Search

Alaska scent

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8th, 2004, 08:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alaska scent

My wife and I just spent 2 weeks in Alaska (half land on our own, half cruise with Princess) and we noticed that the entire state has this really pleasant scent.

Most Alaskan's we asked didn't seem to notice ... which makes sense, I guess, if you live there (and yes, we had to make sure we had a few drinks before we had the nerve to go up to strangers to ask, "What's that smell?")

Anyone else notice the nice "fragrance" of Alaska? What is it, and where can I get some to bring back to Boston?
Old Jun 9th, 2004, 04:00 AM

I'll check it out when we get there next week but I don't recall anything extra special. You may have smelled something as ordinary as trees and dirt/fresh air. Years ago when we were debating best places to live, people from Kansas said New England was too hilly for their tastes. Someone else said that some visiting children didn't like the ocean beach because "it stunk". I think Spring smells different than winter. You made an interesting observation.
Old Jun 17th, 2004, 03:31 PM

I know exactly what you're talking about! We noticed it, too. The first place we smelled it was while taking pictures by the Denali Nat'l Park entrance. It kind of reminds me of juniper and flowers, only we didn't see any juniper. It was great!
Old Jun 17th, 2004, 03:40 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
It might be willow or fireweed - both ubiquitous native shrubs all over the state. Standard "springtime" smell.

(I love the British name for fireweed - rose bay willow herb.)
Old Jun 18th, 2004, 11:42 AM

We noticed it too; however, I don't think it was truly a scent. I think it was REAL FRESH AIR...the real thing. Something, we who live in big cities, don't know about or remember.

We noticed it when we arrived in Fairbanks. It was wonderful. If there's something you can buy to duplicate it...LET ME KNOW.
Old Jun 18th, 2004, 12:06 PM
jor

If they could bottle that scent it would be the biggest tourist souvenier in Alaska. I'm gettin high just thinking about having it in my house.
Old Jul 7th, 2004, 03:00 PM

During our visit 6/16 to 7/6, Cow Parsnip was blooming in huge patches along the roads. These big white umbrels are definitely a source of a floral fragrance. Lilacs were also in bloom and the scent came in our window at the Alaska Garden Gate B&B in Palmer. All in all, however, air smells different at different times and how the wind is blowing. I think you just smelled clean fresh air.