Airlines are ANTI-AMERICAN

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 11:03 AM
Joyce Korman

Dear Travelers,

Many of you already know that the major airlines, Delta, American, Continental and Northwest, have decided to completely cut commissions for tickets booked through travel agencies. You may think this does not affect you if you already book your tickets directly through the airlines or online. The airline's decision may affect everyone.

The airlines know that the majority of tickets sold are booked through travel agencies. They know that if they eliminate commissions they can save some money. What I want to know is why the airlines are still paying commission to travel agencies outside of the United States, Puerto Rico, US Virgin Islands and Canada? Wasn't it the US taxpayer's money that bailed the airlines out this past year? Why is it that if I worked in a travel agency in say, Afghanistan, the major airlines in the United States would pay me 9% commission on every ticket sold? Maybe next time the airlines should ask Afghanistan for "bail out" money. If you pay taxes, this may affect you.
Eventually travel agencies will stop issuing airline tickets. Wouldn't you if you were asked to work for nothing? When that day comes you will only be able to purchase tickets directly through the airlines themselves or on an airline owned website like Orbitz or Travelocity. The only place to purchase tickets from an unbiased source will be eliminated and the airlines will not lower their airfare less the former agencies' commissions either. If you plan to fly this may affect you.

The Travel Agency community has asked these questions to their Congressperson, Senators and even the White House and has not gotten any answers. Why these issues seem to be non-issues to them is a mystery to any of us. If you find you have similar questions I suggest you call your favorite airline and ask them. The bottom line is your money and that is the only thing airlines understand.

Thank you,

Joyce Korman
Lloyd Travel
Portland, OR

American Airlines Pays the Following Commissions to Foreign Countries with NO CAPS:

BELGIUM 7%
FRANCE/UK/SWITZERLAND 7%
SPAIN 7.5%
SWEDEN 7%
GERMANY 7%
POLAND 7%
NETHERLANDS 7%
AUSTRIA 7%
HUNGARY 7%
ITALY 7%
CARIBBEAN (EXCL PUERTO RICO AND US VIRGIN ISLANDS) 6%
CENTRAL AMERICA 6%
SOUTH AMERICA 6%
URUGUAY 6%
COLUMBIA 6%
MEXICO 6%
HONK KONG 7%
SINGAPORE 5%
THAILAND 7%
TAIWAN 7%
MALAYSIA 5%
PHILIPPINES 7%
JAPAN 7%
FIJI 7%
SRI LANKA 7%
S AFRICA 7%
NAMIBA 7%
LESOTHO 7%
BOTSWANA 7%
BAHRAIN 7%
QATAR 7%
UNITED ARAB EMIRATES 7%
EGYPT 7%
OMAN 7%
SAUDI ARABIA 7%

IN THE MIDDLE EAST AND NOT LISTED ABOVE 9%
IN THE PACIFIC AND NOT LISTED ABOVE 9%
IN THE ATLANTIC/EUROPE/ASIA AND NOT LISTED ABOVE 9%

UNITED STATES OF AMERICA 0%

WHAT IS WRONG WITH THIS PICTURE? Just a little more information to add to the anger. It appears from the above listed commissions that if we were in Pakistan we would get 9% commission. Osama was probably funding his terrorist camps with American Airlines commissions. Go figure.

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 11:18 AM
ohboy

Trust me, Joyce. What I am about to say is going to be much less harsh than inevitable wrath you're going to suffer from other posters.

Your argument would work a lot better -- and sound more sane -- if you avoided the phony-patrotism shtick.

Yeah, right, like we're all believing that Osama's evil is funded by airline commissions.

This is about TAs gettting clipped by the airlines, so stop pretending that you're patriotic or looking out for "our" best interests.

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 11:22 AM
youasked

I can certainly understand how YOU as a TA would be upset by this, but I still don't see how this affects travelers who book their own tickets.

You stated twice that this may affect us. My question is how? I already purchase only through Orbitz or Expedia, so what difference will this make to me?

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 11:26 AM
The BOSS

Your argument is ridiculous.

If I lived in Afganistan I would have no choice but to buy a ticket through a travel agent.

Since I live in the US, I have choices. I ALWAYS elect to avoid travel agents becuase they basically just add additional expenses to the process.

The airlines, like US citizens, have choices. They don't need the travel agents in the US, so why pay them? Out of loyalty? Or (as you somehow suggest), out of patriotism?

Supporting dying industry is not a way to run a business nor a country.

Instead of complaining, I'd advise you to move to Afganistan and open up a travel agency in Kabul.

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 11:27 AM
ohboy

Told ya, Joyce.

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 11:29 AM
gee

JOYCE KORMAN IS ANTI-INTELLIGENCE

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 11:30 AM
x

Most of the smarter agencies already have eliminated issuing tickets only AND they are charging fees anywhere from $10-40 and that will probably increase.

If you want symapthy Joyce you have come to the wrong place...

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 11:31 AM
Owen O'Neill

I'm as baffled as anyone by this policy change. I'll steer clear of discussing politics but do have a decided opinion on travel agents. For those of us who are Internet savvy and accustomed to regular traveling, travel agents are rarely if ever a necsssity when booking personal travel. For business travel, i find the services of our good and reliable travel agent to be a godsend. rather than monkeying around and taking time to get everything lined up, our admin calls them with the particulars - when one of needs to travel, price range of hotel we need etc. They have our preferences on file (aisle or window seat, smoking or non-smoking room, preferred airline etc.) and in short order we get a call back with the options based on price and convenience factors and then a printed itinerary is delivered the next day. We're a small company but do enough traveling that we'd need one staff person to spend 1/4 to 1/3 of their time to organize and expedite this if we had not travel agent. There are also folks who travel very rarely and need/appreciate/will pay for the assistance. I think it would make more sense to have internet only specials for folks who want to do their own booking and leave the commissions in place for the agents. Just my two cents...

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 11:35 AM
BillyBob

Joyce, you and your cohorts should have seen the writing on the wall. This was coming way before 9-11 and to throw patriotism in our face is an insult. If you didn't see this coming you are in a sad state of denial.

The agents that will survive are the ones offering niche business or packages. You need to adjust to the times, this is after all a new century.

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 11:35 AM
bubba

What a bunch bull! First, I question your statistic that most domestic airline tickets are booked through a travel agent (still must be some fools out there). Secondly, a travel agent is hardly an unbiased source. It's a proven fact that agents routinely book tickets not on convenience but on the price of their commision. A travel agent is a dinosaur in my mind. The only time I would even consider using one is if I was going on an around the world trip and had multiple stopping points. Face it, your being replaced by automation. The airlines can save money and so can the consumer by booking directly with the airline. I know you won't give me a free round trip ticket if I book four fligts through you. However, SW airlines will! Sorry, gotta go book my next on-line ticket.

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 11:36 AM
Megatrends

Since when is a travel agency the only "unbiased" way to purchase anything? Your preferred suppliers pay you to steer customers to them. Now they put that money into web sites and advertise directly to their customers, with no need for a middleman like you.

I used a travel agent in 1986, and once was enough. I've booked all my own travel directly with hotels and airlines ever since. The internet has made it even easier. I've had no need for an agent for the last 16 years and do not forsee the need for one any time in the future.

Yes, my tax money unwillingly went to "bail out" millionaire airline executives. But who do you think gave them this money? The very same Congress that you're pleading to now, the ones in the pockets of the airlines. You may want to consider that during the next Congressional election in your state.

Corporations run this country and the airlines are corporations. If they want to eliminate entire industries, like travel agencies, they will. If they want to ship all manufacturing and tech jobs overseas they will. Better polish up on your cashiering skills, because Walmart will be the only game in town and they always need new "associates."

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 11:37 AM
g

to the above poster:

but the Airlines are not eliminating the TAs. What they are saying is "OK, Mr. Small Company, if you want to use a travel agent, YOU are going to have to pay for it, not us."

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 11:38 AM
g

sorry my note "to the above poster"

is in reference to Owen O'Neill's response.

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 11:41 AM
Nick

Now you know how the guy who used to fill your gas tank felt when he first heard of self-serv. Bubba's right, the travel agent business is a dinosaur. PS: The bottom line isn't our money, it apparently seems to be all about your money. Sounds like you might be able to move south of the border and still get your commission.

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 11:42 AM
xxx

What the core issue here is probably that people are not traveling. The fact that this and the other TA thread are as active as they are and not taking a back seat to a destination thread shows you what kind of straits the airlines are in. All the airlines loss money not just from 9/11 but the down turn in our economy.

I would like to see people getting out and traveling again and perhaps this would expand this industry and increase the options for travelers. Until then just looks like less travel, less deals, less middle people like TA.

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 11:43 AM
nomore

You know what the best part of all this will be? When the travel agencies are finally run out of business, we will no longer have to wonder if all the so called helpful advice on Fodor's is really just TAs posting incognito to recommend their preferred suppliers! The TA threads of the past few days have proved that this site is literally crawling with them. Good riddance!

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 11:52 AM
waste

Joyce-
Maybe if you didn't waste your time posting bogus information and researching airlines statistics and instead DID YOUR JOB (novel idea) you wouldn't have anything to complain about in the first place. Seems to me TA's know very little about their industry at all and are incapable of providing the service they claim to be an expert in. Stop placing blame on others and realize, once and for all, that your lack of knowledge is what is making you a dying breed - NOTHING else.

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 11:53 AM
Sam

Actually, people are flying again for leisure. Business travel is down and that has to do with the economy and corporations cutting costs. A lot of companies have in-house agents and they recoup the commission money spent of travel.

As to Travel Agents wanting special treatment from Congress, no way. Where was the hand out for the auto workers when NAFTA caused their jobs to be shipped to Mexico. And where was the hand out to the textile workers and the rest of the workers who lost jobs because they were either being shipped overseas or downsized.

Sorry, travel agents you can't compete in today's economy, you close or get into another line of work....

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 11:55 AM
Why

Did you ever notice the travel agents screaming the loudest aren't working????

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 12:10 PM
I Have

OK,
I have to confess.

I use Travel Agents.

I use one to clean my house, one to clean the pool. One does my landscaping. Another walks my dog and washes my cars.

Oh, for travel advice and ticketing? Of course I only use the Internet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -