Alaska cruise-where do I begin?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1st, 2004, 10:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband's dream has been to visit glacier bay on a cruise to Alaska. What city should we fly into and what cruise line would you recommend? Is there a land tour that we should also take? What are the "musts?" We enjoy outdoors, photography, good food, in our late 40's with pre-teenage son and daughter. Should we take our kids for the Alaska experience?
Old Feb 2nd, 2004, 02:44 AM

Start with a search on this forum about everything Alaska. Compare cruise itineraries with an actual map of the state. Relatives are taking a budget cruise which only makes 3 stops on the Inside Passage. I think they might be disappointed. We went up the Inside Passage on the Alaska Marine Ferry ending in Skagway and did not see any icebergs or calving glaciers and very little wildlife. It was a great experience. This summer we will fly into Anchorage, take the spectacular drive south to Seward/Homer and take a day cruise to see wildlife and glaciers. I think a vacation like this should be shared with your children.
Old Feb 2nd, 2004, 05:50 AM

I did an inside passage 7-day cruise out of Vancouver and enjoyed it very much. Great wild life spotting from a small boat in Sitka; we "did" Hubbard Glacier and it was really cool. I plan to go to Alaska again, but will do a 7-day cruise that ends in Anchorage and then continue on for about 4-5 days on a land tour up north. I went on Princess and would not hesitate to do that again. It was a lovely cruise. I think your kids would enjoy it, although there weren't that many kids on board. (it was too cold for the swimming pool/sunning on a beach chair most of the time!)
Old Feb 2nd, 2004, 05:58 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Go visit the Alaska forum (under "ports of call") on the boards at www.cruisecritic.com

There are a bazillion cruise options to Alaska, a few of which stop at Glacier Bay, or there are mini-tours on smaller craft to Glacier Bay from towns in SE Alaska that you could visit without cruising, or there are (many) other tidewater glaciers that can be viewed from ships or ferries in other parts of the state. Be prepared to become bewildered by the choices. (If you have a good idea of budget or time availability before you start that will help.)

Yes by all means take the kids.
Old Feb 2nd, 2004, 08:27 AM

If you decide not to take the kids, you should consider Intrav's Yorktown Clipper's 12 day repositioning cruise in May or September. It's a small, 138 passenger ship with two full time naturalists, wonderful food, and an older well-traveled clientele. If you decide to take the kids, you should select a large ship for all of its activities as preteens often get easily bored with scenery. Whatever you decide, please do a small cruise ship trip to Alaska sometime in your lifetime.....
Old Feb 2nd, 2004, 08:47 AM

We did a small boat cruise of the Inside Pasaage. It was the best trip I ever did. Went on the Glacier Bay Tours & Cruises, sailed on the Executive Explorer - maximum passengers 49! But, as other posters have said, a small boat isn't the best way to go with your children. Not any activites for them. But, if it's just you going, this is the best way to see the passage. We flew into Seattle, spent a few days there, then flew to Juneau. Cruised from there and ended in Kethican. Flew back to Seattle, then drove to Vancouver for a few days. We have friends who did a similar cruise, but also did a land trip through Denali.

However you decide to do this trip, big boat or small, the beauty of Alaska is amazing. I found myself standing on the observation deck turning in a circle because I didn't know where to look first! Have fun.
Old Feb 2nd, 2004, 08:50 AM

I only have one word for you in the "must" category:

BALCONY !!!!!