Airline Ticket purchase, need advice ASAP

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6th, 2004, 04:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Message: I am process of purchasing airline tickets for Orlando from Philly, last week of December, however, I need advice on the purchase..I found a webfare for $212.00 roundtrip (United),connecting flights both ways, with 3 hour layover on the return from Orlando....Should I wait, or buy now???So far all the other airlines are asking $300 and up, but I can possibly get tickets under $200 at Orbitz...One of the airlines said although non-airline sites are good for savings, they do not offers some of the conveniences the airlines do, if you buy it directly with say, USAIR...All of you travel experts out there, please help..I want to purchase them either tonight or tomorrow. I also read somewhere that if you wait until after 1am, and check the websites there are good deals as well.

HELP, I'm waiting.....

P.S. I just found another fare with Delta for $227 roundtrip per person, with 45 minute layover...Although the price is $15 more, the wait time is less. Does it matter??? Or does the $30 difference outweigh the layover. I am always so skeptical about booking with non airline sites, such as Orbitz, I've read so many horror stories. Please advise....Need to buy them today!!!!!!!
Old Mar 6th, 2004, 04:15 AM

A 45-minute layover isn't enough, don't even consider that alternative.
Old Mar 6th, 2004, 04:54 AM

Hi Louise,

I'm wondering why you are so rushed to purchase today??

I always watch fares over a short period of time (1-2 months), and have been very successful in finding a great rate & flight time.

Are there any direct flights available for your itinerary? I agree that 45 min. is not long enough for a connection. Winter months in Philly mean great chance of flight delays.

If you can be patient and watch fares for a few weeks, you'll be surprised how much they'll fluctuate.

Old Mar 6th, 2004, 04:58 AM

I also agree that 45 minutes isn't nearly long enough for a connection, but do we know for sure that the layover involves a connection and not just a stop on the way?
Old Mar 6th, 2004, 06:13 AM

You are buying tickets now (March) for Christmas Week in December? Wow, plan ahead! Are you traveling with kids (which makes a 3 hour layover really yicky)? Frankly, I'd pick a price I'm willing to pay (say, $220) and try to first get a non-stop flight (yeah, I'd probably pay $20 more for that) The Delta flight with 45 min instead of 3 hr layover would be my choice. BUT consider this-- you are reserving so far in advance it is highly likely that flight schedules will change between now and then, so that may not be a 45 minute (or 3 hr) layover by then. The Philly/Orlando flight route is pretty competitive. You can probably get just as good fares in September for December as you can today. (Or you may even find cheaper fares in July/August). I'd wait at least until July -- expecting to get a real bargain -- than buy now.
Old Mar 6th, 2004, 06:45 AM

louise,I would wait! I purchased our RT tickets to Orlando last year in August for travel in December and they were down to $119 RT!! Be patient and keep a close eye on the fares.You still have LOTS of time to purchase between now and then and I'll bet you'll find much better fares if you wait...(IMHO)
Good Luck! Debbie
Old Mar 6th, 2004, 07:14 AM

As for buying from other sites like Orbitz, you shouldn't worry about it. I buy most of my tickets from Orbitz, as I've found they generally have the best prices, and have never had a problem. This year alone, I've already bought tickets on Orbitz to Florida and Italy, and booked both hotels in Italy on Orbitz.
Old Mar 6th, 2004, 07:21 AM
emd

I'd agree you can wait for now.

I did make a dumb mistake last month on my own tickets for D.C.to Utah for April. I thought I could wait til just before 30 days and get the "30 day rate." So I logged on at like 34 days before my flight and the flight had gone up amlost $100. But that was ALOT closer to flight date, obviously...
Old Mar 6th, 2004, 09:03 AM
yk

louise-

STOP! Don't buy your ticket! 1st of all, I would agree with everybody that it is too early for late December.

2nd, did you check Southwest? They don't show up on Orbitz etc. Southwest is starting to service Philadelphia in May, and I just looked at their website. They fly NONSTOP from Philadelphia to Orlando, and the price they are listing now is $79 one-way.

Given the likelihood of a possible fare war between USAirways & Southwest once Southwest starts their service to Philadelphia, I predict the prices may even come down more.

Here is southwest's website:
http://www.southwest.com/
Old Mar 6th, 2004, 09:11 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone
I forgot to mention that is for the week of December 28th, returning Jan 1st or 2nd. I just thought since it was holiday week, my chances of getting good airfare would be over, if I waited to long.

Thanks again

PS I checked the Southwest airline website, and they do not have prices after August for Philly to Orlando. I have to keep watching.
Old Mar 6th, 2004, 05:57 PM

With Southwest you can get a credit if you don't fly. With other airlines, don't purchase too far in advance, the tickets are completely nonrefundable.
Old Mar 6th, 2004, 06:44 PM

In the past 5 years I have flown to various Florida locations 23 times (Orlando 4x) and I have only paid over $200 twice from my small town in Pennsylvania - this trip includes a commute thru Pittsburgh or Philadelphia. Every time on USAir. The lowest i paid was $98. I never book more than 2 months ahead, usually 3 weeks ahead.
Old Mar 9th, 2004, 05:50 AM

Go to fare watcher on Travelocity.com. Put your dates in and let them watch the fare for you. Also a vacation package is always cheaper. Hotel & Air or even Air & Car. Go online to the airlines your- self for vacation packages. Connecting is a hassle if you are traveling with children try for a direct flight I dont know if Jet-blue is in your area, but see. Jetblue.com or NWA.com for a package. Good Luck
Old Mar 9th, 2004, 07:24 AM

Hi louise,We are also looking for RT tickets to Orlando December 22nd till January 2nd.These past couple of years the tickets prices dropped drastically come July/August for fall travel.As soon as they drop we purchase them immediately...Good Luck,Debbie