Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Alcatraz - can you really get there from here?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27th, 2000, 01:12 PM
Dianne Murray

Can someone tell me about the ferry/transportation required to get to Alcatraz Island? One person will be in a wheelchair and two others are elderly. How much walking is required? What are the prices? Is it worth it? How long does it take to tour it? Any help appreciated.

Old Dec 27th, 2000, 02:09 PM
Michele

Dianne,
The info I have may be a little out-dated, and some one else may be able to give you more updated info, but here goes:

I'm not sure, but I would imagine that the ferry to Alcatraz would accomodate some one in a wheelchair. The ferry is quite large, although not luxurious. If you go, go EARLY - the ferries book up fast, and only so many people can get across during any given day. Sorry, can't remember the cost.

The entire "Rock" is ALL walking, so if anyone in your party has difficulty with walking, or pushing a wheelchair, they are better off not going. When you land on Alcatraz, there is the main road that takes you up to the cell-house, and it is uphill. (although not a very steep incline, it may be difficult for one who is elderly and has difficulty walking)

Once you reach the cell-house, you're pretty much on your own. You can rent a tape player for few dollars and do a self-guided tour, or wander about and try to figure out what you are looking at. Many areas of Alcatraz cannot be visited - the buildings are either unsafe or were destroyed during demonstrations held on the island during the 60s and 70s. However, the cell-house is open, and you can view such things as the cell where Al Capone was housed, where the "Birdman of Alcatraz" was housed, where the guys who *may* have escaped from Alcatraz were housed (and how they could have done it - there was a movie made about it, "Escape from Alcatraz"), among other things - including some views of the city and the "yard".

I'm glad I went and really enjoyed myself, but I feel it's a "been there, done that once" sort of thing. Plus, my roommate at the time went with me, and she didn't enjoy it at all, so it comes down to personal preference.

The length of the tour is up to the individual(s). When you arrive at the island, you move at your own pace, so you can stay as long as you like. Alcatraz does not stay open after dark, so everyone must leave by the last ferry. (usually around 5:00pm) So, if you have folks in your group that are able to walk at a leisurely pace, and want to take it a little slowly, you can do that. I was in my late 20s, and I believe I stayed a good hour on Alcatraz. HINT: there is no food or water on Alcatraz, so if you plan on touring for a while, you might want to bring snacks and/or water with you. I don't think you can eat inside the cell-house, but you can eat outside.

As I said this info is a little dated, and somethings may have changed. Hopefully, some one who has been there recently can give you much better info.

Old Dec 27th, 2000, 06:38 PM
Paul Rabe

For up to date info, go to

www.nps.gov/alcatraz/welcome.html

Old Dec 27th, 2000, 07:50 PM
Anne

Hi Dianne
I visited Alcatraz in August and there were several wheelchair bound people on the ferry as well as a number of families with babies in strollers. My understanding is that people in wheelchairs reach the top of the hill via a chair lift of some sort. The caretakers however, must walk up the steep and winding path. There were a number of elderly people when I went. They and their families just took their time and stopped everynow and again to take in the view. There was no problem once inside because you have your taped tour and you go along at your own pace. I think the cost was about $22.00 and that included the taped tour. We booked about a week in advance and went over about 12.45pm. We didn't want to go later in case the fog came in and all the earlier tours were booked. I thoroughly enjoyed the visit. Hope you and your friends/family do too.

Regards

Anne in Australia

Old Dec 28th, 2000, 03:20 AM
Judy

The tour is great and well worth the time. Be sure to dress warmly as the trip across the bay is chilly. Tickets can be ordered on line for delivery by mail. The audio tour is surprisingly good- compelling and realistic. One of the National Park Service workers even volunteered to give us a private tour of the roof (which is normally off-limits) at sunset. It was awesome.

Old Dec 29th, 2000, 04:20 PM
Diane Moll

I have been fortunate to travel most of the US and a lot of Europe, but I must say my visit to Alcatraz was an experience I will never forget. My husband was on business at Berkley and I took off for the afternoon to Alcatraz. My only regret was that he was unable to join me and never got to see this national Park. It was cold and windy, but well worth the trip. The self-guided tape was very good, you really feel like you were part of the experience of years ago. When I look back at all my trips around the country/world this one event always comes to mind.