Advice needed on Southwest itinerary

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13th, 2008, 07:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live in Chicago and am planning on driving west to stay with relatives first in San Francisco and then in LA. I have put this incomplete itinerary together for my drive back.

I was hoping more traveled posters could help me figure out how long I should stay in each place. Time isn't really a big issue: I'll be traveling in June and, as a teacher, I'll have the entire month of. The downside is, as a young teacher, money is somewhat of an issue. With that said, I don't mind staying in cheap hotels/motels and have some money saved.

Here's the itinerary for now:

LA -> Las Vegas (will be here for 3 days)
Las Vegas -> Grand Canyon south rim (3 days?)
Grand Canyon -> Monument Valley
Monument Valley -> Mesa Verde
Mesa Verde -> Taos

I appreciate any help or advice, even if it's trashing the plan set up thus far.
Old Dec 13th, 2008, 08:29 AM

If you are going anywhere near the Navajo Nation, then try the Many Farms Inn.

http://www.fodors.com/world/north-am...ew-436963.html

It's really part of the high school and a bit difficult to find ( when asking directions, just ask for the high school). Rates are incredibly reasonable and you will be doing a good deed by helping train young Navajos for hotel management.

For other segments of your journey, try Hostelling International. They are reliable, clean, and you can opt for either a dorm bed or a single room (if available). You need to sign up for a membership (believe it's less than $30), in order to get the better rate.

http://www.hiusa.org/

Book early for the summer, as there will be lots of students and Europeans traveling at the same time you will be.

There are also hostels that are unassociated with HI, but I'd be very careful with these, as standards may vary.
Old Dec 13th, 2008, 08:59 AM

Between Monument Valley and Mesa Verde there is a wonderful area of SE Utah you may not want to miss..I have a site called "Beyond Mesa Verde" with quite a bit of info about it. Hope this helps some.
http://reddirtdawg.blogspot.com/
Old Dec 13th, 2008, 10:16 AM

For the Grand Canyon, 2 nights and a full day between is usually enough unless you are going to be doing a lot of hiking. You will also have the afternoon of your arrival (the drive from LV is about 4.5 to 5 hours) and the morning before you depart.

To get the most from your Grand Canyon visit, try to stay inside the park. A room it Bright Angel Lodge, one of the old historic inns (designed by Mary Jane Colter) is very affordable, and will put you just steps from the rim of the canyon. A room with sink but no ensuite bathroom is $69 (toilets and showers, very clean and well--maintained, on in the hall). For $79, you get a small 1/2 bath (sink and toilet but no shower). For $90, you will get a private bathroom with your room.

Book this soon at www.grandcanyonlodges.com

They do fill up well in advance.

Spend your full day there exploring the area to the west---Hermit Road---and the viewpoints, and hike partway down one of the trails leading into the canyon.

When you depart for Monument Valley, you will drive the East Rim drive, so allow time to stop at various viewpoints, and see the Watchtower just before you exit the park.
Old Dec 13th, 2008, 11:14 AM

"I was hoping more traveled posters could help me figure out how long I should stay in each place. "

Tell us what your interests are and/or what you want to see. Are you into hiking and nature, do you want the standard sightseeing itinerary, are you interested in Native American history/culture?
Old Dec 13th, 2008, 11:56 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the help thus far!

To answer WhereAreWe: I'd say the standard itinerary. I'll admit I'm much more of a city person, but I figured I need to at least see what I'm missing.
Old Dec 13th, 2008, 04:15 PM

I understand your affinity for cities, but you're going to some of the most gorgeous outdoors area this nation offers.

for example, if you are oging to Las Vegas, I'd suggest looking into Zion and Bryce National Parks.

If you're going near the Grand Canyon and Page, then try to get to Antelope Canyon

http://www.antelopeslotcanyon.com/

If going to Monument Valley, there's reddirtdawg's suggestions.

If going to Taos, there's the Taos Pueblo, but there's also Las Alamos, Bandelier, etc. with tons of places to go in the vicinity.

I'd suggest doing more reading and also giving us more ideas of what you prefer to do, so that we can focus more on your interests.