Alaska Cruise and road trip

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8th, 2004, 12:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My family and friends and planning this trip for May 2005. For the cruise we are looking at a cabin with an obstructed view. Does anyone know how bad the obstruction is? Can you see out at all? Also, does any one have any suggestions for our road trip to Denali?
Old Nov 9th, 2004, 03:38 AM

Be sure to plan your trip to Denali Park AFTER June 1, the shuttles to Eielson don't start running until that date- it is the MIN. distance in that I recommend- mile 66. Some obstructed cabins see very little. You may want to identify what ship and cabin?? I saw some cabins on the NCL Dawn I was on last week that have views of the lifeboats ONLY.
Old Nov 9th, 2004, 03:42 AM

My only experience has been on the state ferry. I spent most of the day with a book and binoculars on the observation deck where lectures were given every couple of hours. We walked around the deck and sat outside a bit but spent very little time in the cabin. Of course, the cabins on the ferry are very small. Great windows though! Maybe you won't spend much time in your cabin so the view doesn't matter.
I think there is a lot more to see and do if you head south from Anchorage instead of north to Denali. Except we really enjoyed Independence Mine in Hatcher Pass area. The pass doesn't open until July 4 or later so you have to approach from the Palmer side.
Old Nov 10th, 2004, 06:32 AM

We had a cabin with an obstructed view on the Sun Princess. I don't remember how bad it was because we really had no interest in looking out. If we wanted a good view, we just went up to the deck. The savings on the cabin more than made up for any inconvience
Old Nov 10th, 2004, 01:48 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your replies. I have so many questions! I am in the beginning stages of planning the trip. We are cruising into Whittier and then plan on renting a car and driving to Anchorage and Denali. Time and money are tight. Right now we are having trouble figuring out how to get from Whittier to Anchorage. There doesn't seem to be any car rental agencies in Whittier. Any suggestion?
Old Nov 10th, 2004, 02:43 PM

Unfortunately - you do NEED time and money for interior Alaska travel and too many people significantly underestimate this. If you can't allow enough- I would consider a cheaper round trip Alaska cruise out of Vancouver and save the interior for when time and money can be fully budgeted. Allow AT LEAST 5 extra days. As for Whittier- only agency is Avis- with a $125 drop off fee. Your other options are cruise contracted bus and rail. On northbound trips the regular rail is inconvenient and especially with min. time- I don't recommend it. Independent- there is http://www.polarexpressak.com/rates.html A much cheaper option for a rental car is round trip Anchorage.
Old Nov 10th, 2004, 02:45 PM

Also as mentioned above- depending on WHEN you are going should greatly impact on any Denali Park touring. Again I wouldn't consider anything before June 1.