Search

Alaska Cruise ideas

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15th, 2024, 06:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alaska Cruise ideas

My husband and I are looking into a 7 day cruise from Vancouver to Alaska in June or July this summer. I am overwhelmed looking at all the options. I am not normally a cruise person but my husband has health issues so a cruise is the best way for him to see Alaska. Any thoughts on the best cruise line to take? I am also open to any suggestions on ports, day trips ect.

thanks, Kerry
Old Jan 15th, 2024, 08:05 AM

About a dozen years ago we did a Princess cruise from Vancouver and we enjoyed it very much. At the time the two cruise lines that departed from Vancouver were Princess and Holland America. Both had entry to Glacier Bay which was my priority. So I recommend that you check itineraries and see which cruise lines offer which port stops and opportunities. Prior to arriving at Glacier Bay, the National Park rangers came aboard and offered presentations and set up an exhibit where you could ask questions. The ship had a naturalist onboard to point out wildlife as well as a presentation from the first woman to win the Idiitarod and she had written a children's book about her experiences. That ship stopped at Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway and through the Glacier Bay and the College Fjords before docking at Whittier. We were unable to extend our time in Alaska then but have returned since. The cruise offered transportation to Anchorage and the ride from Whittier to Anchorage is especially scenic. It was a great experience.
Old Jan 15th, 2024, 09:37 AM

I agree with Madam397, I generally prefer the smaller Holland America ships over Princess although they are both owned by Carnival Corp now. And I also feel Glacier Bay should be a priority and prefer the one-way itineraries (Anchorage (Whittier) to Vancouver.
With health issues you are probably going to want a balcony, but in Glacier Bay if the weather is nice and the Captain opens up the bow viewing area, it is worth going out there.

Suggest you browse some YouTube videos where you can often fins walk-through tours of the ships. I like Noordam.