Reload this Page >

Alaska - Drive from Seattle or Vancouver

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7th, 2000, 06:10 AM
steve

We wish to visit Alaska in June of 2001. We are debating whether to fly into Anchorage and travel the state by car or fly into Seattle or Vancouver and working our way north. We would probably prefer the Vancouver option. Has anyone taken this journey that could share some thoughts with us. We definitely don't mind a lot of driving.

thanks......

Old Dec 7th, 2000, 12:59 PM
John

Steve, a couple of considerations:
1. You'll have a very hard time renting a car in Seattle or Vancouver for a one-way trip if that's what you have in mind. Otherwise, plan on driving both ways, around 3-4 days each way minimum (that's just to the Alaska State line, not farther in.) Seattle vs. Vancouver as a starting point doesn't make a lot of difference - Seattle is actually a shorter drive to Alaska by a couple of hours because you travel east a lesser distance before heading north.
2. The interior route through BC and the Yukon is way less scenic than the ferry trip up the inside passage. However, schlepping a car on the ferry is very expensive, and going as a foot passenger on the boat leaves you on the shore in Skagway or Haines with no transport save air up to Anchorage and the rest of the State.
3. My resulting suggestion is either to drive both ways, or (preferably) fly into Anchorage and get a car there, and spend your time visiting all the areas car-accessible in the central part of the State. Believe me, there will still be plenty of road miles to rack up, and plenty of wonderful sights to see.

Old Dec 7th, 2000, 03:42 PM
Leslie

I live in Seattle. I am originally from the Midwest and my husband is from Fairbanks. My parents (who still live in Ohio) wanted to drive up to Alaska and sightsee for a few days...not understanding how HUGE a state Alaska is and how far away it really was from here. My husband thinks its best to see Alaska by cruise line...because you get a sense of the place and can see more towns and scenery instead of bouncing around on not so good of roads in the back country. Its a lot like Europe...from a friend of mine who has driven in Alaska on a similar adventure you are thinking about...it always takes you much longer than you think it will regardless of what the map says.

Old Dec 7th, 2000, 11:19 PM
Durango98

DEFINATELY take a cruise out of Vancouver to Alaska. You can take a cruise and get off in Alaska and explore.....and/or you can take a return cruise....and then explore Vancouver Island (Tofino!), Whistler, Shuswap Lake(about 5 hours from Vancouver) or the Okanagan (Penticton,Peachland, etc.) I live in Vancouver and many people swear by the cruise ! Good Luck !

Old Mar 29th, 2001, 12:37 PM
Vern

Steve: We are taking a one way cruise northbound from Vancouver in June - 7 days with day stops in Juneau, Ketchikan, Sitka, Skagway and Seward. I've travelled the Inside Passage before and it is magnificent. The cruise will allow you to see this and make stops as well. When you get off in Seward, cruise line will bus you the 2+ hours to Anchorage where you can rent a car and explore on your own. Then, take a few days to drive to Denali about 250 miles north and to Fairbanks, another 150 miles. When you return to Anchorage, the Kenai peninsula will be different yet from what you saw on the cruise or inland.

It is not possible to appreciate the size and beauty of Alaska on a driving only trip, or a trip with limited time. It is just too big. When Texans brag about how big Texas is, Alaskans threaten to cut Alaska in two and make Texas the 3rd biggest state.

Good Luck!