alaska family style?

Search

alaska family style?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4th, 2004, 03:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
alaska family style?

Hi out there! My family and I are planing a big trip to Alaska this July. We will be taking a 7 night cruise Anchorage to Vancouver. I would apprieciate help on what to do with the 7 nights my family and I will have in Alaska before the cruise. Should we rent a car and take ourselves around sightseeing or would you recommend a land tour or railroad tour? What excursions are best. All suggestions most apprieciated! Ages 40, 72, 11,and 9 years!!! Thanks so much! My mom 72, may forgo some excursions.
Old Feb 4th, 2004, 04:44 PM

Get to the bookstore. Do search here under Alaska, then ask specific questions. Buy Milepost.
Old Feb 5th, 2004, 07:04 AM

With kids, you are far better off going on your own. Rigid scheduled travel with long transit times aren't easy on anyone. You can clearly see twice as much for 1/2 the cost going on your own. IF you are coming into Seward (Princess and Carnival are using Whittier), I recommend taking a Kenai Fjord boat tour before/after your cruise then take the railroad between Seward and Anchorage- this is by far the most scenic portion. Car rentals are plenty round trip out of Anchorage. Use the cruisetours as a guide- and narrow down your interests. Head to your library and take out all the Alaska travel books including THE MILEPOST. Have a group meeting and make your choices. Repost for more information.
Old Feb 8th, 2004, 09:34 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Mama and Budget Queen. I have Fodor's Alaska guide and have ordered Milepost. I am anxiously awaiting Milepost's arrival! We know that we are definately taking a 7 night Princess cruise out of Anchorage. I am unsure whether to just buy the 4 night land tour Princess offers, (it doesn't really do what we want to do, or stay put in spots as long as we'd like to stay)or try to organize our own land tour. I am a bit overwhelmed with all the places to visit and activities offered. Everything sounds interesting and great. If you could tell me what you think are "not to be missed" Alaska sights, that would help a great deal. I will try to narrow down our interests and then definarely repost for your help. Thanks again, Kristina
Old Feb 9th, 2004, 06:25 AM

If you just ordered a NEW MILEPOST- immediately contact the vender and HOLD OFF ON THE ORDER UNTIL after 3-1-04. So to have the 2004 copy and not the 2003 edition. You may have purchased this but do verify this if you aren't certain. My opinion only- don't bother with a 4 day cruisetour- just not enough time for anything except long bus rides. I recommend a 7 day add on to allow times at the destination. SO what do you like and dislike about the cruisetour? Expand upon that. A lot of people have a priority of Denali Park (rightfully so ) If so with you- see if you can do that??? A 4 day would be to head to Denali park you cruise disembarkment day- allow for plenty of stops- 7 hours++ from Whittier. Have your transfer have an airport drop off, pick up your car and head out. Consider a B&B. day 2 have reservations for the SHUTTLE to Eielson- first shuttle is my preference- 0530 or so. I stay at THe Touch of Wilderness B&B - they will bag a breakfast for you and you can purchase a lunch too. OR be cheap like me and stop in Wasilla on the way up at Walmart or Fred Meyer and pick up some bread and peanut butter and jelly. Bring a plastic knife from home. No spoilage, filling and eat any time. You will be out of the park by 3pm, just in time for the 4pm dog sled demo. Consider a second night in the area- plenty of activities at the park- look at their schedules. day 3 slow drive to Talkeetna- consider a summit flight overnight. Early am departure to allow some sightseeing of Anchorage or if on an overnight flight- perhaps glacier Trekking with MICA?? Then a 2 hour return to Anchorage. This is JUST a suggestion- but workable routing- fine tune to your interests!!!
Old Feb 13th, 2004, 05:45 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Budget Queen for all your suggestions. I have called the book store and ordered the 2004 Milepost. Once I get it I'll know more about the wonderful ideas that you are describing to me. I'll research on the internet while I wait for the Milepost & then post here again. Thanks for your help! Kristina
Old Feb 13th, 2004, 08:22 PM

Definitely rent a car yourself, it's easy to do and will give you more flexibility than a bus or railroad tour package. Try Alaska Tour and Travel (not sure of the website but you can google it and they have ads in the Milepost) for help in designing a custom itinerary. I agree that the Kenai Fjords tour from Seward is wonderful but maybe not as necessary if you're doing a cruise. We loved Talkeetna and the highlight of our 12 day trip last summer was a flight over Mt. McKinley with K2 Aviation, definitely NOT to be missed! Stay at the Talkeetna Lodge. Also a visit to Jeff's King's Homestead Husky Kennels in Denali, and the Alaskan Heritage Museum in Anchorage.
Old Feb 14th, 2004, 12:02 AM

For clairfication- a cruise is no comparism to the Kenai Fjords boat tours. You will never see wildlife as close or in the numbers from a cruise ship. You also get a far closer glacier view- if of interest. This is an excellent opportunity for varied wildlife viewing.
Old Feb 14th, 2004, 03:22 PM
duh

Which kenai fjords park cruise do you suggest. It sounds like the longest one is the best.Who does this?

Old Feb 14th, 2004, 09:42 PM

I have gone with Major Marine and Kenai Fjords. You need at least 6 hours on the water. Kenai fjord has an all day Northwestern fjords tour- worthwhile if you have the time, but it leaves around 9am so you need an overnight there. If prone to seasickness- TAKE PRECAUTIONS, I have seen sick passengers on every trip.
Old Feb 15th, 2004, 04:58 AM
duh

thank you ,it was the nortwest one I had read about.

Old Feb 16th, 2004, 04:27 PM
Original Poster

Ok thanks to all your suggestions and and the info posted here I have booked 2 nights at Denali Princess Lodge and 1 night at Mckinley Princess Lodge (good thing I did it quickly because lodges are almost full...yikes!). At the parks we will take ranger tours and dog sled demo etc. Also would love to take a flight over Mt. McKinley's summit and do an overnight in Talkeetna; (any sugesstions of where to stay in Talkeetna would be most apprieciated). We plan to do the exit tour and Kenai Fjords tour from Seward with overnight in Seward; (suggestions on where to stay are most welcome). I have a good idea of what to do in Anchorage. Does anyone know where a good place/outfitter for begginer whitewater rafting might be, or should I look at the parks for this activity? Also do you think that it is worth it for me to purchase the "Great Alaskan Tour Saver"?

Did I miss anything wonderful that is a "must do" in Alaska???? Thanks again for all your help! Kristina
Old Feb 17th, 2004, 05:12 AM

If you are going independently, the Denali Princess is an over priced so so property in my opinion, there are better options especially the B&B's. The "top" property in Talkeetna is the Talkeetna Alaska lodge, but again plenty of great B&B's. At Denali Park with 2 days there I would do more than "ranger" tours- see the park at least to Eielson via a shuttle bus. There is a range of rafting on the Nenana- from float to white water.