alcatraz and public transportation passes

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26th, 2009, 07:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be spending a romantic 3 day weekend in San fran with my partner on Sunday sept 6-8th. Any suggestions of great things to you..places to see....places to eat..etc. We are trying to remain on a budget of course. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

also...is alcatraz worth seeing? What about getting a 3 day travel pass for the transportation? i heard that might be a good way to go
Old Jul 26th, 2009, 10:13 AM

There are scads of detailed, excellent threads on this forum about San Francisco. I would especially trust anything poster StuDudley has had to say. A board search is a must.

I enjoyed Alcatraz, myself, and would recommend it.
Old Jul 26th, 2009, 12:16 PM

Would highly recommend Alcatraz and feel its a must for SF. Look into doing a night tour as that gets you more access to the island. I have been to the island twice and really enjoyed it.
Old Jul 27th, 2009, 02:56 PM

3 day muni pass is well worth the $$. A one way ride on cable car is $5, bus, trolley ride is $2.

Alcatracz is worth the time and money too. Try to book a night tour, it is better - you get to see parts not open during the day. Labor Day weekend is busy, better get reservations NOW!

Deb
Old Jul 27th, 2009, 05:43 PM

Perhaps you might want to define what is "romantic" because the hotel you have chosen is in an area of San Francisco that has the following statistics:

"8) There are roughly 6,000 homeless that pass through or stay in the Tenderloin every day.

10) The Tenderloin has the highest crime rate of any district in San Francisco. The annual crime rate has an average of 2 crimes per resident and 3 major crimes per hour."

http://sfcityacademy.com/index.php?nid=37257&s=au

"The officers of Tenderloin Station patrol an area with the highest concentration of parolees in the city"

http://www.sfgov.org/site/police_index.asp?id=19970

OTOH, Alcatraz Island is quite safe to visit. Try and get your tickets ahead of time as it is near impossible to get them on the day that you plan to visit Alcatraz.

The three-day transportation pass is well worth it.
Old Jul 27th, 2009, 08:54 PM

Is it really necessary to strike fear into first time visitors (?) to the wonderful city of San Francisco?

Please.

thereyet
Old Jul 27th, 2009, 09:16 PM

Not at all. Just giving the OP my opinion that the Tenderloin doesn't exactly fit his description of "romantic".

How sweet of you to take time during work hours and using your employer's computer to come and comment on this thread. You really shouldn't have!
Old Jul 27th, 2009, 09:26 PM

Work hours? Have you taken a look outside?

thereyet
Old Jul 27th, 2009, 09:42 PM

LOL, clifbob, I would personally ignore the negative poster regarding your lodging choice at the Monaco. That poster's thinking as you probably have noticed is quite in the minority.

I have never taken the night time tour of Alcatraz, just the day time tour but many who have taken the night time tour are so pleased they did. I agree, do make your reservations ASAP.

If for some reason you don't tour Alcatraz you two might enjoy taking the ferry to Sausalito, enjoy lunch there and look around and take the ferry back to San Francisco.

I believe on another thread of yours that it was suggested that you type Stu Dudley's name into the search box. That is a good idea as his thread will give you a wealth of information. Some of us refer to him as our "Mr. San Francisco". Best regards.
Old Jul 27th, 2009, 10:27 PM

Stu Dudley gives good advice. Hope he updates his list from time to time.

OTOH, posters who send innocent visitors to the area of a city with the highest crime rate for a romantic weekend - well, it kind of speaks for itself.

You don't have to believe any one of us here on Fodors but can do some research yourself on the internet. Here's one source, see how often the Tenderloin is mentioned as an area to avoid, especially after dark. Romantic? Hardly.

http://www.virtualtourist.com/travel...id-BR-1.html#5
Old Jul 28th, 2009, 04:16 AM

easytraveler, for about the 10th time (on two threads), talking about "what the Tenderloin is" has almost nothing to do with someone staying at the above mentioned Monaco. But you know that don't you? I guess you also tell people that under no circumstances should they attend theatre in that area. Going to Wicked is like taking your life in your hands. Visiting the ACT is like a trip to murderer's row? Give me a break. There are MAJOR tourist attractions within the Tenderloin, and unless someone had been scared silly by the rantings of a fanatic, they'd go, enjoy, and never know they had visited such a "dangerous" and "horrible" place. For that matter, by your definition, even the San Francisco Opera and the Philharmonic are right across the street from that DANGEROUS Tenderloin area. Do you seek out posts and warn people that under no circumstances should they attend any of those things, particularly the major theatre events which are right IN the Tenderloin?
Old Jul 28th, 2009, 04:36 AM

Oh, you might also read the link that you yourself posted. When you actually READ the posts, you'll find that most of them clearly exclude the actual area of the Monaco from any discussion about the "seediness" of the area. And most of the posts simply say to be aware and use the usual caution and alertness as in any city, even in the seedier areas of the Tenderloin, which once again does NOT include the location of the Monaco. I'm honestly trying to figure out what your agenda is here. Especially posting your rant again on a thread that wasn't even about that issue.
Old Jul 28th, 2009, 06:03 AM

Is there a need to cross contaminate threads? The other one was cleaned up, to leave info for OP to consider. This thread was about a different subject, yet it turns to a repeat drone about other thread. Really, give it a rest and let this person ask his questions and get answers that pertain to the matter at hand.

I am really disappointed that people can't ask questions here and get info they seek on the subject the are asking about.

Deb
Old Jul 28th, 2009, 10:27 AM

And I'm disappointed that I'm not allowed to have a separate opinion from other "experts" on San Francisco, especially those who rarely travel here or have been here only once or twice in the last year.

At every turn I have linked to other sites to back up what I've said. None of the rest of you have done that. It's because the Tenderloin IS the area with the highest crime rate and you can't prove otherwise. It's also because the Monaco is physically within the Tenderloin and you can't prove otherwise.

Neopatrick: stop putting words in my mouth and giving out false impressions. On the other thread, I said specifically that the SF theater district is located within the Tenderloin and that there are many small hotels that have been revamped to cater mainly to the theater crowd. I've also said that the Tenderloin is ethnically the most diverse and that this fact along with the theater district being there makes for good choices in dining. I never said any of the junk that you implied in your post.

What I DID say is that I don't consider the Tenderloin an especially good choice for visitors with children nor for the OP who is seeking a "romantic" weekend. What I DID say was that the choice is entirely up to the OP, but that he should know which area of town his hotel is in. I don't know his tastes, he may love being in a sketchy area and gets a big jolt out of it. What choice hotel is not mine to make, it's his.

Are you saying that there aren't better locations in SF for OP's romantic weekend than the Tenderloin? Then you have a really bizarre interpretation of "romantic".

You know, if I were ever to come to Florida where you live, Neopatrick, or to Colorado, where you live, DebitN, I'd expect to get good travel information from you.

But, maybe not, since you won't want to tell me which are the crime-ridden areas to help me make a good decision.
Old Jul 28th, 2009, 10:52 AM

>>

I repeat (for the third time, I think), I DO live and work here and have done so since 1973. Whether or not the Monaco is technically in the Tenderloin, it is NOT in a sketchy area AT ALL.
Old Jul 28th, 2009, 10:59 AM

I have been to Alcatraz and am taking my 16 year old stepdaughter there - I really enjoyed it as well and recommend it. Very interesting.

I have been advised that the 3 day muni pass is well worth it. I will get one.

I am going a few weeks before you and am happy to report back. There is a great recent trip report by lowcountry islander - good read.
Old Jul 28th, 2009, 11:00 AM

Hello clifbob, here are some very current reviews of the Monaco by guests that have recently stayed there. Just scroll down the page for the Monaco. Best regards.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g6...ia-Hotels.html
Old Jul 28th, 2009, 11:38 AM

ClifBob, I apologize on behalf of all of us who live in SF, love the city, and/or visit it often. Obviosly one of the posters who does not live here can only trash it.

Alcatraz is part of the country's history. Yes, worth seeing.

When you buy a 3-day pass also buy a MUNI map - this is the best map with all bus routes in different colors. Something in the area of $3.

If you want something romantic, take a ferry boat to Sausalito - it's a picturesque village north of the city.

http://goldengateferry.org/schedules/Sausalito.php
Old Jul 28th, 2009, 11:50 AM

wow...lurker who finally joined to defend my beloved city of San Francisco.

Monaco is a great hotel (we've stayed there several times for nights away in the city) and it is in a perfectly safe area (as multiple other people have said)
Old Jul 28th, 2009, 12:24 PM

Pretty soon, SF7307 and the others will say that the Tenderloin is the MOST romantic neighborhood of San Francisco and keep urging the OP to stay at the Monaco.

sf7307: did you know that I dropped starrs off at the Monaco one day? I still say it's a sketchy neighborhood.

Dayenu: I know just how you feel. Sorry about "trashing" your neighborhood. BTW: you've broadstroked to an absurd degree, I'm not "trashing" all of SF, which I love. But if pointing out its warts is trashing it, then so be it.

The only SF neighborhood that's worse than the Tenderloin is Bayview-Hunter's Point, but still the Tenderloin comes in as having a higher crime rate. Betcha all of you lovers of the Tenderloin avoid Bayview-Hunter's Point like the plague.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -