Albuquerque suggestions

Old Jan 23rd, 2018, 02:07 PM
Original Poster

Albuquerque suggestions

My wife and I are planning a New Mexico vacation this fall. We have already booked our flight from Columbia, SC, to Albuquerque for Sept.18, returning on Sept. 27. I had thought to spend the first night in ABQ before heading to Santa Fe for five nights, and then to Taos for three more nights before heading home.
We are big fans of the TV series Breaking Bad and its sequel, Better Call Saul, both of which are set largely in Albuquerque, and we are looking forward to visiting some of the sites from the stories. While we could do a self-driving tour, a guided tour would be more fun. There is an RV tour that looks great but it's not offered either the day we arrive or the next day; we would have to stay over in Albuquerque a second night. There is one other company doing a Breaking Bad tour (ABQ Trolley) , but it appears that those are offered only once a month or so.
So my question is, if we were to spend an extra day in Albuquerque in order to catch the RV tour, what are some interesting things we could do there?
Old Jan 24th, 2018, 05:02 AM

Haven't been, but have done some research. Here are some possibilities:

Albuquerque Museum of Art and History
Albuquerque International Rattlesnake Museum
New Mexico Museum of Natural History and Science
Turquoise Museum
Indian Pueblo Cultural Center
University of New Mexico (Maxwell Museum of Anthropology, Jonson Gallery, University of New Mexico Art Museum, Geology Museum, Meteorite Museum)
Balloon Museum
National Atomic Museum.

You could likely see all this with three days. Not sure where your specific interests lie.
Old Jan 24th, 2018, 09:02 AM

Definitely the nuke museum, referred to as the "National Atomic Museum" above. It's real name is the National Museum of Nuclear Science and History.
Old Jan 24th, 2018, 09:02 AM

Any interest in going up the tramway up Sandia Peak? Out to the west of the city, there is a park with alot of petroglyphs. The annual balloon festival is in October but the hotel prices go up for that.