Alaska itinerary and packing advice requested

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 22nd, 2010, 02:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I will be in Anchorage, Alaska from May 30 to June 9 celebrating our 20th anniversary. We'll be staying at the Anchorage Grand Hotel. We are doing two main activities. We booked with Alaska Tour & Travel for a bus/rail trip to the Grande Denali Lodge, where we will stay for 3 mights. On Wed., June 2 we'll be taking a Denali Tundra Wilderness Tour that will last from 6 to 8 hours, leaving between 5:30 and 7:30 a.m. On Friday, June 4 we will take the McKinley Explorer Rail from Denali back to Anchorage. The second main activity is through Rust's Flying Service on Tuesday, June 8. We'll be taking a float plane for a 6-hour Redoubt Bay Bear viewing. We both have health problems. My wife is on a cane, and I have chronic back pain, among other health issues, so we regard this as a very ambitious agenda.
Any packing tips or any other advice or comments regarding our trip plans would be greatly appreciated!
Old May 23rd, 2010, 07:17 AM

Plan for variable weather - it could be warm and sunny or chilly and wet. Bring clothing so you can dress in layers. If the bear viewing requires much walking, you ought to have water resistant shoes/boots also. I also would not forget a pair of warm mittens/gloves and a warm hat. You may not need them but you'll be grateful for having them if you do.

I have never been in the Denali area that early in the year but I would consult some one more knowledgeanble about the need for mosquito repellant. I have the impression that's the time of year for them.

I hope you enjoy your Alaskan trip as much as I do.
Old May 23rd, 2010, 08:54 AM

Sarge, Congratulations! Alaska is a beautiful place to celebrate your anniversary. I'd be sure to pack binoculars, the telephoto lens for your camera if you have one and light rain gear. I've seen tourists reduced to wearing trash bags because they forgot their water repellent jackets or ponchos.
We enjoyed the sled dog demonstrations at Denali as well as the film on the park's history. I don't know what kind of vehicle your Denali tour will provide, but ours would not have been a good choice for someone with chronic back pain as it was not very comfortable for such a long tour. You might want to look at a shorter tour or be sure that you provide for your back comfort.
Have a wonderful trip and give us a report when you come home!
Old May 26th, 2010, 10:07 PM

What kind of plane are you going to be riding in? Some bush planes are like a closet, you could be cramped and you could be doing a lot of leaning depending on the size of their windows. You're going to want to take some codine or something for your back unless you're going out in a luxury mini jet. What does the Denali Tundra Wilderness Tour include? Backpacking, Rafting, ATV tours? Depending on what type of adventure I might have concern about your wifes walking or your back. Where are you starting from? Acclimatinon might be rough, the temps you might experience be between 20 something and 90 something.

All in all I would say bring warm and cold temp clothes and asprin of some sort. You're going to have a great time, Alaska is beautiful, there's a lot to take in so remember to relax.
Old May 26th, 2010, 10:10 PM

Sorry it's not all bush planes are going to leave you leaning and cramped, but I got a sore back and even in my friends comfy BushHawkXP I start getting a lil sore after a few hours. So what I was getting at is your back could be kiling you afterwards or just a lil sore.
Old May 27th, 2010, 10:32 AM

Sarge,
We have been to Anchorage and Denali and loved Alaska during early June. We did have intense mosquito activity around Denali--bring DEET.
We also needed sun screen and raincoats.
I take eye shades along because I have trouble sleeping if the room does not have blackout curtains.

I assume you have spoken in person to the tour company about the Denali tour to ensure you can endure the ride? We rode the NPS school bus and it was really rough--hours on a potholed gravel road. The tour company may use the same or a slightly better bus, but they can't do anything about the road. Can your back stand it?

I also assume you have talked to Rust's about your mobility issues? Can you both easily climb up into/out of a small plane, scoot back and forth among the seats, etc.? It is better for them to know of any problems in advance and plan accordingly.

It's been several years now, but we really enjoyed the outdoor salmon bake across the highway from the hotel development.
Old May 27th, 2010, 10:41 AM

Forgot to add some of the places we enjoyed:
Eklutna Cemetery
Alaska Native Heritage Center (some people think too touristy, but we enjoyed)
Taheta Arts & Crafts
gift shop in the Alaska Native Medical Center
Old May 27th, 2010, 03:15 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much! I think we need to have a talk with Rust's about our disabilities.
Old Jun 6th, 2010, 07:50 PM

Definitely give Rust's a call. The seaplanes are six seaters out to the Wilderness Lodge. It's a short flight, but the seats aren't cushy and are small. The plane can get stuffy. At the Lodge, you take a pontoon boat out for bear viewing, and it's got plenty of room to stretch out. We highly recommend Rust's for great, friendly people and a great experience. I'm sure they can work with you. Weather-wise, I don't know. Last year, we were shocked to find it was hot! We brought jeans and had to buy shorts at Walmart!

This year, we're trying Juneau the end of this month. It looks to be cooler. Log into Weather Underground and watch the ten day forecast. That'll help you pack. Enjoy!