Search

Alaska must sees?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2nd, 2010, 07:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alaska must sees?

There will be 4 of us adults (in our late 20's) going to Alaska in July 2011. We plan to rent a mid-size suv and camp the entire time. We haven't decided how long the trip is going to be, but it will be somewhere between 7-10 days. None of us have ever been to Alaska or know what spots there are to see. Can you please help us plan our trip by letting us know what are the must see spots.
Old Jul 2nd, 2010, 08:33 AM

beckylj22,
Please don't take this the wrong way, but you need to do some very basic research first. Alaska is twice the size of Texas and generally as expensive as Hawaii during the summer (which is high season).

"None of us have ever been to Alaska or know what spots there are to see." You need to first decide what your budget is and exactly how many days you want to spend there. This will determine how far you can travel (and what you can see in the given time). In 7-10 days, you can go south to Seward and the Kenai Peninsula or you can go north to Talkeetna and Denali NP - probably not both, even in 10 days. I suspect that all of S.E. Alaska will be out.

I would also suggest you start gathering some free literature from the state of Alaska and maybe peruse travel books on Alaska at your public library. Then when you find a book that fits your particular style of traveling, buy a copy at your local bookstore and study it in detail. The Milepost http://milepost.com is also an excellent reference.

This forum can be of most help in providing specific answers and suggestions, but only you and your friends can decide where to go and how much money you want to spend.

Old Jul 2nd, 2010, 09:15 AM
Original Poster

I think we are planning on south central (Anchorage, Kenai Peninsula, etc). We would also like to Katmai National Park if we can take a boat from somewhere and camp there for a couple of days.
Old Jul 2nd, 2010, 09:23 AM
Original Poster

We haven't set a budget yet, but we are camping and cooking our own food to save money for the activities. Also, we are planning the vacation a year in advance so we can save up for all of the stuff we want to do.
Old Jul 2nd, 2010, 10:29 AM
Original Poster

Would it be better to do a flight tour of Denali instead of taking the bus?
Old Jul 2nd, 2010, 12:21 PM

"Would it be better to do a flight tour of Denali instead of taking the bus?"

IMO, the bus would be far better. Only by bus would you have an opportunity to see and photograph wildlife. Others may disagree, however.

South central Alaska sounds doable in this amount of time. However I don't know anything about available campgrounds and reservation procedures. How far in advance must reservations be made?

Old Jul 2nd, 2010, 05:13 PM

> We plan to rent a mid-size suv

Since you will be driving, it will be necessary (and sufficient) to buy the latest copy of _The Milepost_ in order to know where to stop for what things. In Alaska, the next gas station can be fifty kilometers down the road!

As noted above, only your group can decide what would interest you, and then only after you peruse some books on Alaska travel at your local library.