Alaska in February

Feb 4th, 2006, 04:41 AM
Original Poster

Alaska in February

Any suggestions for things to do/see in or near Anchorage in February.
Feb 4th, 2006, 04:58 AM

If you can change the date you have much better weather and daylight going in March. PLUS if you can get to Fairbanks, the Ice Sculpting Championships. www.icealaska.com

Northern Lights are a big priority for me, but you have to get out of Anchorage. Snowmobiling is good, if they have any snow?? I've gone out of Girdwood. I've done dog sledding, plenty of operators north in the Wasilla/Talkeetna area. Request their visitor guide www.anchorage.net
Feb 4th, 2006, 06:25 AM

The Fur Rondy starts Feb. 17. Plenty to do then.

http://www.furrondy.net/
Feb 4th, 2006, 07:01 AM

I've gone to Alaska twice - both in winter. I was in Anchorage and Fairbanks in Feb. Anchorage itself is wonderful. They're gearing up for the Iditarod and there is general excitement in the air - www.iditarod.com

We went up to Talkeetna and took a flightplane to Denali. I just checked and there's a weekend winter special on the railroad - you can go up to Talkeetna on Sat. and return to Anchorage on Sun. I'm going back to Talkeetna in July some year to hit the Moose Dropping Festival!

http://www.talkeetnachamber.org/cale...04a719c1f05769
http://www.akrr.com/arrc18.html

I LOVED Alaska in Feb. Enjoy!
Feb 4th, 2006, 07:32 AM

Any now it's time for some non-Alaskan visitor (probably the same one who is looking for a place to convert U.S. dollars to Alaskan) to ask ...

How high do they drop the moose from????
Feb 4th, 2006, 08:22 AM

Ya toss the droppings, not drop the moose!

Starting in Feb, you can also buy your ticket for the Nenana Ice Classic. Last year's jackpot was $285K. You predict the exact moment the ice will break on the Tanana river -
http://nenanaakiceclassic.com/Organization.htm

Feb 4th, 2006, 06:31 PM

Thanks for spoiling the punchline, Starrsville . . . I said some tourist might ask that. It sure wasn't me!
Feb 4th, 2006, 06:59 PM
KMK

FYI, we do have plenty of snow right now in Anchorage. The skiing is great (cross-country & downhill) if that interests you. I know you can rent cross-country skis in town at lots of the local sports/ski gear places - you can then ski the Coastal Trail or Kincaid Park, Hillside Trails, or just about any of the greenbelt trails. Don't know what the temperatures will be, though, we just got out of a nasty single-digit & below cold spell that kept me inside. It's better now

The big downhill ski resort south of town (Alyeska) also has snowtubing & still has the scenic tram rides, even with the skiers going up. Cross-country ski trails are there as well. www.alyeskaresort.com

If you want to stay inside where it's warm, try the Native Heritage Museum or the Anchorage Museum of Art & History.

I haven't tried snowmobiling myself, but I think that suggestion is also very good.
Feb 5th, 2006, 07:19 AM

Call it snowmobiling, BTW, and they'll know you're a tourist or at least a cheechako.
Feb 5th, 2006, 08:12 AM
KMK

LOL, I'm still a cheechako, I mess that up all the time!!!!