concept of motion sickness, for me it is very much psychological - if I expect to get sick, I will and vice versa.
Old Aug 2nd, 2004, 10:04 PM

Re: motion sickness bands (sea-bands)
I bought mine at a major drug store. The set I have doesn't have clasps; it is one-size fits all, but does have a small, smooth plastic dot that presses on your tendon in a specific spot.

And when I took mine off (at Looe Key), I thought I was past the sea sickness, but felt sick in the water. The next time, I wore them in the water, and NO sea sickness. None at all.

Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 12:18 AM

I have no sea-legs at all and was fine on the Alcatraz Ferry. Upstairs in the fresh air is the better option by far though.
Either way, don't let anything stop you from visiting the place and make sure you do the audio tour!
Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 04:33 AM

Dear All,
Yes, LCDR is an O-4 commissioned officer in the Navy, Public Health Service and Coast Guard. Same as Army, AF and Marine Major.
MC is indeed medical corps (USN has many designators for officers - Line/Aviation - those have "stars" above their "blue suit gold rank stuff": Medical Corps has an "Oak leaf

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -