Going for a run in Las Vegas

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4th, 2011, 06:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Never been to Las Vegas...Can I go for an early morning run there? Where would I go? Is it safe? Thanks!!!
Old Nov 4th, 2011, 05:30 PM

Are you staying on the strip? If so, the answer for safety is yes. Unfortunately, the way the strip's designed it's not easy to run (lots of stairs, stop lights, and people). If you run from the strip towards the Rio Or Hilton you'll get away from most of these issues. However, early in the morning be careful of your surroundings when you venture away from the strip.
Old Nov 4th, 2011, 05:39 PM

I ran on the strip and just managed to deal with the detours. I felt completely safe in the mornings but i did not go away from the strip - I would not do this. Does the hotel you are staying at not have a gym. I had a great run on the treadmills at the Venetian.
Old Nov 4th, 2011, 05:47 PM

I also did a race (Running from an Angel) out near Lake Mead and if you want to get a long run in that area has rolling gentle hills and great vistas that are great!! I don't know how safe it is when there is not a race going on. The club is
http://calicoracing.squarespace.com/welcome/
they are a great group and could probably give you lots of suggestions.
Old Nov 6th, 2011, 06:36 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everybody. We're staying at the Venetian, but I really hate treadmills, lol. I'll bring my sneaks and see how it looks.
Old Nov 6th, 2011, 10:16 AM

I would check out their workout facilities. It might prove to be over the top and be just enough different that you might actually enjoy it during your stay.
Old Nov 6th, 2011, 12:14 PM

Have done the Las Vegas marathon there

One of the fastest in the world all downhill

and almost always a tailwind...

Runnersworld.com for specifics but strip works fine for me

gets a little dodgy in toward town after the Strat though...
Old Nov 6th, 2011, 12:18 PM

The marathon begin/end is on the strip begins at Mandalay Bay

5.5 miles right on the strip so that is what I did.

I was at the Venetian when I was there just jogged down

that way and back worked great...
Old Nov 17th, 2011, 11:37 PM

There are few places to run on the Strip. Too much traffic, long lights and escalators. And don't go beyond Koval Ln east of the Strip as it can be a seedy area.

A run south down the Strip (Las Vegas Blvd) to Town Square outdoor mall would be good if you are staying in the area of Mandalay Bay.

If you can get off the strip there are great places for scenic enjoyable and safe runs. Red Rock Loop, Railroad Tunnels trail http://www.localhikes.com/Hikes/Rail...Trail_4120.asp

Good info at Las vegas Track Club. Nice people ranging from beginners to veteran runners that meet regularly all over town for group runs. They are casual friendly runners who welcome newcomers. http://www.lvtc.org/

If you like to trail run check out Desert Dash who I run with regularly. Great people on group trail runs in scening desert hills surrounding the valley. Runs are no drop so no one is left behind. http://www.desertdash.com/Group_Runs.html
Old Jan 16th, 2012, 01:05 PM
Original Poster

From the Venetian, can I run down Spring Mtn Rd/Sands Ave or E. Flamingo Rd?

Thanks again!
Old Jan 19th, 2012, 06:33 PM

You can run east on Sands to Paradise but I wouldn't go further than Paradise because its a sketchy area between Paradise and Maryland Pkwy from Desert Inn to Flamingo. On Paradise go south to Flamingo or Tropicana then back to the Strip, or go North on Paradise to Sahara then west to the Strip.
Old Jan 23rd, 2012, 07:24 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Toucan!

I ended up running the strip in both directions and that's all. I got lost more than once when I came down the walkways and went the wrong way. lol. The stairs were tough in the southern direction.

I also came VERY close to getting hit by a cab that was turning right on red out of a hotel road. I thought he saw me, he stopped, and then just when I headed out he started going. I stuck out my arm (like I could stop the car lol) and my hand hit his hood just as he screeched to a stop. That's the closest I've come to getting run down.

There were lots of joggers on the strip that early in the morning. I really enjoyed it; saw things from a different perspective for sure.