Reload this Page >

Airport traffic in Boston

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19th, 2001, 03:01 PM
paul

I have been told to avoid flights from Logan Airport on a Friday at 8AM and 6PM because the traffic to the airport will be horrendous. Any thoughts and/or suggestions about this would be appreciated.

Old Jun 19th, 2001, 04:09 PM
gail

The land traffic to and from Logan is always pretty bad (unless it is the middle of the night). Friday AM is much preferable to Friday PM, though. Similarly, Monday AM is no picnic either. Logan is situated on a little spit of land and there are a limited number of ways in and out. They recently completed a third harbor tunnel, but it is open to general traffic only on a limited basis at this point (and it goes to south shore - to north you are limited to a few roads or a tunnel). As in any city, traffic is part of the package. They aaare digging up the whole city - the Big Dig - and that makes the whole mess worse. But as far as avoiding travel times - I wouldn't - just plan on more time to get wherever you are going.

Old Jun 19th, 2001, 06:45 PM
Cathy

what many people are doing in our suburb of Boston is flying out of Providence , R.I - you do not hve to deal with the traffic like in Boston and depending where you are going you may drive a few more miles yet get there quicker! Manchester, NH is another idea.The drawback is There is less flexibility in flight options compared to Logan.

Old Jun 19th, 2001, 07:24 PM
Pris

For what it's worth, if you are willing to use the subway and/or the water taxi instead of taxi or shuttle van or bus, it's not so bad. The "T" is crowded at rush hour, of course, but it's much faster than a cab or van. The water taxi will deposit you near the South Station/financial area (harbor/aquarium area) where you could pick up a cab without having to cope with the tunnel traffic -- depending on where you are going to or coming from.

Old Jun 20th, 2001, 05:22 AM
John

I agree with gail. Don't alter your plans, just allow for the (predictable) extra time required. that said there are "ways" to avoid or go around some of the traffic. (take a cab, they know them).
We plan our trips to leave early in the am before rush hour (flights prior to 9am--meaning you are at the airport by 8am). We try to avoid flying into Logan in the evenings between 4-7pm. Flying out of Logan then is no problem since youhave to get there by 4pm (before rush hour).